Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2008, 09:59 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just want to point out that Rice appears to be a Canon Fan, and the exposure section doesn't look all that favorable towards the 450D either.

Without me reading over the full review (which I don't have the time to today) I'd have to say that he's just stating his honest opinion determined by what he's seen.

I'm actually greatful that he's looking for solutions to possible problems.
Unlike some people I've seen posting whom just find a problem and hold it against the brand.

07-05-2008, 02:25 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Your right

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I just want to point out that Rice appears to be a Canon Fan, and the exposure section doesn't look all that favorable towards the 450D either.

Without me reading over the full review (which I don't have the time to today) I'd have to say that he's just stating his honest opinion determined by what he's seen.

I'm actually greatful that he's looking for solutions to possible problems.
Unlike some people I've seen posting whom just find a problem and hold it against the brand.
See how he bashes Canon (sarcasm intended). Notice the deflection back to Pentax (pretty obvious don't you think)
The King of Overexposure belongs to the 450D, which has also an unbelieveable high rate of 52.8% (!?) of overexposure recorded (as they could be if not compensated). Whilst many Pentax fanboys always talked about the overexposure issue of the entry level Canon DSLRs just in order to defend the infamous underexposure problem of the Pentax DSLRs, I actually found those kind of defense is silly and pointless. Does a tends-to-overexpose-most 450D would turn a tends-to-underexpose-most K20D into a correctly exposing DSLR with their unsubstantiated argument? This stupidity just recalls my memory of my primary school classmates who told my teachers about the wrong acts of other classmates when they were caught of doing something wrong! ;-)

And after in excess of 6 iterations of DSLR's the dummies at Pentax (who built some of the worlds BEST digital spotmeters) couldn't make a lightmeter if there life depended on it. I'll grant you that it's 9 zone (or whatever) meter board is not the worlds shining-est example of engineering on the planet.

My final word for all the "underexposure fanatics
From my sig at dpreview, a quote from Mr. Puts of Leica fame. Please check his credentials :
'The exposure meter is calibrated to some clearly defined standards and the user needs to adjust his working method and his subject matter to these values. It does not help to suppose all kinds of assumptions that do not exist.'
Erwin Puts

Last edited by jeffkrol; 07-05-2008 at 09:23 PM.
07-05-2008, 08:44 PM   #18

Original Poster
So far metering seems to be the only issue listed, but I think it is due to the "culture" different between various camera makers. It is something the user needs to adapt to with every brand.
Isn't there a low light focusing issue, or that is not a defective function, it is the charactistic of a normal K20D?
07-05-2008, 09:41 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eman Quote
So far metering seems to be the only issue listed, but I think it is due to the "culture" different between various camera makers. It is something the user needs to adapt to with every brand.
Isn't there a low light focusing issue, or that is not a defective function, it is the charactistic of a normal K20D?
just go through all these and decide for yourself... there are good and not so good reviews here, and no the k20d will not win any low light speed tests but you have to 1)decide what you consider low light and 2) what you consider is too slow for you.:
Pentax K20D Review

07-05-2008, 09:46 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Go out and take pictures. That's the best way to see if the equipment works.
Couldn't agree more.
07-05-2008, 09:59 PM   #21
Inactive Account

To have meaning the tests would have to be run under the EXACT same conditions. In other words conducted with either all images captured simultaneously as was previously mentioned by another poster or all images captured under carefully monitored laboratory conditions. If this was not done, the test results are skewed and are simply numbers. They have no validity whatsoever.

Reminds me of the Dish Network commercial where the guy says that 90% of all statistics can be made to say anything.....50% of the time.

For further info, look up Mark Twain's quote about statistics.

CW

Last edited by straightshooter; 07-07-2008 at 03:41 PM.
07-05-2008, 10:30 PM   #22
Inactive Account

I ordered the K20D last Monday on Amazon and had it in my hands on Wednesday. It is heavier than the K100D and has a lot more buttons, that put all the features you want to use at your fingertips.
My camera had a bright white spot on the right hand side. A bunch of hot pixels. See pictures at Flickr: MartinStein's stuff tagged with dust
I mentioned this to Amazons help and the told me to send it back within 30 days. A replacement was send immediately. Wow - very happy with Amazon.

I did not get the hot cluster on all pictures, but it did show up on the dust mapping screen - the camera can find dust on the sensor!

Compared to the K100D the mirror is much more quiet, and the speed the pictures are written to the SD card is amazing.