Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-19-2016, 02:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Question for those who wear glasses.

I've noticed something I can't quite understand when I shoot without my glasses. First let me state that I am farsighted
and take my glasses off for reading and close distance so I would think looking through the lens I wouldn't need to correct
the diopter on the camera but I do. With my glasses on I don't have to correct the diopter. Maybe I'm not thinking right but
I would think this would be the opposite. Either way I can make the adjustment but is it better to shoot with glasses or without?

02-19-2016, 02:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I shoot with my glasses on, but I'm near sighted. If you are far-sighted but not tremendously so, then the only thing you would have trouble with is reading your camera up close (at which point, just hold it out further).
02-19-2016, 03:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I generally shoot with my glasses off, I'm near sighted but not severely so.

Maybe I'm wrong but I was taught to always adjust the diopter to your vision. So whether you have glasses or not should not make any difference. I guess you are assuming that corrected vision = zero on the diopter? Logical, but I'm not sure it works that way. I always adjust the diopter to suit me.
02-19-2016, 04:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robert Quote
First let me state that I am farsighted
and take my glasses off for reading and close distance
Are you near sighted (meaning you need glasses to drive), or far sighted (meaning you need glasses to read)? Or something else (e.g., astigmatism)?

With my glasses on I don't have to correct the diopter.
The default viewfinder optics (like on a film body) are such that your eye is focused on something a "comfortable" distance away - possibly at infinity, but I'm not certain about that. In any case, it's not the same thing as holding a piece of paper against your eye.

What camera body are you using? I think all the DSLR bodies have a continuously adjustable diopter, so you should adjust it to whatever mode of shooting you prefer.

02-19-2016, 04:29 PM   #5

In theory the image in the viewfinder would focus at "infinity" for the eye. In theory with corrected vision (wearing eyeglasses or contacts) the diopter adjustment would be zero. Without eyeglasses/contacts the diopter adjustment would be the same as for your eyeglasses/contacts. So if your diopter on your eyeglasses is -2.0 you would set (in theory) -2 on the eyepiece. There is no correction for astigmatism or cylinder so you may have to keep your eyeglasses/contacts on. Or if your diopter (like mine) is outside the range of the eyepiece.
02-19-2016, 04:38 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't see a darn thing at distance so of course I have to wear glasses.
No idea which camera (K5/K3) diopter setting I have them but I know that I have to take the glasses off if I need to "chimp".
Bothersome as heck!
I tried to shoot without glasses, once .... bad idea: I couldn't even see what I would have to aim at.
End of the story: I keep the glasses on.
02-19-2016, 04:39 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've noticed something I can't quite understand when I shoot without my glasses. First let me state that I am farsighted
and take my glasses off for reading and close distance so I would think looking through the lens I wouldn't need to correct
the diopter on the camera but I do. With my glasses on I don't have to correct the diopter. Maybe I'm not thinking right but
I would think this would be the opposite. Either way I can make the adjustment but is it better to shoot with glasses or without?
I have exactly the same issue. I started by shooting without glasses, but found , especially for wildlife that I can't see it south out my glasses, so I began wearing them to shoot also. Now I wear the glasses all the time when shooting, and set my diopter for my sight corrected with my glasses, which is far to the left of centre on the adjustment

02-19-2016, 05:13 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
In theory the image in the viewfinder would focus at "infinity" for the eye. In theory with corrected vision (wearing eyeglasses or contacts) the diopter adjustment would be zero. Without eyeglasses/contacts the diopter adjustment would be the same as for your eyeglasses/contacts. So if your diopter on your eyeglasses is -2.0 you would set (in theory) -2 on the eyepiece. There is no correction for astigmatism or cylinder so you may have to keep your eyeglasses/contacts on. Or if your diopter (like mine) is outside the range of the eyepiece.
You focus on the image and on the info in the viewfinder at the same time so I suspect the image is designed to be at your near-point, not at infinity.
02-19-2016, 05:20 PM   #9
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Short sighted, don't use glasses

I'm the opposite of the OP and need glases for distance. I now use a trifocal set of glasses for the different distances so technically I wear them for reading/computer screens etc. It's not necessary but beats taking glasses on and off all the time and useful for the computer screen most.

