Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2016, 12:36 PM   #31
Forum Member

I have the 645D, and it's great and I love it and I've been using it for years.
I also really love true medium format, and I see you do too. The Z isn't really that. You're not gonna get images that are that close to what a hasselblad, rolleiflex or 67 will give you.
You don't really get 'that medium format look' with the D, or with the Z. You get a cropped version of it. It's somewhere between full frame and an actual medium format look. For your needs, if you buy fast lenses (more easily available in k mount than 645 mount) you'll get a very similar output at wide open apertures. Buy the K1 and spend the difference on traveling or other stuff that will be fun for your photography. The 645Z is overkill for you, especially at the print sizes you utilize. The pentax 645 lenses are nothing amazing, they are, like most Pentax stuff, very good, serviceable solutions but there's nothing sexy about it.
If money is no object then sure, do whatever.

But I think you made the right choice.

02-22-2016, 08:21 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VladimirKostka Quote
I Fontan, which lenses do you have ... I am looking for 160-300 and 120 macro...
If I were selling I would like to sell the entire set up, really.

I do have a nice copy of 645 A120/1:4 Macro though.
02-22-2016, 08:37 PM   #33
osv
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
I wouldnt call it less. Its just different, and thats why im trying get peoples thoughts on the subject.

How can someone argue that full frame is better then medium format?
it's an easy argument to make, because the 645z really isn't much better than current 36mp+ ff cameras, see the chart at the bottom of the page: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/310344-pentax-645z-...1-dxomark.html

i'd want the 645z because: 1)more pixels to downrezz, which improves all aspects of pq, 2)the iso noise looks to be incredibly clean, it stands alone over ff there, if i had the budget i'd be all over it

but the practical aspects of things like ibis and cost with the pentax ff make it a compelling choice as well... imho, the comparison is much closer with 645z vs. ff than it is with ff vs. k3ii.

for example, a7r vs. d810 vs. d7200, there is a distinct gap in sensor performance, that's more dramatic than the 645z vs. ff chart: http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Nikon%20D7200,Nikon%20D810A,Sony%20ILCE-7R

edit: wait, isn't that what adam said already? lol, now you can see it in a chart.

Last edited by osv; 02-22-2016 at 08:49 PM.
02-22-2016, 09:22 PM   #34
Pentaxian

You could always try a film 645. I have one - relatively cheap, so much fun.

02-22-2016, 09:53 PM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you all for your input on helping me on which side of the fence I should take the plunge on. I especially thank you Adam.

Ive been persuaded to give up on my medium format quest for now and take in what the k-1 will have to offer. Earlier today I pre-ordered the k-1 with the 15-30mm lens. I wish it would have been an easier choice, but it was a difficult one for me. Especially cause there is something about Medium format that i absolutely love. As far as why I made the decision to turn towards The full frame, there are a few deciding factors.

1. As someone mentioned its hard to justify the cost of medium format when its more of a hobby then anything else. The full frame is priced at a very attractive price, and I have a couple lenses that will work on the full frame, and two that will continue to function well on the crop sensor.

2. The size of the 645z doesn't bother me, even when going hiking, but for some it might be overwhelming when there is a large camera in front of them Not as large as that fuji gx680 camera which makes the 645 look small. Also my friend who is getting married made a comment on wwwoooowwww thats a huge camera.

3. I was looking through the medium format section and saw one thread about a wide angle lenses. it got me thinking that the only prime available is only 35mm. I would include the 25mm lens but those are harder to find then bigfoot and if you can find one its usually pretty pricey.

Lastly Im very curious on how the Pixel shift will be, already from some of the sample photos I'm pretty impressed. I am still very curious on how the pixel shift will relate to the 645z, if it is close or in the same ball park Understanding that there is still a difference in sensor size and one i can live with. Once my camera arrive, Ill hopefully find a place in the san francisco area that rents the 645z so I can test the difference between the k-1 with the 15-30 lens and pixel shift, the 645z with a 35 mm lens, and for fun the k-3 and the 16-85 lens.

Now its time for me to continue to watch my front porch for my camera and lens to show up like a kid trying to wait up for santa claus to bring presents.

Thanks again everyone for your input on helping me decide.
Good choice. I hear really good things about the 15 - 30mm lens!

A K3ii will make wonderful prints in the sizes that you make. I'd argue that even a K1 is probably overkill for you.

Also, the large 645Z and lenses are expensive, and more importantly "look expensive". It screams out "steal me".
02-23-2016, 03:12 AM   #36
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Do i go with the 645z or the k-1?

Any help will be much appreciated to nudge me to either side of the fence.
Why not 645D
02-23-2016, 05:08 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Why not 645D

Ive thought about it, especially for the current price and enjoyed the photos that mike and matt have produced with the camera. The colors and details that the camera can produce is amazing. The part that kept me away from getting one were lack of live view, i wanted a flip screen, shutter count life(which i wont ever hit), and a few other small items. I might eventually get one so i can have the three pentax amigos, but the new full frame will hold me over for now.
02-24-2016, 01:32 AM   #38

Buy K-1 and buy Pentax 67 and some 67 lens and some portra160/400/800
the MF look is far more amazing(well at least IMO)
it's not like you need autofocus
if you wanna go big, then go for the biggest

02-26-2016, 08:42 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kidz14127 Quote
Buy K-1 and buy Pentax 67 and some 67 lens and some portra160/400/800
the MF look is far more amazing(well at least IMO)
it's not like you need autofocus
if you wanna go big, then go for the biggest
I'm saving my pennies up for a 67 for this very reason. I have a 645 and it's great!
02-28-2016, 07:49 PM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I'm saving my pennies up for a 67 for this very reason. I have a 645 and it's great!
p67 system is not that expensive
as long as you're not planning to buy the 75mm f2.8

anyway nice photo