Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-23-2016, 09:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New K3ii - Spare Battery + Memory Suggestions!

I just purchased a lightly used K3II from a member here...
Sorry, I meant to say I FINALLY GOT A K3II

I've been shooting with my K30 for about a year now and have always had 3 spare batteries and 2 memory cards on stand-by.

This is the exact card I currently use: 32GB Extreme

Does the K3II benefit from upgrading the card to this: 32GB Extreme Pro

Other suggestions are welcomed as well!
I'm not limiting myself to the SanDisk line, it's just what came to mind (and what I currently use).

Now to batteries!
I've like to keep with OEM products, nothing against third-party if I can find a reliable brand... Well I guess that raises a question, can your camera warranty void if there is a failure using a non-OEM battery?

to pickup 3 D-Li90 batteries and a new 64GB extPro card, I'm looking at about $165.
Not horrible, but I'd like to see that number in the double digits if possible.

Thanks!
Also to note, I'll likely be purchasing a D-BG5 at some point. Not sure if that alters the decision.

02-23-2016, 09:42 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I use only Pentax brand batteries. I have found other types do not retain charge. I use Transcend 32 G SDHC UHS-1 cards and they are very dependable.

I also have K-3II, and a K-5IIS.

---------- Post added 02-23-16 at 12:17 PM ----------

The Transcend 64 GB High Speed 10 UHS-3 Flash Memory Card 95/60 MB/s (TS64GSDU3) is the newer version of what I have, and there is also theTranscend 64GB SDXC Class 10 Flash Memory Card Up to 30MB/s (TS64GSDXC10E). They differ approximately 7 dollars in price.

Last edited by C_Jones; 02-23-2016 at 10:19 AM.
02-23-2016, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

you want to stay in the 80+mbs with your k3ll. For my k5lls I use non OEM batteries but with my k3ll I am staying with using OEM. You may consider getting a grip as I am finding the K3ll goes through the battery a lot faster than my k5.
02-23-2016, 11:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
you want to stay in the 80+mbs with your k3ll. For my k5lls I use non OEM batteries but with my k3ll I am staying with using OEM. You may consider getting a grip as I am finding the K3ll goes through the battery a lot faster than my k5.
Great info!
when you say 80+MB are you talking write speeds?

I think my SanDisk Extreme is only 30MB write/ 90MB read...
The Extreme Pro is listing at 90MB write/ 95MB read.

02-23-2016, 11:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I buy (acme???) batteries Li90 from the Orient for my K3 & same brand for myK200D in past Hugh difference in price over OEM . Dont notice any difference in capacity checked batteries once or twice in the K3 with a metre seemed to hold OK . I have 5 spares get a few hours out of each but never let them get too low before I switch(Battery Icon Useful). I have an OEM Pentax in the cycle as well dont notice any material difference. Price not worth it. I have a grip for the K3 and had one for the K200d in thepast for years.I never had to worry about running out of Juice in the BoonDocks.
Also just bought Transcend Ultra 600X 95 mb/s 64GB in January working fine from that Meca of Minatureization Poland for $70.00 CAN for 2 of them. I notice the difference in $$$$$$ but very little patience for splitting hairs in preformance.
02-23-2016, 12:00 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the K3II world! I bought mine in December. I had 2 batteries for the K5 so now I have 3. I did try an off-brand one for the K5 but it was rubbish. Now they're all OEM. I haven't noticed a battery life issue yet, but I haven't pushed it either. In the spring and summer when I'm doing my insect survey work then we'll see how the GPS and standby drain the batteries. I do look forward to using it then, I think it will be substantially better with no AA filter and the faster focusing.

Do note though, that the RAW files from the K3 are much bigger than the K5's and presumably that much more bigger than the K30's.
I'm getting more ruthless with the files I decide to keep.
02-23-2016, 12:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Welcome to the K3II world! I bought mine in December. I had 2 batteries for the K5 so now I have 3. I did try an off-brand one for the K5 but it was rubbish. Now they're all OEM. I haven't noticed a battery life issue yet, but I haven't pushed it either. In the spring and summer when I'm doing my insect survey work then we'll see how the GPS and standby drain the batteries. I do look forward to using it then, I think it will be substantially better with no AA filter and the faster focusing.

Do note though, that the RAW files from the K3 are much bigger than the K5's and presumably that much more bigger than the K30's.
I'm getting more ruthless with the files I decide to keep.
I figured as much in regards to file size.
I'll probably pickup another 32GB card.
Even if I'm trigger happy with the K30 on a particular day I've never filled 32GB in one session. Even just running home for lunch I typically drop the contents to my hard drive before running back outside.
At least if I have a back up I can pack a lunch and stay out in the field a bit longer!

Still on the fence about the D-BG5 grip... Never shot with a grip, I don't know if I'll like the balance of things.
I imagine it would be nice with the DA*300 on the front. Especially on a monopod, figure it would balance quite nice.

I wish I could try one out before dropping another $100

02-23-2016, 01:40 PM   #8
Pentaxian

The K3ll will not write at 90mbs but of course faster is better. I have two 95mbs extremes and two 80mbs I use for back up as well as a Flu-card. You don't need to use a $100.00 grip I have a $40.00 sealed grip I have used for the past wo years with my K5lls that has worked great, although I did buy the OEM with my K3ll purchase. They are heavier, for my hands it helps to have the added grip also I like the balance with it especially with bigger lenses.
02-23-2016, 01:48 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suggest the 95Mbs cards too as I really don't fill the buffer when using them. For batteries I got a DSTE package with two batteries and a travel charger for $17.53.
02-25-2016, 05:36 PM   #10
Forum Member

I got my K3ii in December also. I find that GPS and the flu card put a fairly heave drain on the battery. When they are off the battery seems to last just fine.
02-25-2016, 08:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Pay close attention to the write speed. The K-3 maxes out around 60mb/sec, but the Extreme only writes at 40mb/sec. Pretty much read speed is not going to have an effect on camera performance, but is important for download to the computer (but what's a few seconds on that end really worth?).

Will disagree with the OEM only recommendation, as well as the cheap DSTE/Wasabi alternative (they are the same battery). Keep in mind, the K-30 needed 3 spares to get through a day, but not a problem with the K-3 battery. The Watson/Pearstone (from B&H) - Watson D-Li90 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack (7.4V, 1800mAh) B-3704 - in my experience slightly outperforms the OEM by about 15%, especially under heavy use and over time. Considering that the price is half or less, a good deal. The DSTE/Wasabi is probably 20% under OEM, and a little under in terms of longevity. Fine if you don't push the battery to its limits. The DSTE/Wasabi charger is pretty good - especially if you need a fast charge. But the Pentax charger will extend the life of the battery.

Last edited by ScooterMaxi Jim; 02-26-2016 at 11:15 AM.
02-25-2016, 09:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Regarding batteries, I have 2 OEM and 8 Hähnel batteries. 2 OEM and 6 Patona chargers. All of these have been put to good use. My 2 K-3 II's have a combined shutter count of 50.000 or more, and I've never had battery related issues. I've had issues 2-3 times in total since I bought the cameras last summer, and they were all related to the GPS issue.

I'm not worried about my batteries.

Ps. the performance of the Hähnel batteries is very good compared to the OEM. One thing I hate, is unreliable batteries and chargers.