Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2016, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #1

New K-x battery options...

Hi, after reading this blog post:

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Better K-x Rechargable Solution? Is the NiZn Safe?

I've called Ricoh Imaging Germany today to get information about the input voltage range of this DSLR. I suspected something around 7.4 V (as the successor, the K-r had a Li-ion battery with this voltage). After some searching, the hotline emplyee told me it's up to 25 V!!!

That means, you could insert four fully charged 14500 Li-ion batteries without touching the limit. To be honest, I'm afraid of trying it out, because I don't have the courage to actually test it. You als need to check the cell voltage frequently, because most 14500s are offered as unprotected cells. What I have tried: using two 14500s with two dummy cells in my K-x. The battery status bar is always solid green until the camera fails to actuate the shutter because the near-empty batteries can't deliver a high enough current.
What are your thoughts?

02-17-2016, 11:42 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Amigo Quote
What are your thoughts?
My thought is that the Eneloops work just fine with no risk. I guess I'm not a bleeding edge kinda guy. Most likely this will work, but if it doesn't or causes long term damage not seen at once then the camera is toast. I don't see enough up side.
02-17-2016, 12:18 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
My thought is that the Eneloops work just fine with no risk.
+1
reading this blog post:

...[link to over-elevated food grain]...

What are your thoughts?
The internet can be fun,
but since they're not making any more K-x cameras,
why risk frying the ones that are left?
02-17-2016, 02:02 PM   #4

Hi,

You should be able to get protected LiIon batteries. Also, another slightly different path might be LiPo batteries. These have slightly lower voltage than the LiIon batteries and are less "volatile".

Also, what is the goal here? You won't find capacity more than, say 900 mAh for the 14500 batteries whereas Eneloops are something like > 2000 mAh.

I guess that the LiIon/LiPo batteries would have the advantage that they'd have less loss if not being used, but I suspect that the cameras are drawing power from their batteries all the time anyway?

Jim

EDIT: Example - Eagletac 14500 protected: http://www.amazon.com/EagleTac-Protected-Rechargeable-Battery-1X14500/dp/B0091U60UY

NOTE: Stay away from/avoid "Ultrafire" batteries...

Last edited by ohaya; 02-17-2016 at 02:13 PM.
02-17-2016, 02:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I've always used Energizer Lithiums in my K-x...until I recently got some Panasonic Eneloop Pro Ni-Mh rechargables (the 2500 mAh variety). I haven't really decided yet which to go forward with, although the eneloops are running strong. They're both pretty expensive but the rechargables should be cheaper in the long run...if they work
02-17-2016, 03:08 PM   #6

Original Poster
Okay, basically I have trouble using NiMH at temperatures like we have now, i.e. -10 - 0C. The voltage/capacity often drops too fast. Regular eneloop batteries should be better in the cold than the pro/XX version from what I've read. NiZn and LiFePO4 should even handle temperatures down to -20C. Using two LiFePO4 (not lipo, that means lithium-polymere which has voltage characteristics similar to lithium-ion) cells, you don't need protection circuits, since the max. discharge voltage is around 2V, where the camera automatically shuts off. NiZn requires expensive (SkyRC MC3000) or non-versatile (Ansmann, Voltcraft) chargers. Failure rate of NiZn cells seems high, don't know if more current products have improved that. If this camera can really take 25V of input, then why don't use four 14500 cells instead of two, if there's even more energy in them?
02-17-2016, 03:22 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sandbasser Quote
until I recently got some Panasonic Eneloop Pro Ni-Mh rechargables (the 2500 mAh variety). I haven't really decided yet which to go forward with, although the eneloops are running strong.
I have several sets of Eneloops I bought for the k-x back in 2010 and they still work fine. All other rechargeables I bought at the time to test have died and no longer hold a charge. While the initial cost is higher, over time the Eneloops have more than made financial sense. I no longer have the k-x but the Eneloops are still being used in my flash guns.
02-17-2016, 03:29 PM   #8
Site Supporter

+1 on the Eneloops when I was actively using my K-x.

I'd keep a spare set in a pocket close to my body for cold weather and swap as needed. Putting the first chilled set back in said warm pocket would probably allow them to recover and permit a second round of use if that became necesary.

Not that I gave any relevant experience of proper cold weather living in Australia! But the above is where my thinking would head.

02-17-2016, 03:58 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

I've kept a K200D as much for the Eneloop/AA battery option as for the CCD sensor, seemingly bullet-proof build and its compact size. It's neither have ever failed me.
02-19-2016, 03:35 PM   #10

Okay, basically I have trouble using NiMH at temperatures like we have now, i.e. -10 - 0C. The voltage/capacity often drops too fast. Regular eneloop batteries should be better in the cold than the pro/XX version from what I've read. NiZn and LiFePO4 should even handle temperatures down to -20C. Using two LiFePO4 (not lipo, that means lithium-polymere which has voltage characteristics similar to lithium-ion) cells, you don't need protection circuits, since the max. discharge voltage is around 2V, where the camera automatically shuts off. NiZn requires expensive (SkyRC MC3000) or non-versatile (Ansmann, Voltcraft) chargers. Failure rate of NiZn cells seems high, don't know if more current products have improved that. If this camera can really take 25V of input, then why don't use four 14500 cells instead of two, if there's even more energy in them?
Hi,

Did you ever try the 4x14500s? Unfortunately (or fortunately) I just just got a K-x (white one if that matters) and put in some Eneloops that I took out of a package that I had for awhile unopened, and it wouldn't auto-focus my DA 35mm lens (it would auto-focus an FA 100mm).

I'm charging the Eneloops now, but I guess I now have the ability to try Li-Ions (I have lots of them.... flashlights is another hobby).

If you did try 4x14500s, how did it go? What kind of shotcount did you get with 2x14500 and with 4x14500? Any ill-effects?

Thanks,
Jim
02-26-2016, 03:13 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ohaya Quote
Hi,

Did you ever try the 4x14500s? Unfortunately (or fortunately) I just just got a K-x (white one if that matters) and put in some Eneloops that I took out of a package that I had for awhile unopened, and it wouldn't auto-focus my DA 35mm lens (it would auto-focus an FA 100mm).

I'm charging the Eneloops now, but I guess I now have the ability to try Li-Ions (I have lots of them.... flashlights is another hobby).

If you did try 4x14500s, how did it go? What kind of shotcount did you get with 2x14500 and with 4x14500? Any ill-effects?

Thanks,
Jim
So far, I haven't. I'm awaiting a new charger for my lithium cells since I dropped the previously used one. All my 14500s are around rated voltage now, so I don't want to deep discharge them. I've also ordered some protected 14500s to use four of them safely.

By the way, eneloops can hold their charge for quite a while, but there is a production date stamped on the package. If they're more than one year "old", then it's a good idea to recharge them I think.

Last edited by Amigo; 02-26-2016 at 03:20 PM.