Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2016, 11:03 AM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax K-3 and Porst 55mm f1.2 MC Auto

Hey,
I need some help:

I got a really cheap Porst 55mm F1.2 with Pentax K-Mount.
The lens works fine without the camera: aperture blades open and close correctly.
On my Pentax K-3 the aperture is wide open all the time.
With my 50mm F1.4 its working well.

Can someone help me. Does someone have any idea what the problem is?

PS: Its the version with aperture F1.2 - F16

Thanks in advance.

Milka

02-20-2016, 11:13 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Really Cheap f1.2? . Is it open even when you press the shutter button. You can check by putting on a low shutter speed like a second and stopping the lens down. Then look at the lens and see. Or if thats not the case, their might be an option to allow lenses with aperture or something along those lines. Do you have another body to check and see if its a lens to body problem?
02-20-2016, 11:15 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MilkaSchokoHase87 Quote
Hey,
I need some help:

I got a really cheap Porst 55mm F1.2 with Pentax K-Mount.
The lens works fine without the camera: aperture blades open and close correctly.
On my Pentax K-3 the aperture is wide open all the time.
With my 50mm F1.4 its working well.

Can someone help me. Does someone have any idea what the problem is?

PS: Its the version with aperture F1.2 - F16

Thanks in advance.

Milka
I have one of those lens and it works great - I had some great shots taken with it.
The base plate of this lens is anodized, so you need to use some kind of aluminium foil to place (shim) between the lens and camera plate to short the pins. Then it will work as if it is a M or K lens.

Here is one of my favourite examples with this lens (I believe it is wide-open or close to it anyway)
02-20-2016, 11:58 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kmurphy220 Quote
Really Cheap f1.2? . Is it open even when you press the shutter button. You can check by putting on a low shutter speed like a second and stopping the lens down. Then look at the lens and see. Or if thats not the case, their might be an option to allow lenses with aperture or something along those lines. Do you have another body to check and see if its a lens to body problem?
Just 60, On K1000 its working well, even with aperture.
On the K-3 the aperture is even wide open when press the shutter or the aperture control button,or by pressing the green button for lightmeasure.

So It is not a problem of the lens, I think.

@aleonx3: Did you use the same lens (aperture F1.2-F16) and the K-3?

Thanks for answers.

Milka

02-20-2016, 12:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just 60€, On K1000 its working well, even with aperture.
On the K-3 the aperture is even wide open when press the shutter or the aperture control button,or by pressing the green button for lightmeasure.

Thanks for answers.

Milka
You should read this article and watch the video - it sums up how to use manual lenses on Pentax cameras:
How to Use Manual Lenses on Pentax DSLRs - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

Last edited by Caver; 02-20-2016 at 12:12 PM.
02-20-2016, 12:05 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Well, the camera has to be in M mode, or the aperture will stay open always. This is the case with any fully manual K-mount lens (no contacts), which I assume is what it is? Also "aperture ring permitted" must be set. And yeah, it needs a conductive (bare metal) mount.

See here for full details:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html
02-20-2016, 12:23 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Just 60€, On K1000 its working well, even with aperture.

Thanks for answers.

Milka
Yes, same lens... as I said, the only reason it does not work the same (as M/K lens) is because of the anodized lens base plate. I have 2 (one on the name plate just read Color reflex, another with Porst name 55f1.2). As others have mentioned, it works the same as M or K mount lenses, you have to use M mode and stop-down metering (using green button).
02-20-2016, 12:41 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
Just 60, On K1000 its working well, even with aperture.

Thanks for answers.

Milka
Lucky Lucky

02-20-2016, 01:03 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Caver Quote
You should read this article and watch the video - it sums up how to use manual lenses on Pentax cameras:
How to Use Manual Lenses on Pentax DSLRs - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com
Thanks for the link.

@vonBaloney: I already use this settings and as you can read upon it works with Pentax-K SMC 50mm F1.4.

Do you think I need a "Pentax K to Pentax K-Adapter"?!? or can I buy a plate you telling about @aleonx3 ?
02-20-2016, 01:11 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Thanks for the link.

@vonBaloney: I already use this settings and as you can read upon it works with Pentax-K SMC 50mm F1.4.

Do you think I need a "Pentax K to Pentax K-Adapter"?!? or can I buy a plate you telling about @aleonx3 ?
You did not say "Pentax-K", only "50mm F1.4", which might have been and A or FA or whatever. For all I know given what you wrote, you've never used any manual lens on a Pentax DSLR. Therefore, it was not clear you had knowledge of each of things you needed to know, so I listed them all in one place for clarity. (M mode, aperture ring permitted, conductive mount). Sorry for trying to help!
02-20-2016, 01:16 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
You did not say "Pentax-K", only "50mm F1.4", which might have been and A or FA or whatever. For all I know given what you wrote, you've never used any manual lens on a Pentax DSLR. Therefore, it was not clear you had knowledge of each of things you needed to know, so I listed them all in one place for clarity. (M mode, aperture ring permitted, conductive mount). Sorry for trying to help!
Im sorry, I wont offend you. Im thanking for all kind of help I can get.
02-20-2016, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Im sorry, I wont offend you. Im thanking for all kind of help I can get.
I am sorry, I did not make it clear (I thought you know what "anodized" mean), you don't need to buy any adapter at all, just use a small piece of aluminum foil (some food container) and use it as a shim to put in between the lens and the mount on the camera (covering all the pins near the mount button). The purpose of this is to short all the pins (since anodized plate does not provide a conductive surface). After you have done that, you are good to go.
02-20-2016, 02:02 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
@ aleonx3: GREAT THANKS for it. It works when using the aluminium foil =). So now Im preparing a all time solution.
Thanks for you all. Quick help =)
02-20-2016, 02:15 PM   #14
Pentaxian

@ aleonx3: GREAT THANKS for it. It works when using the aluminium foil =). So now Im preparing a all time solution.
Great, I am glad it helps... enjoy your new found "fast" lens!! I have so many other ones to use that this one tend to get ignored, my current favourite manual lens is the RE Auto-Topcor 58f1.4, again sharp wide-open but you still have to be careful with the focus as the DOF is very thin. Since the focus accuracy can depend on the directional turn of the focus ring (from far-to-near or vice-versa), it can do wonders but also can ruin your shots if you are not careful. Happy shooting!!
02-20-2016, 05:33 PM   #15

This post has pics of using copper tape on a lens adapter (to short the contacts on the mount on the body side) instead of scratching the anodization off of the adapter.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/314167-c...ml#post3537761