Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2016, 11:09 AM - 10 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-1 almost exactly what I wanted.

I've heard so many say they don't like this or that about the K-1, I just thought I'd put something positive out there.

The price is such that at some point, I'll be able to afford it. This is huge, because if I can't afford it I can't buy it, and it's not even worth thinking about. Kind of like a 645z.

GPS - I was thinking of upgrading to a K-3II, just for the GPS function. I travel around in the bush, and I often forget where pictures are taken.

36 MP - my K-3 is a 24 MP camera. There's not enough advantage to 24 MP FF to make it worth the upgrade. Less than a 10% resolution increase.

All the neat bells and whistles every Pentax has, and no one else has in an FF DSLR, like in body shake reduction and some that are just expensive or not as good in other systems, like WR and metal body construction.

Better SR, for all my lenses, even my Super Tak.

The thing I like most, is for sitting here with my K-3, it's part of a logical upgrade path. The K-3 is a great camera for what I do, and this gives me an opportunity to pick up a second body that should be great at the things a K-3 doesn't do well, low light and high ISO, but still uses the same lenses.

And last but not least... no need to buy new lenses. I can take my time, use what I have (especially since I picked up a cheap in every sense FA-J 18-35) and upgrade as need dictates.

It may take me a few years to get it, but, right now it's head of the line, next time I wish to upgrade. And since I've got 46,000 exposures taken with my K-3 , that could be sooner than I'd like.

This camera makes me feel, all is right with the universe.

02-19-2016, 11:19 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well said, as usual. I agree and think they cleared the far fence easily with this one. They fit this perfectly in between the K-3 and the Z.

#pentaxisdope
02-19-2016, 11:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

@Norm, I am with you on this one, so many goodies and more importantly the price (before it was released, I thought it would be really nice to have D810 features for the D750 price). Although I don't need it now, I may pick one up if our exchange rate gets better. I expect the demand will be great initially.
02-19-2016, 11:20 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well said. I felt that way about my K5 too, and still do. It's a ways off in the procurement cycle but, I'm very happy with what I see of the K1

02-19-2016, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You are absolutely right Norm. I was actually going to skip the K-1 and buy once-a-lifetime lenses instead.

Whoops. There's a plan that changed suddenly.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-19-2016 at 11:37 AM.
02-19-2016, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I'm surprised you want the K-1, Norm. Years ago when things like the D600 came out you were so vocal that the full 35mm frame coverage was not needed for your photography.
02-19-2016, 11:24 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think it and the K3 are a perfect compliment to each other. That is why I preordered it. Sure, I don't need it. I'm not a pro. I don't have my stuff in galleries. I don't have a place to sell prints, and heck, I am not sure if my stuff would even be worthy of that, but I enjoy taking pictures. This will be something that I can enjoy, and that will be great with my K3. I imagine both will last me quite some time.

02-19-2016, 11:25 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And last but not least... no need to buy new lenses.
Which is a great thing indeed. Just two days ago one guy (PRO photographer who uses Canon) told me that his new camera does not support M42 lenses anymore. I'm once again glad to be on the Pentax boat.

And since I've got 46,000 exposures taken with my K-3 , that could be sooner than I'd like.
So than you have time enough, as "Shutter life At least 200,000 actuations."
02-19-2016, 11:41 AM   #9
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, I can't see much I don't like with the K-1. They've managed to make a camera that feels like a logical upgrade from K-3.

The third e-dial is one thing I'd love to have.

My "problem" is that I'm happy with the K-3. But then, I was happy with my K-5, too - until a secondhand K-3 came by at too tempting a price. I wouldn't complain if the same happened with a K-1...
02-19-2016, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I'm surprised you want the K-1, Norm. Years ago when things like the D600 came out you were so vocal that the full 35mm frame coverage was not needed for your photography.
As I've often said, it's not. I don't expect this camera would be used for even 20% of my shooting, and won't be necessary for even 5% of what I do. If my K-3 were to break before I get a K-1, another K-3 will come first. APS-c I have to have, FF is nice to have. Nothing has changed. And I still wouldn't buy a D600. Carrying a whole second camera system for a bit of extra low light performance and losing the 1.5 crop factor on the lenses, magnification of macros and frame rate and SR? It's a piece of junk compared to a K-3. An absolute piece of doo doo compared to a K-1. I poo poo that camera.

Before I bought my K-3 I had a D600 with an 85 ƒ1.4 in my hands and messed around with it for a bit. Due diligence and all. Then I ordered my K-3.

Last edited by normhead; 02-19-2016 at 12:57 PM.
02-19-2016, 12:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
You are absolutely right Norm. I was actually going to skip the K-1 and buy once-a-lifetime lenses instead.

Whoops. There's a plan that changed suddenly.
Ditto. Norm must have read my mind.
02-19-2016, 12:23 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We need to start a 'Why I wouldn't buy a K-1' thread.
02-19-2016, 12:23 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The price is such that at some point, I'll be able to afford it.
I hate to say it, but price is a big factor to me as well. The K-1 as currently spec'ed is a stand-out value at its price point and is a welcome alternative to similarly priced offerings from Sony, Nikon, and Canon.

Steve
02-19-2016, 12:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

All good Norm except the low CAD...

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
We need to start a 'Why I wouldn't buy a K-1' thread.
Two have been started and locked...
02-19-2016, 12:24 PM   #15
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

+1 Norm, thank you for starting a positive thread regarding the K-1. I agree with what you are saying.

I am looking forward to the user reports and seeing images, and getting the reviews of excellent usability.

Pentax have delivered an exceptional camera for the price. For a stills landscape photographer there is very little not to like