Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2008, 12:44 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Remote E or F

Does anyone have any insight on the pros/cons of the Pentax Remote E versus the the Pentax Remote F? It appears that one can zoom with the E remote, but I am not sure of the benefit if you cannot see what it is doing!

07-04-2008, 12:47 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krs Quote
Does anyone have any insight on the pros/cons of the Pentax Remote E versus the the Pentax Remote F? It appears that one can zoom with the E remote, but I am not sure of the benefit if you cannot see what it is doing!
I suspect that you would need a power zoom lens for the Remote E to zoom the lens. I use the remote F that came with my D-BG2 grip, and the only difficulties I have found with it are:
  • It is so small I find it hard to find in a shirt pocket
  • The range is very short in bright sunshine (IR remote)
It does allow Bulb exposures.
07-05-2008, 04:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have disassebled F type remote, and I need to say - it is identical to E type
The only difference is lack of button in the plastic body. The schemes are identical!
You can manually convert F remote to E remote just by cutting hole for new button and inserting it from some calculator for example.
07-05-2008, 05:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krs Quote
I have both. They do the same with Pentax DSLRs.

07-05-2008, 06:54 PM   #5

I can't really answer your original question, as I have neither. But I have a Pentax C remote (I think) and a cheap Chinese remote. The cheap Jianisi-brand remote beats the Pentax hands down, with about three times the range, even in bright sunlight. And it's $5, free shipping! Can't beat that.

DealExtreme: $4.46 Jianisi Universal Digital SLR Remote for Pentax / Nikon / Canon / Konica Minolta
07-05-2008, 07:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
joefru I can't really answer your original question, as I have neither. But I have a Pentax C remote (I think) and a cheap Chinese remote. The cheap Jianisi-brand remote beats the Pentax hands down, with about three times the range, even in bright sunlight. And it's $5, free shipping! Can't beat that.
I do not own a remote yet for the K20--this is too good to pass up. especially with your thumbs up. In the list of cameras it mentions the K10, but not the K20--but I know that the K20 is sometimes omitted from compatibility lists simply because it is new, and predates the list's making.

Do you know if this will work with the K20? Thanks.

Regards,

Ernest
07-06-2008, 05:05 AM   #7
Moo

I have a cheap Chinese ebay remote, pentax-only, and it has the problem mentioned by someone else recently where it won't do bulb mode..
I haven't tried the any-camera loads-of-useless-buttons cheap ebay remotes, but from what I've seen they are even cheaper than the pentax-only ones.. They may or may not have the same problem..
07-06-2008, 12:58 PM   #8

I can't confirm 100% that it works for the K20, but every other remote does, so I can't see why this one won't. As for the bulb mode, I just tried it, and I end up with a 1/2-sec exposure every time. However, I really can't ever see using a wireless remote for bulb. I have this $5 wired remote. I used it a lot for Friday's fireworks and it didn't miss a beat.