Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2016, 02:12 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I intentionally tossed my KS-2 in mud on a rainy day

I wanted to see just how tough the weather sealing is on my K-S2. During a rainy day, I thought I would test it out. The rain was no big deal for this camera, so I decided to toss it in the mud and dirty it up a bit. I washed it off after and the camera survived without any problems. This was done a few months ago and the camera has never missed a beat. I do not recommend this as it's not covered by any warranty, but nice to know how well the camera is built.

Here is a video I made of me doing it:

Last edited by Albert Siegel; 02-18-2016 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Corrected name of camera
02-18-2016, 02:27 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, baby!
02-18-2016, 02:41 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Well if nothing else, you've killed your re-sale value.
02-18-2016, 03:49 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Good thing your unit had no sealing defects...

02-18-2016, 05:14 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jawsy Quote
Well if nothing else, you've killed your re-sale value.
LOL! Maybe I have, but I plan to keep it long enough to the point that it becomes worthless. It's a great little camera.
02-18-2016, 06:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Man, that's crazy. This video hurts.

Ricoh must buy your video and use it for advertising.

You're a really brave guy, or you have a stock of cameras in your closet. Anyway, you did a good job with this.
02-18-2016, 06:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Guys, don´t be so friggin paranoid about the cameras. They are built to take a fair amount of abuse during their lifetime, they aren´t newborn babies.

02-18-2016, 07:06 AM   #8

LOL @ that drop hahaha xD

I hope Pentax is aware of its crazy customer base, they just simply cannot afford to lower the quality

(remind me not to buy from this guy when he says *MINT* condition ;p)
02-18-2016, 08:30 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Hahaha! This is one of the reasons that I hesitate to buy used stuff.

But it's good to know that this camera can take the abuse. I'm guessing the K-50 can take the same beating.
02-18-2016, 08:31 AM   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tgchan Quote
(remind me not to buy from this guy when he says *MINT* condition ;p)
Extra mud, no cost.

I treat my equipment with kid gloves, because I can't afford to replace them; if an accident happens, I'll have to deal with it, but I'd never purposely mistreat any equipment.

I'm wondering down the road, if some after effects may show up?
02-18-2016, 08:39 AM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Albert Siegel Quote
I wanted to see just how tough the weather sealing is on my K-S2. During a rainy day, I thought I would test it out. The rain was no big deal for this camera, so I decided to toss it in the mud and dirty it up a bit. I washed it off after and the camera survived without any problems. This was done a few months ago and the camera has never missed a beat. I do not recommend this as it's not covered by any warranty, but nice to know how well the camera is built.

Here is a video I made of me doing it:

https://youtu.be/bIfFR1AvlKY

Ha ha. Great video! I wouldn't do this myself, but it's helpful to have this kind of abuse demonstrated. Gives me confidence that water ingress isn't likely to be a problem for me, given the way I treat my cameras and lenses. If anything, I'm even more amazed by the impact resistance of the sensor and mirror mechanisms. That's not an inconsiderable drop into the mud, and probably representative of the kind of accident any of us might have one day. Any camera that can take this kind of punishment is impressive indeed.
02-18-2016, 08:40 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Reminds me of The Camera Store's review of the K-S2 -
. And the thing had an HD DA 20-40mm on it too - expensive lens! I was cringing throughout.

EDIT: the auto-embed feature of PF is breaking the time code on my link. Skip to the 9m14s mark.

Last edited by Doundounba; 02-18-2016 at 08:47 AM.
02-18-2016, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Between this thread and your knife on lens thread, I am cringing everytime I see your name pop up on the new threads list.
02-18-2016, 08:45 AM   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Reminds me of The Camera Store's review of the K-S2 - they really didn't hold back. And the thing had an HD DA 20-40mm on it too - expensive lens! I was cringing throughout.

EDIT: the auto-embed feature of PF is breaking the time code on my link. Skip to to the 9m14s mark.
He he. And I wipe my K3 down after shooting if there's been light rain... what am I worrying about?!?
02-18-2016, 07:08 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well I don't normally abuse my gear like this. This really was more of a I had too much time on my hands and had a crazy idea moment. I try my best to baby my gear, but as this was not my main camera, I thought it would be good to see if it could survive what I suspect is an accident that can easily happen to anyone. Maybe the extra mud on top was not needed, but I figured why not. It did take me quit a bit of time to clean out the mud after. There are just too many grooves and screws where the mud gets into. Not that easy to clean. Maybe I should have properly cleaned it before the mud dried rather than just rinse it off.