Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2016, 05:14 AM   #1
Site Supporter

New info, Advance Camera, aperture fail

I sent an email to Advance Camera (Portland, OR) concerning the K30 that I've been using for manual lenses since the aperture failure. Their response was something that I've never heard before, so I'll include it here verbatim:

Thank you for contacting us about your Pentax cameras. With an issue like
this there is a magnet in the camera that can cause this type of problem.
Our technicians have had much success at servicing them and correcting the
problem. If the aperture motor does need to be replaced we are able to
order them, but we currently do not have any of them in stock.

If it is just a matter of disassembling the camera and cleaning out the
contacts and magnet that service runs $150 in labor and $5 in materials.
Obviously, there is some risk here if the motor really has failed, but there is a possiblity of a $50 (or more) savings on a repair performed by people who actually respond to emails. I have a subsequent email in asking if this is a mostly permanent fix.
In researching this, I also called Sun Camera in Canada. They would fix my K30 for about $250 cdn with some possibility of a customs hang up that would add more cost. They said that they recently received aperture motor blocks from Ricoh and have them in stock. This is interesting since Precision Camera still lists my K50 as awaiting parts. Perhaps there is a different part required, but I have sent an email to PC asking about my warranty repair status. From what I've heard, I should probably not expect an email back, so I'll commune with Ricoh on this starting Tuesday.

02-14-2016, 12:49 PM   #2
osv
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
throwing $250 at repairing a 16mp camera sure doesn't seem worthwhile, even $156 plus shipping is a bit of a stretch, i'd be looking for a more modern used body, if pc won't do the warranty repair.

sony also uses pc for repairs, we see some of the same bad service stories that pentax users have experienced... i saw a thread recently where pc wanted to charge $675 for the main board replacement in an a7r? you can get those cameras used for $1k or less all over the place.