Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Are you a "pro" photographer?
YES, i work full time as a photographer and fully charge 53.88%
SOMETIMES, i charge just sometimes but photography is not my full time job. 2720.93%
NO, most of my job i do it as a hobby 7658.91%
IN THE FUTURE, im planning to become a full time photographer in the near future 107.75%
USED TO BE, im not working as a photographer at this time. 118.53%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-16-2016, 07:02 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, I'm a pro. I get hired (and paid) and make most of my living with my Pentax cameras.

Just curious; does this validate anything for you?

02-16-2016, 08:04 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote

Just curious; does this validate anything for you?
Not really, just that all this K1 aimed for pros, and pro lenses and bla bla bla.. I wondered what percentage of the forum members were actually working full time as photographers .. or that gets some profit coming from photography.

Last edited by kooks; 02-16-2016 at 08:57 PM.
02-16-2016, 08:10 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
I wouldn't define a professional as someone who makes money off of an expertise or who charges. I would say that a professional is someone who has achieved a certain level of mastery of a field. I have sold photos and even services, but that does not make me a pro. Even if I earned all my money off of photography, that would not make me a pro. I'd rather, then, that you phrase the issue as "who makes money, or tries to make money, from photography".

Hmmm. I have a Commercial Pilot's license, and was a First Officer for Continental during 9/11. I'm also a Certified Flight Instructor. But I don't make any money and am not employed in aviation at the current time. Am I a professional pilot?

I do derive 100% of my income from photography. Which I think makes that status re: photography more clear... There is no Commercial photographers license, yet.

I also know people who derive 100% of their income from photography and don't know that an aperture has anything to do with a flash... as an example.

---------- Post added 02-16-16 at 08:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
Not really, just that all this K1 aimed for pros, and pro lenses and bla bla bla.. I wondered what percentage of the forum members were actually working full time as photographers .. or at get some profit coming from photography.

As one of the 5 people who responded as "Full Time Pro" (so far) I can tell you that the FF missed the mark with me if it was aimed at me... If I needed a FF I'd already be shooting with a Canon or Nikon by now.
02-16-2016, 09:05 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm one of the used to be "pro", but only rarely used my personal Pentax gear.
I worked in corporate aerospace, used company Nikons, Hasselblads, & Rollei film gear.
got out in the early '90s

Still do some pro-bono work for local non-profits,
I get paid in thank-yous and use my Pentax gear

02-16-2016, 09:16 PM   #20

My college professor said it best.

A professional photographer makes money off their photos. An amateur photographer does not.

Doesn't matter the skillset. If you make money off your photos you are a pro, whether your product is good or not, which is another debate in itself.
02-16-2016, 09:45 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shoot nothing but Pentax bodies with a couple Tamron and Sigma lens sprinkled in the mix. Photography will be my full time gig in early june. It could actually have been my living for the last year or so. I've been using my daytime job to make sure I have all the equipment that I will need for a while. IMHO being a pro is almost as much selling yourself and your services as it is being a talented photographer. For a while I focused almost exclusively on the technical and artistic aspects of photography. I find many members on the forums that I feel are better photographers than am. I am just lucky enough to have the gift of gab. I have learned and continue to learn from many of you each day. This knowledge has helped me put better images in the hand of my customers that has helped me be able to "live the dream".
02-16-2016, 09:54 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron_Man Quote
My college professor said it best.

A professional photographer makes money off their photos. An amateur photographer does not.

Doesn't matter the skillset. If you make money off your photos you are a pro, whether your product is good or not, which is another debate in itself.

Exactly..

02-17-2016, 12:09 AM   #23

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
What about those who sell work at exhibition, shows, fairs etc on a regular basis ? Professional or semi-pro or what ?
selling work at fairs means you are an artist, but not necessarily a professional photographer. but by pro has nothing to do with your quality of work.
02-17-2016, 12:52 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HudsonShooter Quote
selling work at fairs means you are an artist, but not necessarily a professional photographer. but by pro has nothing to do with your quality of work.
I agree. I personally classify myself as an artist. I sell paintings and photography. So I've never, ever considered myself a pro. However, I cannot persuade my insurance company that my photo gear is not used for professional purposes. Any hint that a penny is made from my photography and agencies want to classify me as a professional photographer. So I'll not be entering into this survey in either of the top two categories.