Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2016, 08:21 PM   #16
Site Supporter
honey bo bo's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: NORTHWESTERN ONTARIO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 362
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Someone suggested variable focus eyeglasses but I am afraid that I will spend $$$ (again!) and end up with the same problems
My wife finally talked me into Progressive Multi focal no line glasses a couple of years ago. I now swear by them; they do take some getting use to especially walking with them on. But I soon got over it. They are great for Live View - View Finder and working on the Computer. The kicker is that the experiment didn't cost a hole bunch because We deal with a well known Web Glass seller. Its called Zenni Opitical Web site is in California but the glasses come from China, They Sell So many in Canada that they now come from a Warehouse in Toronto. The pair I bought in 2014 cost me $77.80 USD incl shipping. They take about 2 weeks from beginning to end. They fit perfectly the prescriptions are bang on and these particular glasses are Frameless and are the lightest glasses I've ever had 18gms. We've been using them for about 6 years ourselves after learning from a friend that had been using them for 11 years. We dont have a plan and its a lot better than paying $600.00 or more at the local Sears Optical. They have 1000's of frames and you can put your picture on the site and try them all on if you wanted. They are very good at instant information on each field you are in.


Should read 11 gms not 18 also price includes clip-on sun glasses


Last edited by honey bo bo; 02-26-2016 at 08:33 PM. Reason: correction
02-29-2016, 05:29 PM   #17
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,151
QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
My wife finally talked me into Progressive Multi focal no line glasses a couple of years ago. I now swear by them; they do take some getting use to especially walking with them on. But I soon got over it. They are great for Live View - View Finder and working on the Computer. The kicker is that the experiment didn't cost a hole bunch because We deal with a well known Web Glass seller. Its called Zenni Opitical Web site is in California but the glasses come from China, They Sell So many in Canada that they now come from a Warehouse in Toronto. The pair I bought in 2014 cost me $77.80 USD incl shipping. They take about 2 weeks from beginning to end. They fit perfectly the prescriptions are bang on and these particular glasses are Frameless and are the lightest glasses I've ever had 18gms. We've been using them for about 6 years ourselves after learning from a friend that had been using them for 11 years. We dont have a plan and its a lot better than paying $600.00 or more at the local Sears Optical. They have 1000's of frames and you can put your picture on the site and try them all on if you wanted. They are very good at instant information on each field you are in.


Should read 11 gms not 18 also price includes clip-on sun glasses
Interesting.
I'm not sure whether I want to order stuff like that online though.
How do you manage to have everything to fit properly, especially the frame?
I'll go and visit that site .... Zenni Optical ... this one ? Zenni Optical | Affordable Rx Eyeglasses Online
Thanks!
02-29-2016, 09:38 PM   #18
Site Supporter
honey bo bo's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: NORTHWESTERN ONTARIO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 362
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Interesting.
I'm not sure whether I want to order stuff like that online though.
How do you manage to have everything to fit properly, especially the frame?
I'll go and visit that site .... Zenni Optical ... this one ? Zenni Optical | Affordable Rx Eyeglasses Online
Thanks!


They give the Measurements on every part of the Frame you look at. We find that there is only a Couple of measurements that are critical to our needs that being the nose pads and the Area or size of the lens. I like a bigger lens for the progressive style. The side arms have a fair amount of latitude. You can compare measurement with your current frames if you want to be more precise. Oh and the Weight is important we get round Frameless and they only weigh 11 gms very comfortable. In their marketing description they get quite descriptive and tell me I will Look Like John Lennon or President Roosevelt with that particular style of frame. We have been very happy with both the fit and the prescription and even happier with the price. The only thing you have to add to the prescription is the P D (Pupil Distance ) which you measure yourself. Your Eye Doctor has it I'm sure but he wont give it to you because the want you to buy their glasses. We use a plastic ruler and I've used a caliper on occasion. Have a look. If you put your picture on the site you can try on the 5000 pairs

02-29-2016, 09:51 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 4,009
I've adjusted the diopter on my Pentax and Canon cameras, right from the start. I wear glasses.

03-04-2016, 11:21 AM   #20
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Windhoek, Namibia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 336
I am nearsighted and since the information in the viewfinder is set for plus minus infinity I have to use glasses, since the dioptre adjustment does not go far enough for me. I do lose some of the viewing area in the viewfinder and find the info ( shutter speed etc) actually quite difficult to see. I lift my glasses to my forehead and look at the top LCD on my K5 to get the right info or at the rear LCD for the picture

It sounds like quite a struggle, but I manage quite well, I think
09-14-2016, 04:43 AM   #21
New Member




Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 4
QuoteOriginally posted by robert Quote
I've noticed something I can't quite understand when I shoot without my glasses. First let me state that I am farsighted
and take my glasses off for reading and close distance so I would think looking through the lens I wouldn't need to correct
the diopter on the camera but I do. With my glasses on I don't have to correct the diopter. Maybe I'm not thinking right but
I would think this would be the opposite. Either way I can make the adjustment but is it better to shoot with glasses or without?
It is must to wear your glasses continuously no matter what sight problem you have. If you want you can go for some stylish glasses so that it looks cool when you wear it.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 09-14-2016 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Shopping website removed.
09-14-2016, 05:56 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
TER-OR's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dundee, IL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,685
Finally this year I got a pair of glasses which darken in UV exposure - transitions? I'm astigmatic and a bit of age-related farsightedness so yeah, I need glasses for pretty much everything. These are nice, though, I can wear them in summer and they darken just enough to make it comfortable in the sun. Now I need a new set of driving glasses as my old prescription sunglasses are showing their age, as is their prescription. I used to use those, but since they're polarized they're pretty inconvenient with the camera.

I keep the diopter at neutral with my glasses.
09-24-2016, 08:46 AM   #23
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 744
QuoteOriginally posted by robert Quote
Either way I can make the adjustment but is it better to shoot with glasses or without?
Probably personal choice, and it may be that one does what works best. I shoot without glasses and have the diopter adjusted for me. Two drawbacks with that: 1. When I give my camera to others the viewfinder is blurry for them, and 2. When I then look at the back display, it is blurry unless I then put on glasses. I wear reading glasses for reading only, so would not have them on while touring, so mostly they are off. As for problem No. 2, if I need to review each shot soon and often, I can shoot with my glasses down on the end of my nose, so looking over the top rim when shooting, and then looking through my glasses to review shots. This is only a little hassle, and I supposed I could just go to live view all the time and wear glasses all the time, but mostly I just don't want to do that. I don't want to wear my glasses when I don't have to and I want to use the eye-level viewfinder. Hope this helps.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, check, diopter, dslr, glasses, lens, markings, matte, photography, screen
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question for K-30 & K-5II (s) users (those who own both or compared them) Bernie_Rain Pentax DSLR Discussion 7 01-18-2014 01:40 PM
Ophthalmologist tells me I need to wear glasses or give up photography! Noob Photographic Technique 39 05-07-2011 07:21 AM
Anyone here wear glasses? savcom Photographic Technique 31 04-13-2010 11:58 AM
Question for those who have K-7 and 16-50mm. Sleepy Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 03-02-2010 03:58 AM
O-ME53 1.2x eye piece: get it, if you don't wear glasses mattdm Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 44 03-16-2009 08:03 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:32 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top