Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2008, 12:45 PM   #1

Turning off flash on K200D

Hi,

I recently purchased a K200D and am still learning about all of the various functions and features on it. One thing I can't seem to find is how to disable the built-in flash when using it in macro mode. Can this be done? If so, how?

Thanks for your help.

Anne

07-04-2008, 12:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In macro or any other mode you can always disable flash. Use the Fn button and press the down arrow. Select Manual for flash. Hit the OK button. Now if you want to use flash, then press the flash button and it pops up. If you don't want to use it then make sure the flash is not up. If it is up, then gently press it down to its down position. Hope this helps.
07-05-2008, 09:01 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, but don't see it

Thanks for the reply. However, when I go to the fn screen and try adjusting it, I'm only presented with five options and none of them seem to provide a manual option. I get:

Auto discharge
Flash on
Auto flash+Redeye reduct
Flash On+Red-eye
Wireless mode

Is there anywhere else it could possibly be?

Thanks,
Anne
07-05-2008, 12:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As long as you aren't in one of the automatic picture modes then the flash will never fire unless you raise it manually.

07-05-2008, 08:37 PM   #5

Original Poster
I'm assuming that macro mode is one of the automatic picture modes. That's the mode I'd like to be able to use without the flash, but I can't seem to do it. Anytime I try, the built-in flash automatically pops up. Surely there has to be a way to use the macro function without an automatic flash. I just can't seem to figure out what it is and can't find it in the user's manual.
07-05-2008, 09:45 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luzianne Quote
I'm assuming that macro mode is one of the automatic picture modes. That's the mode I'd like to be able to use without the flash, but I can't seem to do it. Anytime I try, the built-in flash automatically pops up. Surely there has to be a way to use the macro function without an automatic flash. I just can't seem to figure out what it is and can't find it in the user's manual.
It seems like you're trying to get the best of both worlds - automatic and manual functions. The "macro" mode of the camera will make all of the exposure decisions for you, including flash. This mode does not do anything that you can't do with Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO adjustments. I'd suggest becoming more comfortable with settings required for macro photography, and using Av or Manual mode if this is important to you.