Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2016, 01:51 PM   #31

biz-engineer may be referring to this post of normhead's, but normhead never said he would not buy a 24×36 Pentax in his post. Note also normhead did not start the thread.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/311936-who-needs-full-fram...ml#post3495385

02-19-2016, 02:01 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
We need to start a 'Why I wouldn't buy a K-1' thread.
The two most popular answers would undoubtedly be
1) I have a K-3, K-5, etc
2) I don't need full frame / 36 MP

Just like the arguments against the K-3 were
1) I already have a K-5, K-7, etc.
2) I don't need 24 MP

Aside from already satisfied customers I think this knocks it out of the park for anyone who actually wants / needs a full frame, especially at the price.
Imagine in a year or two when you can get it even cheaper!
02-19-2016, 02:02 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
biz-engineer may be referring to this post of normhead's, but normhead never said he would not buy a 24×36 Pentax in his post. Note also normhead did not start the thread.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/311936-who-needs-full-fram...ml#post3495385
II've even said in a few spots, that some of my favourite images were taken on 35mm film... but you can find 500 places I've said folks probably don't need a full frame, even the ones that think they do. And I don't either, nothing has changed. Just now for a few extra bucks, I can have one, next time I upgrade, if my K-3 holds up. And at that size, there's already room for it in my camera bag, where the K-5 goes now.
02-19-2016, 02:05 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote

I was one of those in that thread that also said not me. But the price of the K-1 is what I was expecting to pay to replace my K-5 for the K-3 II successor. I have rationalized the extra weight through telling myself I'm getting older so I won't be able to hike/backpack as far to make a difference....not sure about that....but given the price/performance, I can keep the 50-135/300 and use it in the aps-C mode. Current debate is whether to keep my beloved 20-40 or sell. And buy the 24-70.

02-19-2016, 02:25 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TheOneAndOnlyJH Quote
The two most popular answers would undoubtedly be
1) I have a K-3, K-5, etc
2) I don't need full frame / 36 MP

Just like the arguments against the K-3 were
1) I already have a K-5, K-7, etc.
2) I don't need 24 MP

Aside from already satisfied customers I think this knocks it out of the park for anyone who actually wants / needs a full frame, especially at the price.
Imagine in a year or two when you can get it even cheaper!

The K-1 is a knock-out in my opinion. Only problem is, it's on backorder until April.
02-19-2016, 02:26 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I'm not sure if you're on Facebook @normhead; but this might be your chance if you are good at writing and you're certainly good at taking photos:
https://www.facebook.com/RicohImaging/photos/a.173724382692.132787.101083642...3203631237693/
02-19-2016, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think that for most folks, APS-C is quite enough. It is a compromise, but one that allows for shallow depth field and good resolution and reasonable sized cameras. As the price of full frame comes down, though, it become more and more enticing. I was a relatively early adopter on the K3 and I think I paid 1200 for it. The early adopters of the K5 paid even more, as I recall.

The fact that you can get a D810-lite for 1800 is pretty amazing, as far as I am concerned. It still doesn't mean that every one needs one or even that my photography will get a bunch better with one, but considering that I already have nearly all of the full frame lenses that I need, it is a relatively cheap foray in that direction.

02-19-2016, 05:39 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had thought and said I probably wouldn't get a K-1 as I do so love my K-3 and didn't think the K-1 would be within my price range....but with the amazing pricing are they putting it out at, it IS!

I miss the low light performance of my K-5 (which I passed on to my son) and would LOVE to see my three amigos go on their natural format....and I'll pick up a 100mm macro to complete my K-1 kit in the short term

So....I will get a K-1.

Go Pentax (Ricoh)!!!!!
02-20-2016, 03:53 AM   #39
Veteran Member

I like the features and control design of the K-1, it seems to be oriented towards still photographers and I like that. It also seems to offer compatibility with the aperture ring on a level that previous Pentax DSLR's didn't offer and I like that too. As for 24x36 advantages over APS-C, I do feel that APS-C is enough for me in terms of image quality and high ISO... (hey my K-S2 and K-x are way better than 24x36 film on ISO 1 600 .... ). A K-3 III with features from the K-1 would, I believe, be warmly welcomed by many and I believe it will happen... but then there are those that wants 24x35 and for those the K-1 is a good deal.
02-20-2016, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I'm surprised you want the K-1, Norm. Years ago when things like the D600 came out you were so vocal that the full 35mm frame coverage was not needed for your photography.
I second that. Norm was one of the loudest voices contemptous of the entire Full Frame bandwagon. What happened? Change of heart?
02-20-2016, 02:41 PM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by danny09 Quote
I second that. Norm was one of the loudest voices contemptous of the entire Full Frame bandwagon. What happened? Change of heart?
What makes you think I'm not still contemptuous of the FF band wagon? I've heard carpenters discuss what hammer they like. But, I have to say, when I have framing to do, I pick up a framing hammer. But I don't let framers tell me to use one for attaching mouldings to fine furniture.

