Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
02-21-2016, 06:31 AM - 1 Like   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
They came here to stick their gear in your face and say "mine is better than yours."
Yeah, that's true, I have to recognize. Former Pentaxians who came back on the forum to advertise competition, sort of nasty. Now that the K-1 specs are out, they can't come back to advertise their D750 , they have no chance; so they better hide to avoid loosing face LoL The K-1 release has actually shut the mouth of a number of people (and open the mouth of other people..:-) ).

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-21-2016 at 06:40 AM.
02-21-2016, 07:28 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have also always said and I will still say that I don't NEED a FF camera. Let me say also that while I don't need it, I want one. That's the same thing that fuels LBA. Do I need a hutch full of lenses? Nope, but I'm not getting rid of any and I still buy from time to time. The price of the K1 makes it far more likely that one day I'll have one. The price has always been the biggest barrier for most of us. While not cheap, the K1 is certainly within reach, even for a retired guy like me. If I was wealthy enough, I would already be shooting with a FF and a 645Z as well. Crap, I would probably have a camera for each day of the week!

As for the other specs, I would have preferred a sensor with fewer megapixels. It's going to be interesting just how good those shots from the K1 and 30 year old Taks are going to look on our 27 in. Hi Res monitors from 2 feet away. The rest of the camera looks very, very nice. Not cutting edge but very competitive and once again, a lot of camera for a price that's within reach.
02-21-2016, 08:14 AM   #48
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
This camera makes me feel, all is right with the universe.
Well chosen words, succinctly put, I'm with you on this, bring it on now.
02-21-2016, 10:46 AM   #49

I have a K-5 and have assumed for a number of years that I would get a Pentax FF if/when it appeared. I very likely will get a K-1 for the same reason as many others: it is basically what I have been waiting for. Now only waiting on any new developments from CP+ and reports on what people think of the viewfinder. Hoping for a viewfinder that will at least compare to the LX FA-1. Based on the numbers, it will not likely equal the FA-1, but it is hard to judge without looking through it.

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
It also seems to offer compatibility with the aperture ring on a level that previous Pentax DSLR's didn't offer and I like that too.
Please do share. I am not aware of anything new to the K-1 in this area, but I am more than happy to be proven wrong!

02-21-2016, 12:06 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JBox Quote

Please do share. I am not aware of anything new to the K-1 in this area, but I am more than happy to be proven wrong!

QuoteQuote:
From The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

The "Crippled" K-Mount
This is not a lens characteristic, but a camera "feature", or rather a lack thereof: all Pentax DSLR bodies lack the tab that would otherwise read the position of the aperture simulator (lever (ii) in the pictures of the mounts above). Certain low-end film SLR bodies lack this tab as well. As a result, original "K" mount lenses must be used in manual exposure mode with the stop-down metering method ("green button" metering) on these cameras.
If they added this simulator lever back for the K-1 it would certainly help with some legacy lenses people are sure to use!
(Conjecture only - I don't know anything!)
02-21-2016, 03:15 PM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by TheOneAndOnlyJH Quote
If they added this simulator lever back for the K-1 it would certainly help with some legacy lenses people are sure to use!
(Conjecture only - I don't know anything!)
They have not, unfortunately. See existing thread here (and many others). That is why I was wondering what RMabo was referring to.
02-21-2016, 06:04 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hey, but they put pixel shift on an FF. No one else has it. Look at it and weep oh nay sayers...

02-21-2016, 07:19 PM   #53
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
It isn't easy the last year to say something different on this forum then thè main crowd likes to hear that embraces the harmony.
Well, yes and no. All opinions, dissenting or not, are welcome. Trolling is not.
Most members know the difference.
02-21-2016, 07:24 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In a lot of ways I mirror what Norm says.

I'm fairly indifferent to format, having shot 4x5 film, 120 film, 35mm film and the apsc film/digital formats over the years, so I've convinced myself that I know what the strengths and weaknesses are of each of them. For me, the biggest difference between formats is how you THINK about the picture you are about to take. From my perspective that really is the difference between formats. And to be honest, there really isn't that much difference between apsc and 35mm.

Yes, I know, heresy!!!!!

Because of this I've sat back and watched a lot of people prattle on about how a full 35mm format in digital was so wonderful and bitten my tongue reading an awful lot of incorrect statements being made about technical details to justify one format over another. I've kept silent just because I'm a firm believer that everyone’s needs are the best reason for THEM to buy one type of camera over another and why my opinion has very little significance for that reason.

I’ve stayed with my K10D because, quite frankly, it emulates my experience with film and that’s what I’m the most comfortable with. I have been considering upgrading to a newer camera for the past year or so just because ther eare some pretty darned good ones out there, and was very interested to see what would be announced for Pentax’s 35mm format dslr. I was seriously expecting something a lot more expensive than the K-1 with pretty much the technical specifications that were announced, and that by itself was what was probably going to be the deciding factor for buying it or waiting a little longer. I definitely don’t have that reason anymore. I will wait to read what hands on experience is with how the camera functions and just how good it really is in the real world. I may just get a K-3II instead, depending on those real world reviews. Who knows until it's actually in the hands of people like us..

Since the crop mode of the K-1 is still a 50% increase in resolution when using my current lens lineup over my K10, and being quite happy with how they perform on 35mm film, I would get the best of both worlds at a very reasonable price. And THAT is why I’ve stayed with Pentax over the years.
02-21-2016, 07:30 PM   #55
Pentaxian

Hey, but they put pixel shift on an FF. No one else has it. Look at it and weep oh nay sayers...
Nice image. Pixel shift resolution is amazing.
02-22-2016, 02:17 AM - 1 Like   #56
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
norm, if you get a full frame, you'll have issues with the narrow depth of field.
It's not like he has never shot 35mm film.

Steve
02-22-2016, 02:28 AM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
.... it is so refreshing to see a company that ensures the older generation equipment will live on with the next great thing.....
exactly.
That was my feeling when I discovered that Pentax made digital SLRs
and my super tak from my Spotmatic would have new life on it.
02-22-2016, 04:38 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it is important to differentiate need and want. I want a K-1, but I don't really need it. I could more than get by with micro four thirds gear. But I do want a K-1 and because of the cost, I won't have to wait very long to get one. And because so many of Pentax's lenses are full frame compatible (albeit some with some vignetting), if you have a pretty full lens line up, you may not have to spend a bunch to fill in the gaps.

I still will shoot APS-C for situations where I need a faster frame rate or deeper buffer or am planning to shoot telephoto. There is certainly a place for both in my bag.