Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2008, 04:47 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K-20 in addition to K-10

I have been thinking of buying a K-20 as a second body to add to my bag of goodies. Of all you K-10 owners out there,(who have bought a K-20) did you stop using your K-10 after you purchased the K-20?
Secondly, did you see a improvement in image quality with the new cmos sensor, all the sales guys tell me it's a huge improvement over the K-10.
I have some decent optics for the camera, all pentax, 100mm macro, 16-45 f/4,
50-135mm 2.8 12-24mm f/4 so before I drop the coin, will the K-20 shoot consistantly sharper photos?(providing I can steady my old shakey hands long enough ha,ha,)

07-05-2008, 04:53 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have both and I don't think the new sensor is that big of an improvement. Don't get me wrong, the camera is a nice upgrade and includes some very useful other new features. I did a test just today shooting both cameras with the same lens, same light, same subject, side by side. While there are differences between the two, they are not huge.

Here is a sample of the test...https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/31477-crappy-pentax.html
07-05-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
That was the kind of info I was wanting. I was going to do the same type of side by side comps, i just would have to do it at the local store. Did you happen to do any outside, landscape stuff, as that is my gig. Thanks for the input.
07-05-2008, 06:05 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I have done a lot of outdoor work with my K20, but not the kind of side by side stuff like this.

07-05-2008, 07:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have both. The K20D does almost every thing a little bit better. The color is better on the K20D. Can't be more specific, it just pulls me into the print more. There are also color differences between the K10D and DS. These differences don't seem to affect me the same way. I don't know if its cmos vs ccd chip, higher resolution vs mid or lower, a combination, or something else. Will do some tests to try and figure this out .

The one thing the K20D doesn't do as well is long time exposures. Can't stop, dark frame subtraction, noise reduction from turning on. So a 20 sec exposure means a second 20 sec exposure that freezes the camera!

Except for backup or long time exposures (fireworks, lightning, astronomy, etc.) rarely use K10D. If not for above K20D problem K10D would be gone. Get more keepers with K20D.

thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #8 in P&S forum. Enter #9. Any camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject.