Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-19-2016, 07:36 PM   #16

Adam Said it all. I was tempted for MF few times in the past but held back looking at the limitations of weight and type of money you need to spend to build the Lens echo system. While I lean towards the FF the truth is K-1 is just announced. All the great specs are on paper. Image samples from pre production units have just started appearing on the web.If you have time wait till the actual production units of FF start shipping. Once they are out more hands on reviews and real life sample images will be available for you to make an informed decision.

02-19-2016, 07:51 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would you like to buy my 645D? It has about 2,000 actuations. Much cheaper than getting into 645Z. I have a bunch of lenses to go with it. You will have enough money to buy K-1 too I bet.
02-19-2016, 09:19 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Follow your passion.
02-19-2016, 09:40 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Would you like to buy my 645D? It has about 2,000 actuations. Much cheaper than getting into 645Z. I have a bunch of lenses to go with it. You will have enough money to buy K-1 too I bet.
I Fontan, which lenses do you have ... I am looking for 160-300 and 120 macro...

02-19-2016, 10:10 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A 645Z with DFA glass is the best for sure, but I would take a K-1 with modern glass over a Z with legacy glass..........it's all about the glass....... ( i shoot 645Z and Canon full)
02-20-2016, 12:17 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
I was initially going to upgrade from my k3 to the 645z. There was something about the pictures of a larger format i enjoy, and it is something i just cant explain. Now that the new k-1 came out it got me thinking.

Am i struck by the full frame bug that will pass or do i keep with my initial thought and go even bigger?

I just do photography for my own self enjoyment.
Taking pictures of buildings, bridges, and landscapes.
I dont do large prints, usually stay between 8x11 and 13x19.
My friend and his fiancé asked me to do photos of them before their big day and i wanted to give them something special( not saying the k3 cant do it, but it is about that special look).

The part that has me thinking about the k-1 is the new pixelshift and if it compares to the 645z, the price (woohoo), low light abilities, new features, i have a few lenses that will work, and the size.

The part that keeps me thinking about the 645z, the feel of that medium format look, the dynamic range, the quality of lenses, large difference between crop sensor and medium format, and i know i said it before but that medium format look.

Although getting both would be ideal, i dont need that many cameras.

Do i go with the 645z or the k-1?

Any help will be much appreciated to nudge me to either side of the fence.
I have and will have more small children, so I am often juggling a toddler and my camera on family ventures (I have a way of using my strap to swing my camera to my back so that I can hold a kid). So that rules out MF for me, however when the kids are all grown and I have more time to play, I would love to get a MF even just for my hobby. I will probably get a FF between now and then though.
02-20-2016, 12:55 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
I have no 645 lenses yet, its a world of unknown for me. I was going to start small with the 55mm lens because of the bundle on adoramas website, and eventually pick up a 35 mm and 75 mm.

As far as lenses i currently have with the k-3. i have the hd da 16-85 wr ( was planning on selling that one to replace with the 15-30 mm, it fits the range i take pictures with better), the da 55* 1.4, and the hd da 55-300.
55mm is wide angle in the 645Z world, you have to know it if you wanna do portraits.
I tried the 645Z in november, i think it is an excellent camera but heavy and big.
You should try both before ordering.

02-20-2016, 02:21 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think there's another way to go. MF now and FF later. I'm considering this. For anyone with A645 lenses and desiring MF large printing capability, the 645D is still there at half price compared to the 645Z. A great way to that MF quality now and a huge leap over APS-C. Later, when K-1 Mark II is out hopefully addressing the K-1 disappointments of so many and this K-1 price is reduced, even more options will be available. By then, we could see the next gen 645Z out making the present Z the subject of price rollbacks.
02-20-2016, 06:37 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tgchan Quote
Do yourself a present and buy 645z. Life is short/
My thinking exactly.
02-20-2016, 07:08 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
For me, FF is the perfect middle ground because it doesn't make too many sacrifices compared to APS-C, apart from a little bit of weight and a more costly body.
This, the ratio between I need/I want.
02-20-2016, 08:30 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Medium format cameras and lens are individually larger and heavier but one tends to have fewer lenses.

You could always try to borrow or rent a Fuji GX680 for a day and after that any Pentax MF will seem to be light weight. 😀
02-20-2016, 12:19 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's all about money
Don't forget you can keep your cropped sensor lenses and usr them with the K1

Good luck

Randy
02-20-2016, 03:59 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for your input on helping me on which side of the fence I should take the plunge on. I especially thank you Adam.

Ive been persuaded to give up on my medium format quest for now and take in what the k-1 will have to offer. Earlier today I pre-ordered the k-1 with the 15-30mm lens. I wish it would have been an easier choice, but it was a difficult one for me. Especially cause there is something about Medium format that i absolutely love. As far as why I made the decision to turn towards The full frame, there are a few deciding factors.

1. As someone mentioned its hard to justify the cost of medium format when its more of a hobby then anything else. The full frame is priced at a very attractive price, and I have a couple lenses that will work on the full frame, and two that will continue to function well on the crop sensor.

2. The size of the 645z doesn't bother me, even when going hiking, but for some it might be overwhelming when there is a large camera in front of them Not as large as that fuji gx680 camera which makes the 645 look small. Also my friend who is getting married made a comment on wwwoooowwww thats a huge camera.

3. I was looking through the medium format section and saw one thread about a wide angle lenses. it got me thinking that the only prime available is only 35mm. I would include the 25mm lens but those are harder to find then bigfoot and if you can find one its usually pretty pricey.

Lastly Im very curious on how the Pixel shift will be, already from some of the sample photos I'm pretty impressed. I am still very curious on how the pixel shift will relate to the 645z, if it is close or in the same ball park Understanding that there is still a difference in sensor size and one i can live with. Once my camera arrive, Ill hopefully find a place in the san francisco area that rents the 645z so I can test the difference between the k-1 with the 15-30 lens and pixel shift, the 645z with a 35 mm lens, and for fun the k-3 and the 16-85 lens.

Now its time for me to continue to watch my front porch for my camera and lens to show up like a kid trying to wait up for santa claus to bring presents.

Thanks again everyone for your input on helping me decide.
02-20-2016, 04:28 PM   #29
mee
Veteran Member

Why not just wait until the K-1 is released and has a thorough set of reviews before deciding? Actually, why not wait and rent each?

LensRentals.com - Rent Medium Format > Pentax
LensRentals.com - Rent a Pentax K-1

A little expensive, but more expensive to buy and then have to sell at a loss when you realize you made a poor choice for your wants.

I'm actually tempted to rent a K-1 myself.. but I suspect I would get sucked into it and that it would make my little crop jobby seem so inadequate afterwards. haha
02-21-2016, 10:06 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
Erm. If you can afford the 645z, why would you bother with anything less? (I've ordered a k-1, so it's not like I don't like what it offers, but it's not in the same league as the 645z)
I would even be tempted to say: if you can afford the 645Z, why don't you buy both ?