Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2016, 12:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lenses... DPReview, Nikon Wildlife, K1 etc.

So this is a little convoluted, but I wanted to share some things I've noticed as I've been reading around.

1. DPReview's preview of the K1 has it mounted with a M50 f2. I have a poor copy of this lensthat I got for $10 and use to explain aperture to people. I don't think it is or ever was particularly stellar. There certainly are many better options... What a strange choice.

Special K? Pentax K-1 First Impressions Review: Digital Photography Review

2. Same page near the bottom. The only lenses not requiring stopping down to work well on the K1 in FF mode I believe are the DA* 200, 300, and DA 560. This is good news for wildlife shooters. I've read a lot of concern about them. I was most surprised about the 560. I only wish I had one.

3. While exploring my options and trying to imagine my kit over the next several years, I was researching Nikon wildlife options. I'm having a hard time finding the article again. Essentially it listed every Nikon telephoto option known to man. Then at the bottom it listed Tamron and Sigma options. Beside these it mounts these lenses were available in. This essentially means Nikon, Canon. The thing that caught my eye was that beside the 150-600 zooms from Tamron and Sigma, it listed Nikon, Canon (Pentax and Sony for an additional fee). Has anyone heard of this? If it's true it may be a decent alternative for us Pentaxians. If I can find the article I'll add the link. I'm not even finding it in my browser history. Very strange.

---------- Post added 02-18-16 at 02:28 PM ----------

Yes here we go I found it. Possibly just a error on the writer's part.
How to choose a wildlife lens | Don's Photo Blog

here's what was written

Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Sport (Canon | Nikon | Pentax & Sony mounts can be added at an additional cost)
Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary (Canon | Nikon | Pentax & Sony mounts can be added at an additional cost))

Oh and my mistake.. it wasn't mentioned about the Tamron.

02-18-2016, 12:31 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can not get the 150-600 in either k-mount or a-mount. To get Sigma to swap the mount they have to make the lens in that mount.
02-18-2016, 12:32 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1. Yeah, that's about the same as testing a 645Z with the first DA 18-55. Apparently it was the only legacy K-mount lens they had at the office (probably to explain aperture to people). Had I known, I'd have sent my SMC-A 50/1.7!

2. I'm not surprised that the longer lenses work on FF, since two are reboots of older FA designs, and the 560 was designed when they knew the FF was coming. I've tried a DA55-300 on the Sony A7II and it works pretty well at 300 (but not at all at 55).

3. Yes, hopefully Sigma wakes up and starts making the FF lenses for K-mount as well. Tamron I doubt will compete with Ricoh, since there appears to be collaboration with the recently announced FF lenses (similar to Tokina years ago).

3.A. My guess is this "additional fee" stems from confusion about Sigma's lens mount replacement service for Global Vision (latest) lenses. Sigma will change the mount on a GV lens for $300 if they already make that mount for that lens. IOW, they can't change a new 120-300/2.8 to be Pentax (yet) because they don't make the rear assembly for that lens with a K-mount on it. No additional fee will convince them to retool their line for a single (or few) customer. Not quite Adaptall...
02-18-2016, 12:48 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
3. Yes, hopefully Sigma wakes up and starts making the FF lenses for K-mount as well. Tamron I doubt will compete with Ricoh, since there appears to be collaboration with the recently announced FF lenses (similar to Tokina years ago).

3.A. My guess is this "additional fee" stems from confusion about Sigma's lens mount replacement service for Global Vision (latest) lenses. Sigma will change the mount on a GV lens for $300 if they already make that mount for that lens. IOW, they can't change a new 120-300/2.8 to be Pentax (yet) because they don't make the rear assembly for that lens with a K-mount on it. No additional fee will convince them to retool their line for a single (or few) customer. Not quite Adaptall...
Poor Sigma. Still stuck with the same APS-C Foveon sensor from 2012. You can buy every lens they sell in SA mount, but I'm willing to bet you can count the number of certain lenses they've sold in that mount on one hand.