Dispelled my points are unchanged.

95% of what you can do with an FF you can do with APS-c
95% of what you can do with APS_c you can do with FF.

There's huge overlap... where they do the same thing. My use favours the advantages APS-c brings to the table.

Does that mean i can't own a Point and Shoot like my W90, because I understand what it brings to the table.
Does that mean I can't own a 645z should I go that way?

Now if I can just throw an FF in my bag to be my second body... that to me is it's place in the universe. But I would never sell my APS-c to do that. It will always be a back up body for use where APS-c is at a disadvantage.

The only thing that has changed is I'm contemplating carrying 3 formats instead of 2, one of which is an FF, as long as I have room in my bag for it.

And at the price it's offered, it doesn't even cost me anything. I buy one during my next upgrade cycle, continue to use my K-3, and take it off the shelf to put in my camera bag when it's convenient, and I'd rather have it than a lens in that spot in the camera bag. Don't be thinking I think any format deserves a bandwagon, any more than some type of hammer deserves a bandwagon. And the nonsense the bandwagon jumpers were throwing around was too stupid for words.

Shooting FF improves your resolution and therefore IQ. - The truth? Shooting more MP improves your resolution and IQ, it has not much to do with format.
Your best lens on APS-c isn't as good as your worst lens on FF. - Absolute nonsense. Your best lens on a 6D isn't as good as your worst lens on a K-3.
Every image you take with an FF is better than if you took the same page with APS-c- the truth? You can't even take the same image with a long lens on FF you can take with APS-c forget about a better image.
FF uses more total light than APS-c. the truth? Hogwash, the same image has the same DoF, by the time you stop down the FF to match APS-c DoF, you are using the same total light.

I was never anti FF... I was anti BS. Nothing changed.

My campaign has not been anti-FF, it's been anti BS.

You can see what's wrong with what people are saying about a format, but, that's different than saying you can't see any use for the format. I found on this forum, I was often forced into a position where I was the only one standing up to the BSers. I just have one of those personalities where I have trouble letting stuff like that go, just to promote some fake "harmony." I like real harmony, when we actually come to an understanding by working through these things.

Last edited by normhead; 02-21-2016 at 05:58 PM.
02-21-2016, 02:22 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My campaign has not been anti-FF, it's been anti BS.
From the threat of the non-pentax section of the forum "wildlife in front of the full frame" , image quality is more related to camera brand name than image format. For example, a D810 does not deliver better IQ and AF than a Pentax K-3, but a Pentax K-1 does deliver better IQ and AF than a Nikon D810. I'm fully with you, Pentax is the best. That's not BS. The K-1 is cheaper than the D810, THAT is a lot less BS. The best image quality is front the camera and lens you already own.
02-21-2016, 03:13 AM   #43
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You can see what's wrong with what people are saying about a format, but, that's different than saying you can't see any use for the format. I found on this forum, I was often forced into a position where I was the only one standing up to the BSers. I just have one of those personalities where I have trouble letting stuff like that go, just to promote some fake "harmony." I like real harmony, when we actually come to an understanding by working through these things.
It isn't easy the last year to say something different on this forum then thè main crowd likes to hear that embraces the harmony.
02-21-2016, 06:03 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
As the price of full frame comes down, though, it become more and more enticing.
The K-1 is priced attractively, not for free. Ricoh don't count much on gaining market share over Canikon, if they do , it's all good. But the genius of a compelling price of the K-1, is, considered the limited choices of third party lenses, once you buy the K-1, you can't buy lenses at Tamron or Sigma, you must buy lenses from Ricoh, especially the famous postponed DFA 70-200 priced $2000, the $500 discount on the K-1 will easily be recovered by +30% price premium on the DFA tamron rebadged lenses, since a number of Pentax lenses (DA lenses or FA lenses) aren't going to be great on the K-1, I can only conclude that Ricoh-imaging are doing good. Selling a lot of K-1, is the key to a bright future. Their marketing strategy is spot on, they are doing the right things.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-21-2016 at 06:13 AM.
02-21-2016, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
From the threat of the non-pentax section of the forum "wildlife in front of the full frame" , image quality is more related to camera brand name than image format. For example, a D810 does not deliver better IQ and AF than a Pentax K-3, but a Pentax K-1 does deliver better IQ and AF than a Nikon D810. I'm fully with you, Pentax is the best. That's not BS. The K-1 is cheaper than the D810, THAT is a lot less BS. The best image quality is front the camera and lens you already own.
You have to understand who those people are. They didn't come here to share in their experiences and discuss shooting and building skill levels. They came here to stick their gear in your face and say "mine is better than yours."