I have never been comfortable with wearing glasses when looking through the viewfinder. I've tried and tried, it just doesn't work for me. Thankfully that doesn't matter as the dioptre adjustment on the camera gives me the flexibiity to make that choice. I also changed the focusing screen and that made a big difference for me with confirming focus when using fast manual focus lenses.

Tas
02-20-2016, 03:45 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

The dioptre correction in my camera isn't enough (I need more than -5 and it goes down to -2.5), so I use contact lenses. This works best. I don't feel comfortable shooting with glasses on they feel as being in the way.

---------- Post added 02-20-2016 at 11:47 AM ----------

My guide to how to use the dioptre correction...

1. Remove the lens from the camera body and put the white plastic lens mount cap on.
2. Point the camera to an uniform and bright area, like the cealing or a wall...
3. Adjust the dioptre to the markings in the viewfinder so you can see them clearly (the AF markings and spot circle on the matte screen).

Now you set the dioptre to the matte screen and when you check focus you check it on the matte screen.
02-20-2016, 07:44 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by john.margetts Quote
You focus on the image and on the info in the viewfinder at the same time so I suspect the image is designed to be at your near-point, not at infinity.
The information display is a virtual image, corrected by the optics in the viewfinder to focus at infinity. Keep both eyes open and focus the eye not on the viewfinder on a distant object and turn on the display - it is in focus as well. Human vision is wired for stereoscopic vision and the eyes do not focus independently.

Hold a finger near your face at a distance you can focus on it with both eyes open. Close one eye and focus on something across the room without moving your finger. Switch eyes (close the open one and open the closed one). That eye is focused on the distant object too.

My K10D has a diopter adjustment from -2.5 to +1.5. A range of 4 diopters. I count 8 possibly 9 setting positions. Let's say 8 or 0.5 diopters per click stop. With my eyeglasses - single vision for distance I have the adjustment set 3 clicks from the left. According to the manual + is to the left, - to the right. So if it is 0.5 diopters per click it is set at 0 correction. For reading a +2 is most comfortable for me. If the viewfinder was set reading distance I would need to set the diopter adjustment all the way to the right in order to see the etchings and display clearly. If it were set closer than reading distance (15 inches) I wouldn't be able to read the display with my single vision eyeglasses.
02-23-2016, 03:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Glasses on for me
02-24-2016, 02:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I see people on youtube with glasses press them against the camera all the time. I can't do that, it hurts my nose to try.
I am nearsighted, but not a lot, and use the dioptor. Set it once and forget it.
I do find myself putting on and taking off my glasses a lot, but in the normal course of life I seem to as well.
02-26-2016, 05:22 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used to shoot with my glasses on until one day my glasses broke in half at the bridge. I'm assuming that constantly pressing the camera against the frame weakened it. So now I shoot without my glasses. It gets kind of tricky because I'm near-sighted and need my glasses to chimp. Another problem was taking the glasses off and not remembering where I placed them(like on a car seat, Yikes) So what I did was to purchase one of those eye glass chains that they used back in the day. I can now take of my glasses while I'm photographing while my eye glasses stay safely around my neck where I can't forget them. :
02-26-2016, 05:47 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven't yet figured out a "best way" to use any of my cameras with or without glasses after years trying.
I can't see a darn thing at distances but yet I have to take them off if I need to look at the rear LCD monitor, or try to look "over" the glasses if need be !
Plus, I am left-eye dominant which causes my not-so-big nose to hit the LCD when looking through the viewfinder and the glasses get all smudgy too!
Someone suggested variable focus eyeglasses but I am afraid that I will spend $$$ (again!) and end up with the same problems.

So, I opted (always) with keeping the *!!**!! glasses on and tweak the diopter as I always did .... reduction in what I am seeing in the viewfinder but I can deal with that.

There is no magical cure.