Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-20-2016, 10:09 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
A Sigma rep told me that making lenses for Pentax is unattractive to them because they have to redesign out the in-lens stabilization (at the request of Pentax users), and consequently they have to use different parts than they otherwise would, in addition to the change of mount. So, it's more hassle than it's worth for the market-share given all extra work and cost that it takes.
That's garbage. They make some lenses for Sony, who also has ISIS.

02-20-2016, 11:08 PM   #32
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
Yes, I suspect the actual reason is they see K mount as insignificant to their bottom line. For the past 5 years, we've probably been more of an afterthought due to the hordes of Canon, Nikon, and (now) Sony customers of have essentially lined up, in front of their offices, shouting 'take my money!'

That is where the K-1 steps in.. if you shoot with Pentax but even don't want this particular camera, it is a plus for the cause of attracting more 3rd party lens and accessory manufacturers to produce for Pentax and thus a reason to 'root' for it to succeed; If Ricoh can build a fairly solid FF market, that might appeal to a Sigma type company to start (re)producing their full lens line in K mount
02-21-2016, 12:27 AM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
. For the past 5 years, we've probably been more of an afterthought due to the hordes of Canon, Nikon, and (now) Sony customers of have essentially lined up, in front of their offices, shouting 'take my money!'
Have I missed something?

Sigma don't offer any of their normal lenses in Sony E-mount.

There are three small mirrorless primes they also do for m43 - I own them - but that's all.

Last edited by clackers; 02-21-2016 at 01:53 AM.
02-22-2016, 10:31 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote

Sony is becoming a bigger player and while Sigma may bear the costs of removing OS (redesign, more expensive to produce due to lost economies of scale), it is becoming too big a player to ignore. So, they must see it was worth their while.

Maybe Pentax, which such a small marketshare just isn't worth all the effort for them if they have to do all these additional steps.

---------- Post added 02-22-16 at 12:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
No, no, no ... I meant, where are all these Pentax users who want it taken out?

I wish I knew. I told him to check with PentaxForums and see what people are saying, but he said they don't get their direction from forums. I'm not sure how they got that kind of feedback, but he claimed they did and that's what they were responding too. He did also mention the small market as a factor making all these other costs associated a hurdle that they were reluctant to undertake.

With the FF coming out, and the good reputation of the Sigma 24-105 f4 lens, it would be great if they would make one with a Pentax mount. It would be similar to a 16-70 on a crop sensor, making it a good walk around lens. We'll have to see whether they feel it is worth their while to head down that path. But, I assume a lot of Pentax FFs would have to sell before their marketing department would find such a proposition attractive.

Last edited by Spodeworld; 02-22-2016 at 10:43 AM.
02-22-2016, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
I'm not sure how they got that kind of feedback, but he claimed they did
Spodeworld, he's in sales, he lies for a living. 😆
02-22-2016, 02:46 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

he's in sales, he lies for a living. ��
Hey, hey. I never lie, but I am careful how much truth I hand out. It's like baiting a seagull, you put out enough bread to get him interested, but never leave the whole sandwich out in the open.
02-22-2016, 02:55 PM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Hey, hey. I never lie, but I am careful how much truth I hand out. It's like baiting a seagull, you put out enough bread to get him interested, but never leave the whole sandwich out in the open.
If only they all lived by your code! 😀

I have sat through many presentations, including as a tender committee member for a government contract, and have seen sales approaches ranging from data-driven to complete fiction.

Last edited by clackers; 02-22-2016 at 04:15 PM.
02-23-2016, 08:01 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Have I missed something?

Sigma don't offer any of their normal lenses in Sony E-mount.

They do now. Sigma's new MC-11 turns all of their latest (Art, Sports, Contempo) Canon EF lenses into Sony E-mount with AF, aperture control, exif reporting, and OS (and IBIS).
Probably the path of least resistance, but you need Canon lenses!
02-23-2016, 08:37 PM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
They do now

Um, no they don't, it's an adapter, not a lens, Panoguy.

There is of course, a difference!

Last edited by clackers; 02-23-2016 at 09:00 PM.
02-23-2016, 08:58 PM   #40
mee
Veteran Member

Yes, I suspect the actual reason is they see K mount as insignificant to their bottom line. For the past 5 years, we've probably been more of an afterthought due to the hordes of Canon, Nikon, and (now) Sony customers of have essentially lined up, in front of their offices, shouting 'take my money!'

That is where the K-1 steps in.. if you shoot with Pentax but even don't want this particular camera, it is a plus for the cause of attracting more 3rd party lens and accessory manufacturers to produce for Pentax and thus a reason to 'root' for it to succeed; If Ricoh can build a fairly solid FF market, that might appeal to a Sigma type company to start (re)producing their full lens line in K mount
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
I sent Sigma a complaint regarding lack of Pentax suppoort.

Response received. Note use of the term "miniscule share"

As a former Pro Photographer for Pentax USA I feel your pain but unfortunately Pentax has such a miniscule share of the market at this point it is not economically feasible to manufacture some of the more esoteric lenses for the mount. Perhaps in time Pentax can regain a more sizeable market share thus making it possible for us to dedicate the factory space required for producing lenses for the mount. Unfortunately there are no plans at the present time that I am aware of to manufacture any specific lenses in the Pentax P/KAF lens mount.
Sincerely,
Paul Pizzano
SIGMA Corporation of America l 15 Fleetwood Ct, Ronkonkoma, NY 11779
guess that was it alright..
02-24-2016, 08:19 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Um, no they don't, it's an adapter, not a lens, Panoguy.

There is of course, a difference!
Oh yes, you're right. You can't take pictures through an adapter!

When will Sigma ever make something for Sony E-mount that allows pictures to be taken??? When!!??

02-24-2016, 11:09 AM   #42
Pentaxian

I think using the M 50 f/2 lens showed either ignorance or laziness on the reviewer's part. Either they didn't know that was a generally poorly rated lens or they did and didn't care. [..]
Or they did, and did care. Anything to make Pentax look bad. ;-)
02-24-2016, 12:29 PM   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I use one all the time on my A7, Panoguy, but it *doesn't* count as a lens.
02-24-2016, 12:49 PM   #44
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

When will Sigma ever make something for Sony E-mount that allows pictures to be taken??? When!!??

Sigma announces 30mm F1.4 for E-mount and Micro 4/3 and 50-100mm F1.8 Art for APS-C: Digital Photography Review

i think that it's all crop stuff tho.
02-24-2016, 03:34 PM   #45
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

If you actually read the article, the 50-100 isn't for Sony.