Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2016, 03:54 PM   #1

Difference between K3 and K3ii?

I'm about to buy a K3 (body only) and I saw the price difference with the K3ii was only around $100.

Are there any other differences besides what I know:

- K3ii has GPS instead of flash
- K3ii has Pixel Shift

?

02-13-2016, 03:58 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Moropo Quote
I'm about to buy a K3 (body only) and I saw the price difference with the K3ii was only around $100.

Are there any other differences besides what I know:

- K3ii has GPS instead of flash
- K3ii has Pixel Shift

?
The remaining differences are minor.

The K-3 II has gotten some enhancements to the AF-C algorithm that apply to subjects moving toward the camera.

Finally, though were were not able to observe any difference in our review, the K-3 II specs claim that the camera compensates for up to 1 additional stop of camera shake with its updated SR.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-13-2016, 04:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Honestly, the on-board flash on the K-3 is useless (Some may disagree), I'd rather have the built-in GPS on the K-3ii any day and buy a separate flash such as the 360 or 540.

Sure the K-3ii has better AF, but it's not substantial enough to be a deal breaker.
02-13-2016, 05:23 PM   #4

Original Poster
I have a Metz 50 AF-1 so the lack of on-board flash doesn't mean anything for me. However, it's not like its replacement (the GPS) is a big deal for me.

The K3ii's Pixel Shift is something I wouldn't use.

So when I created the thread I was asking to see if there was something else because what I knew wasn't justifying the $100.

The improvement in autofocus is only in AF-C?

02-13-2016, 05:23 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The onboard flash on any Pentax DSLR is actually pretty good in terms of providing illumination when apertures are wide and ISOs are high. No, it is no replacement for something on the hotshoe. But if the choice is between using onboard or not getting the shot, I would rather have it than not.

Of course I use my DSLR for a lot of casual family shooting as well as for work, so I'm biased toward situations where onboard flash is in high demand. Others' circumstances may differ, and I happily concede that the ability to provide sufficient illumination does not always equate to providing optimal illumination. But sometimes the best is the enemy of good enough, and only the individual photographer can decide where they draw the line.
02-13-2016, 07:06 PM   #6
Forum Member

I have the K3ii and find the pixel shift to be useful. I love the color that pixel shift gives.
02-13-2016, 08:47 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recently (3 days ago) acquired a K3 after debating whether to go with the K3II instead.
After reading the reviews and the fact that I will likely never use the GPS, I chose the K3.
Better AF ? Not sure according to what I am seeing on the reviews and sample shots.
Better ?

JP

02-13-2016, 11:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

i have both k3 and k3ii.
k3ii is better in every respect.
i got blury pics from my k3 2 from 5 but k3ii gives me sharp and clarity pics.
af may be similar!!!
02-15-2016, 09:38 AM   #9

Original Poster
I just received the trade-in credit at Amazon for my K50 and decided to go ahead and buy the K3ii. For ~$115 difference I decided to buy the latest model. I didnt want to be wishing later on that I had bought the K3ii instead of the K3 etc.

By the way I saw on the Amazon reviews/questions some people mentioning some type of recall on the K3ii depending on serial numbers? I didnt place much credence in that since I am sure it would have been mentioning here in this website.
02-16-2016, 12:39 AM   #10
Forum Member

Confirm, Pentax K3-II stabilisation is way better than K-3...
02-16-2016, 12:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Honestly, the on-board flash on the K-3 is useless (Some may disagree), I'd rather have the built-in GPS on the K-3ii any day and buy a separate flash such as the 360 or 540.

Sure the K-3ii has better AF, but it's not substantial enough to be a deal breaker.
Actually, many of us would disagree because the K-3 flash broke new ground that was particularly useful for multi-flash photography, especially when working around the limits of pTTL, and for emergency fill-in needs when unexpected shadows interfere with important moments (rare but essential when needed).

I'm yet to find a situation when GPS would have improved a photograph, but it is a matter of personal preferences. What has been evident is that the K-3ii became much more deeply discounted sooner than the K-3 and given the pricing trend-line we might see the K-3ii priced the same or slightly less than the K-3 used after these models are retired.
02-18-2016, 08:14 PM   #12
Forum Member

I don't know about the K3 as I don't have one. However, I am very impressed with the autofocus of the K3ii. I've been photographing waterfalls with 10 stops of Nd filters and polarizers and the K3ii has autofocused through the 10 stops.