Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-15-2016, 10:00 PM   #1
Forum Member

I wonder if there will be a flood of used K3/K3ii on the market when FF hits stores

Do you guys think there will be a flood of used K3/K3ii for sale once the FF K-1 hits the market?

02-15-2016, 10:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe. Or possibly a flood of k-5 series cameras as people who had a k-3 with a k-5 backup sell the k-5 and move the k-3 to backup.

I would expect there to be some k-3s added to the market, but not a flood by any means. For two reasons: first the k-1 is a different format and I suspect most buyers of a k-1 will be keeping the k-3 to use as an APS-C camera. Second, I think most people interested in having a k-1 would not have only a single camera. I always have two bodies, for a backup on the job and in case I need to send one in for service. My debate at this time is whether to sell the k-5IIs or keep it as a second backup.
02-15-2016, 10:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I see the K1 as mostly a complimentary camera..... so my K3 is staying..... may sell my K5II though.... as mentioned above.
02-15-2016, 10:11 PM   #4
Closed Account

I think most people will wait for some feedback on the FF. There might be a trickle at first, but if it is as good as we hope, stand back from the floodgates. There might be more K5 series " jumpers " 1st as the K3 is still quite new and also fantastic ( I have one !! )

02-15-2016, 10:27 PM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Probably nothing significant. Never hurts to have a backup body

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-15-2016, 11:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Probably nothing significant. Never hurts to have a backup body
Well, the K-3 still gives you 24Mpixel and 8 FPS, so you may still keep the K-3 depending what you want to shot. Several of my Canon friends have both 7Ds and 5Ds, carrying the 7D with a 100-400 on it for long shots and 5Ds with a 24-105. But if the K-1 is about the same size as a K-3 and K-1 crop mode deliver as good as a K-3, then it will no make much sense to own both camera, except to keep the K-3 as a backup, as you say.
02-15-2016, 11:32 PM   #7
mee
Veteran Member

The bigger issue is the K-1 is going to potentially cost a lot.. 2k dollars or so. That is probably around or over many of our APS-C setups... bodies and lenses combined... for this one K-1 body. You can buy 3 K-3's for the price of 1 K-1. So that could be a much larger issue than even format..

And that is only assuming one needs to buy the camera body.. if they only had non-FF DA lenses then it's off to the races..

02-16-2016, 12:45 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
You can buy 3 K-3's for the price of 1 K-1.
Or 5 K-5's. Hence the naming?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-16-2016, 12:55 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
You can buy 3 K-3's for the price of 1 K-1. So that could be a much larger issue than even format..
If you look at the price of a one time purchase, yes, FF is twice the price of APSC equivalent.

I don't see it this way. If you consider the product life time (number of months between release of new models), IMO cost per year of FF is the same as APSC. For example, someone who had purchased a D800E 4 years ago would roughly still get start of the art image quality / camera performance, which spread over 4 years cost no more than more frequent APSC updates, + having enjoyed FF IQ for 4 years already. So, for the joy of frequent purchases, APSC is better (because for the same amount of money you can purchase something new once a year or so.., you like to await for this amazon delivery and unpacking of this new small lens etc...). I remember the days I had LBA, I ended-up with buying two or three new lenses per year and upgrade camera at each new model, to actually see very little step up in quality. Then I realized that I don't even use half of what I have, so I sold most of it. For me, I get a full frame and three lenses and I'd done for the next 5 years at least.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-16-2016 at 01:02 AM.
02-16-2016, 02:15 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't see why there should be - 36x24 format does not automatically mean 'better', it's just different. Both formats have their strengths and weaknesses depending on your type of photography. Given the performance level of the K-3/K-3II, it would make no sense for me and I have no intention of changing. Indeed, if the leaked specs of the K-1 are correct, the K-3II does much of it already.
02-16-2016, 03:22 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I don't see myself lugging around a K1 and FF lenses while hiking or travelling internationally. The K3 and DA Limited lenses make for a much more agreeable travel kit, so they will stay.
02-16-2016, 03:38 AM   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I don't see myself lugging around a K1 and FF lenses while hiking or travelling internationally. The K3 and DA Limited lenses make for a much more agreeable travel kit, so they will stay.
I agree. I bought a Sony A99-based Hasselblad HV recently, along with two lenses - a 24-70 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8. I love the setup, but I wouldn't dream of lugging it around on a day of walking. The K3 / K3II (or any of the K5 onwards) bodies plus DA lenses are so light and compact by comparison. My K3 & K3II will continue to be my main day-to-day DSLRs...
02-16-2016, 04:19 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Both my K-3s will stay if I get the K-1 (which is by no means certain).

One of my k-3s was dropped into a river and hence can't ethically be sold even though it seems fine. The other...well...it'll be my general back-up and primary travel body as the K-1 is likely too big for me, a 60+ female, to drag up hill and down dale.

Plus, the K-3 is a really nice camera, so I suspect people will hang onto it, especially as the new price has dropped to almost ridiculous levels and hence 2nd hand prices will be even lower. More value in keeping than in selling. Just my 0.02c worth.
02-16-2016, 05:05 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
36x24 format does not automatically mean 'better', it's just different.
IMO it will all come down to what new goodies they have put inside the K-1 that are independent of the sensor size. That (if anything) is what will make the K-1 "better" than the K-3.

Certainly the control layout looks interesting.
02-16-2016, 05:05 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I don't know about camera bodies, the resale value isn't all THAT attractive. But lenses retain their value much better. I can imagine people selling crop-only lenses to help fund that K-1.