Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
02-19-2016, 12:33 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I hate to say it, but price is a big factor to me as well. The K-1 as currently spec'ed is a stand-out value at its price point and is a welcome alternative to similarly priced offerings from Sony, Nikon, and Canon.
Steve
And perhaps now Sony/Canon/Nikon will have lower their prices in future releases now.

02-19-2016, 12:34 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-1 appears to be the camera that will win over those of us who thought we didn't want a FF camera.

Last edited by onlineflyer; 02-20-2016 at 05:44 AM.
02-19-2016, 12:51 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
And perhaps now Sony/Canon/Nikon will have lower their prices in future releases now.
I don't think those guys give a second's thought to Pentax when deciding their price points. It would be an upheaval if that changed now.
02-19-2016, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #19
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Third attempt going down in flames . . .

Ka-RASHHHH !!!!

02-19-2016, 01:01 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I don't think those guys give a second's thought to Pentax when deciding their price points. It would be an upheaval if that changed now.
I guess. I really don't know much about how the camera industry works in that regard. But today, for example, I see you can get grey market D810/D750 for $2000/$1300 and that says to me there is a big markup on prices?
02-19-2016, 01:04 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote

Ka-RASHHHH !!!!
Did realize it was done before. I was only trying to make a joke but, oh well.
02-19-2016, 01:05 PM   #22
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote

Ka-RASHHHH !!!!
You must be psychic.

02-19-2016, 01:07 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
We need to start a 'Why I wouldn't buy a K-1' thread.
Oh please. It wasn't funny the first time.
02-19-2016, 01:08 PM   #24
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Oh please. It wasn't funny the first time.
Or the second............
02-19-2016, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
K-1 almost exactly what I wanted. I've heard so many say they don't like this or that about the K-1, I just thought I'd put something positive out there. The price is such that at some point, I'll be able to afford it. This is huge, because if I can't afford it I can't buy it, and it's not even worth thinking about. Kind of like a 645z. GPS - I was thinking of upgrading to a K-3II, just for the GPS function. I travel around in the bush, and I often forget where pictures are taken. 36 MP - my K-3 is a 24 MP camera. There's not enough advantage to 24 MP FF to make it worth the upgrade. Less than a 10% resolution increase. All the neat bells and whistles every Pentax has, and no one else has in an FF DSLR, like in body shake reduction and some that are just expensive or not as good in other systems, like WR and metal body construction. Better SR, for all my lenses, even my Super Tak. The thing I like most, is for sitting here with my K-3, it's part of a logical upgrade path. The K-3 is a great camera for what I do, and this gives me an opportunity to pick up a second body that should be great at the things a K-3 doesn't do well, low light and high ISO, but still uses the same lenses. And last but not least... no need to buy new lenses. I can take my time, use what I have (especially since I picked up a cheap in every sense FA-J 18-35) and upgrade as need dictates. It may take me a few years to get it, but, right now it's head of the line, next time I wish to upgrade. And since I've got 46,000 exposures taken with my K-3 , that could be sooner than I'd like. This camera makes me feel, all is right with the universe.
Here we go! You are such a funny guy! For two years you never stopped posting that there was no point to get a 24x36 camera, because it was not better than K-3. So, in 2015, full frame cameras were having no advantage over APSC, but in 2016 everything changed.
02-19-2016, 01:21 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'd tell you to go back and read the rest of the thread as to how that goes, but you're just here to dump on me so why would I bother?

The two relevant points.

Natural upgrade path.
If my K-3 dies first, I'll get another K-3. The K-1 is only worth it to me as the second body in a two format system that uses all the same lenses. I currently have my K-5 as a backup. The K-1 sort of has a K-5 built in.. A K-1 is a piece of nice to have fluff, but not at all necessary.

Same as before, nothing has changed. For a single format system user, it's still APS-c all the way for me.

The thing that has changed is, I'm I can ad a second body to an existing system, with none of the costs of a whole second system, and without having to sell any of the gear I've spent a long time learning how to use.

And I always said "I'll never buy an FF, until the day I say I will." You've not been paying attention.
02-19-2016, 01:30 PM   #27
Pentaxian

norm, if you get a full frame, you'll have issues with the narrow depth of field.
02-19-2016, 01:37 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Pentaxian

I've heard so many say they don't like this or that about the K-1, I just thought I'd put something positive out there.

The price is such that at some point, I'll be able to afford it. This is huge, because if I can't afford it I can't buy it, and it's not even worth thinking about. Kind of like a 645z.

GPS - I was thinking of upgrading to a K-3II, just for the GPS function. I travel around in the bush, and I often forget where pictures are taken.

36 MP - my K-3 is a 24 MP camera. There's not enough advantage to 24 MP FF to make it worth the upgrade. Less than a 10% resolution increase.

All the neat bells and whistles every Pentax has, and no one else has in an FF DSLR, like in body shake reduction and some that are just expensive or not as good in other systems, like WR and metal body construction.

Better SR, for all my lenses, even my Super Tak.

The thing I like most, is for sitting here with my K-3, it's part of a logical upgrade path. The K-3 is a great camera for what I do, and this gives me an opportunity to pick up a second body that should be great at the things a K-3 doesn't do well, low light and high ISO, but still uses the same lenses.

And last but not least... no need to buy new lenses. I can take my time, use what I have (especially since I picked up a cheap in every sense FA-J 18-35) and upgrade as need dictates.

It may take me a few years to get it, but, right now it's head of the line, next time I wish to upgrade. And since I've got 46,000 exposures taken with my K-3 , that could be sooner than I'd like.

This camera makes me feel, all is right with the universe.
I will add my two cents, even the small details matter, for example the DLI-90 batteries from the K-5 to K-3 carry over onto the K-1. With Pentax-Ricoh nothing goes to waste if you upgrade to the next new thing. In this era of electronics where everything seems to go into the obsolete trash bin after a few years it is so refreshing to see a company that ensures the older generation equipment will live on with the next great thing. I hope more people take notice of this. I do not think there is any other camera company in the business that can top this.
02-19-2016, 01:40 PM   #29
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Here we go! You are such a funny guy! For two years you never stopped posting that there was no point to get a 24x36 camera,
I don't suppose you could provide a link to a post where he said there was no point in a 24x36, (as opposed to saying he didn't need one), could you?
I follow Norm's posts fairly regularly. I'm getting old so memory fades a bit, but I don't ever recall him saying that.
02-19-2016, 01:43 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I'll never buy an FF
I thought you said you'd refer to it as 35mil...