02-18-2016, 01:21 PM   #5
Pentaxian

How many K1 have to be sold before Sigma reconsider? Unfortunately, the threshold may be quite high, judging by the Sony experience.
02-18-2016, 01:48 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
How many K1 have to be sold before Sigma reconsider? Unfortunately, the threshold may be quite high, judging by the Sony experience.
I seriously doubt they ever would.
02-18-2016, 01:55 PM   #7
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wissink Quote
The only lenses not requiring stopping down to work well on the K1 in FF mode I believe are the DA* 200, 300, and DA 560.
I found that a bit strange as some of the test images they have posted were with the DA70 in FF mode, at least one of them at 2.4. No vignetting that I could see...

02-18-2016, 02:27 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I found that a bit strange as some of the test images they have posted were with the DA70 in FF mode, at least one of them at 2.4. No vignetting that I could see...
It's not just vignetting. It's also sharpness, CA, and other aberrations in the corners. It's not obvious from the DPR shots with the DA 70 whether it fares well on these counts. I am looking forward to seeing the "official" lens tests in the K1-laboratory. Looks promising though.

But this raises a question. The way I read the K1 specs, the camera detects an APS-C lens and defaults to crop mode, but you can over-ride this. Will we have to do this every time we put a lens such as the DA70 on the K1, or will it be able to remember your choice for that lens?
02-18-2016, 03:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm really hoping for my 35 ltd.
02-18-2016, 04:03 PM   #10
mee
Veteran Member

I think using the M 50 f/2 lens showed either ignorance or laziness on the reviewer's part. Either they didn't know that was a generally poorly rated lens or they did and didn't care. Or they didn't and didn't care. Either way, it was indeed a very poor choice of lens. Maybe they went to the local goodwill, found the cheapest Pentax film body and saw it had a lens on it.. voila, we have an excellent test case for all legacy lenses on the new FF. hahahaha
02-18-2016, 05:46 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A Sigma rep told me that making lenses for Pentax is unattractive to them because they have to redesign out the in-lens stabilization (at the request of Pentax users), and consequently they have to use different parts than they otherwise would, in addition to the change of mount. So, it's more hassle than it's worth for the market-share given all extra work and cost that it takes.

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
You can not get the 150-600 in either k-mount or a-mount. To get Sigma to swap the mount they have to make the lens in that mount.
02-18-2016, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
A Sigma rep told me that making lenses for Pentax is unattractive to them because they have to redesign out the in-lens stabilization (at the request of Pentax users), and consequently they also have to use different parts, in addition to the change of mount. So, it's more hassle than it's worth for the market-share given all extra work and cost that it takes.
Who would want to get rid of the OS? Maybe for short lenses, but for the long lenses in-lens OS is much better than in-body SR. You get a stabilized viewfinder...They must be talking to the wrong users.
02-18-2016, 06:02 PM   #13
Pentaxian

A Sigma rep told me that making lenses for Pentax is unattractive to them because they have to redesign out the in-lens stabilization (at the request of Pentax users), and consequently they have to use different parts than they otherwise would, in addition to the change of mount. So, it's more hassle than it's worth for the market-share given all extra work and cost that it takes.
Leave it in! It doesn't alter the weight much, or the price, so why bother?
02-18-2016, 06:03 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, I would think people would be willing to swallow the extra cost of a lens that had OS built in that they may or may not use just to have the the lens produced with the K mount.
02-19-2016, 11:40 AM   #15
osv
Veteran Member

afaik, sigma ef-mount lenses can use their ois systems when mounted to the a7 series cameras, using with an adapter that has electronic connections? i know that people do it with tamron glass.

you have to turn off ibis in the a7 bodies that have it, or turn off ois in the lens, if you want to use ibis... can't use dissimilar stabilization systems at the same time, unless it's a factory-designed system, like the a7rii and native fe-mount lenses.

sigma lenses on pentax cameras already have power going to the lens, so turning off k-1 ibis and using the lens ois seems doable to me, based on the above.