Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2007, 06:05 PM   #1

Wrong Date/Timestamp w/K10D?

Greetings,

I'm confused.

K10D

My EXIF timestamp shows the correct time the image was acquired, but Windows shows the wrong Timestamp as far as the file is concerned. What gives?

EXIF=DateTime - 2007:02:10 12:37:20

Windows=Today, February 10, 2007, 6:37:20 AM

Hopefully my flux capacitor is not wanging out.

Anyone else w/K10D timestamp issues?

Thanks,

James

02-10-2007, 06:23 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I don't know about your flux capacitor but I guess Windows shows the date/time you transfered the file from the camer to the hard drive. That is assuming you read the date/time in Explorer in your example above. Explorer doesn't read the EXIF but the moment the file was created/changed on the computer. Or is there anything in your description I miss?
02-10-2007, 06:51 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
I don't know about your flux capacitor but I guess Windows shows the date/time you transfered the file from the camer to the hard drive. That is assuming you read the date/time in Explorer in your example above. Explorer doesn't read the EXIF but the moment the file was created/changed on the computer. Or is there anything in your description I miss?
Jonas,

Thank you for your reply.

It is not the transfer time. Windows allows you to use either modified or created file times, but although the EXIF info is correct NEITHER the modified or created times are correct.

James
02-10-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Time zone difference? Is the local time of your K10D set the same as your computer?

02-10-2007, 07:01 PM   #5
Inactive Account

You are right. That was a stupid reply on my side. I should have checked the times before replying. Sorry.
02-10-2007, 09:22 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Time zone difference? Is the local time of your K10D set the same as your computer?
The time zone appears to be OK, I do notice the difference is -6 hours --which is what Central Standard time is from GMT.. (GMT -6). But the time on the back of the K10D when turned on/booted is correct.
02-10-2007, 09:24 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
You are right. That was a stupid reply on my side. I should have checked the times before replying. Sorry.
No problem Jonas-- I'm open to any suggestions-- I'm sure it's something I'm just missing and I need ideas like yours...

02-10-2007, 11:33 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by jteel3 Quote
Greetings,

My EXIF timestamp shows the correct time the image was acquired, but Windows shows the wrong Timestamp as far as the file is concerned. What gives?
That's exactly correct, window Explorer does not read EXIF data; it lists the time the file was transferred to the computer as the file creation date. As far as windows is concerned, that IS when the file was created!
02-11-2007, 01:02 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dana G Quote
That's exactly correct, window Explorer does not read EXIF data; it lists the time the file was transferred to the computer as the file creation date. As far as windows is concerned, that IS when the file was created!
Dana,

Thanks for your response.

Windows is smart enough to recognize SD cards as drives/volumes. As such, it recognizes the attributes of files that exist on that drive- otherwise every file transferred to the hard drive would have nearly the same exact timestamp.

That's not the case.

My file times appear to be SIX hours prior to the time the photo was actually taken. If I take a photo this minute, shove the card into the reader, Windows lists the time as six hours earlier. The minutes are correct, but not the hour.

I'm sure it's just something I'm doing/have done wrong, I just can't figure out what it is.

Please keep the ideas flowing, and Thanks.
02-11-2007, 04:40 PM   #10

Original Poster
PROBLEM SOLVED! - (flaky Card Reader)

Thank you to those who responded.

The problem turned out to be the card reader I was using. It is integrated into my HP2575 printer, and apparently there is an incompatibility between the reader and the file information contained as it exists on the SD card.

When I connected the K10D to my PC with USB, everything is back to normal.

Thanks again,

James