Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2016, 02:28 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
I always thought this was the reason for a backup in the first place. I'll be keeping my K-5 IIs to use in emergencies. I'd hate to have to cancel planned shoots because the camera died. The K-5IIs has served me well enough until now, and since I'm not doing paid work, is more than sufficient.
Well, that's my thinking too, but I guess it's down to individual needs... I can see where nomadkng is coming from, but we obviously have very different needs from our gear. Frankly, I still regularly swap between my "inferior" (to use nomadkng's terminology) K5 and my K3... I tend to use the K5 either for my M42 lenses or sometimes just have a very different focal length lens on it. I could use the K3 for everything, but often the K5 is more than "good enough" for what I need to achieve. If I had to rely on just the K5 for a while, I'd be quite happy. And while the IQ from my FF "Sonyblad HumVee" (!) is wonderful (and the AF is better, as is the manual focus peaking and a whole bunch of other stuff), I still use the K3 as my main camera - and will continue to do so, I think...

02-16-2016, 02:30 PM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
My 2 cents, either you already planned to get a full frame camera and sold your apsc stuff at a good price, or you still have you k-5 / k3 / K-3II and lenses and then, you'd better keep as a piece of museum apsc camera system.
Why? Because if Ricoh decided to do a ff camera it is because they believe that apsc market was maturing and that price dropping ff sensor signed the beginning of a new era: spreading of ff digital.
In less than 5 year, you'll see that apsc camera will have nearly disappeared ...
Nah, not a chance that APSC cameras will have disappeared in five years. They're still quality sensors, a reasonable size, yadda, yadda, yadda...

Pentax / Ricoh introduced the FF K-1 to have a full line-up. I believe they're showing their interest in having a better selection and, perhaps, if the marketing / service side can be improved, making a profitable push for expansion in the market. But even if they are just happy with today's market share, they have very little motivation to turn APSC cameras and lenses into museum pieces.
02-16-2016, 02:37 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My plan if I do buy a K-1 (and I am very likely to) is to also buy another 18-55 kit lens and gift my K-5 and K-7 to my kids, one each. The K-1 and K-3 should be a very good combination.
02-16-2016, 02:38 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Nah, not a chance that APSC cameras will have disappeared in five years. They're still quality sensors, a reasonable size, yadda, yadda, yadda...

Pentax / Ricoh introduced the FF K-1 to have a full line-up. I believe they're showing their interest in having a better selection and, perhaps, if the marketing / service side can be improved, making a profitable push for expansion in the market. But even if they are just happy with today's market share, they have very little motivation to turn APSC cameras and lenses into museum pieces.
I couldn't agree more.

There are people for whom APS-C is preferable - due to cost, form factor, legacy DA lens or image capture aspects (depth of field / narrower field of view etc.). That's why Nikon has put so much into the development - and co-launch alongside the D5 - of the D500. Death of APS-C may happen eventually, but if it does, it'll take some time, I think... and there will still be *many* people who'll continue using legacy APS-C cameras long after that... enjoying some fabulous bargains in great APS-C lenses, no doubt!

02-17-2016, 01:48 AM   #50
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Maybe, but I hope to pick up a low mileage K-5IIs sometime over the next 12 months, I have a K-5 and really like it, so, when the prices go down on the K-5IIs maybe I'll be lucky, a bit like how some hang onto the K10D (for different reasons) I want to hang onto a couple K-5's.
For me the K-1 may be about 24 months away, might be a few bargains around then, let the early adopters sort out the bugs

Last edited by beachgardener; 02-17-2016 at 01:51 AM. Reason: add info.
02-17-2016, 06:09 PM   #51
Emperor and Senpai

I will use both my K3 and K1 so not from me!
02-17-2016, 06:21 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you re a long lens user, the K-3 still has advantages over the K-1. The K-1 has a sensor that's between a K20D and K-5 in resolution. Not even close to a K-3. To have a K-1 out resolve a K-5, using a long lens where you are cropping beyond APS_c size, you need a 20% to 50% longer lens. Ditto for macro. IF you can't use the whole FF frame, and sometimes I can't even use the whole APS-c frame, it won't take long until the K-3 gives you the better image with he same lens.

If I do splurge for a K-1, I'll carry both bodies. I currently carry a K-01 for landscape. With the 40XS on it, it won't even take much space in the bag.

Last edited by normhead; 02-17-2016 at 06:28 PM.
02-17-2016, 06:23 PM   #53
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If you re a long lens user, the K-3 still has advantages over the K-1. The K-1 has a sensor that's between a K20D and K-5 in resolution. Not even close to a K-3. To have a K-1 out resolve a K-5, using a long lens where you are cropping beyond APS_c size, you need a 20% to 50% longer lens. Ditto for macro. IF you can't use the whole FF frame, and sometimes I can't even use the whole APS-c frame, it won't take long until the K-3 gives you the better image with he same lens.
The K3 for birds and animals makes a lot of sense to me too. I will certainly retain it.