• 3 new AA battery sets
  • Spare SD card
  • Dust blower/brush

Any suggestions?

02-18-2016, 07:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Winter clothing would be my first advice: boots, mitts, tuque. And depending on how far into the wilderness you are, a GPS beacon.
02-18-2016, 07:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Winter clothing would be my first advice: boots, mitts, tuque. And depending on how far into the wilderness you are, a GPS beacon.
That's all a given, I meant with photo equipment
02-18-2016, 08:00 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I have 3 camera batteries. One fully charged one will go for a good while, but at least one extra may come in really handy for you. The only kind I buy now are Pentax. I tried another brand with my first dslr for backups, but they do not retain power.

I want to mention also, a wired instead of IR remote that derives its power from the camera (no battery in the remote) may be an option if you find that you are not able to keep your batteries warm enough, if you can, than alright. Just in case, if you can use a wired switch, I want to mention the Vello RS-C1II Wired Remote Switch that I use with my K-3II and K-5IIS.

Maybe an L plate for your camera/tripod in case you plan on switching between horizontal and vertical easily.

Last edited by C_Jones; 02-18-2016 at 08:24 PM.
02-18-2016, 08:38 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stick a bunch of medium to large ziplock sandwich bags in your pack. They help when you need to a) keep things dry, or b) keep condensation off a cold piece of equipment.
02-18-2016, 08:54 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Stick a bunch of medium to large ziplock sandwich bags in your pack.
What they said. Bag the camera and any of your lenses before taking them indoors. The battery optimization measures mentioned by C Jones are all very valid as are simple things like leaving the rear screen off.

Also...beware fogging your viewfinder or lenses with your breath.

Steve
02-19-2016, 09:19 AM   #7
Pentaxian

You may have already included this, but I want to mention "viewfinder cap".

I know this is not actually specified as camera equipment, but I also want to mention "Heat Holders" fingerless gloves. They are sewn well and do not lose their fabric on or in your camera as easily as other (for example ragwool) gloves. They give good warmth, and you can use your fingertips (as they are exposed).

Last edited by C_Jones; 02-19-2016 at 09:39 AM.