Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2016, 12:02 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Embedded copyright information question.

When the embedded copyright information is entered into the camera's menu, what does this provide the camera owner? I guess, what I'm asking is.... I often notice many photos posted here on PF have the photographer's name and so forth across the bottom or side of the image. I don't want that on MY particular photos, but, again, what good does it do for me to enter the copyright information on my camera?

Does this embed some information that will show up if someone were to try and copy my image?

Color me confused.

FWIW, I shoot a K-50, a K-30 and a K-x..... Most of the time!

02-23-2016, 12:08 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
When the embedded copyright information is entered into the camera's menu, what does this provide the camera owner? I guess, what I'm asking is.... I often notice many photos posted here on PF have the photographer's name and so forth across the bottom or side of the image. I don't want that on MY particular photos, but, again, what good does it do for me to enter the copyright information on my camera?

Does this embed some information that will show up if someone were to try and copy my image?

Color me confused.

FWIW, I shoot a K-50, a K-30 and a K-x..... Most of the time!
It would just put your name in the copyright field of the EXIF data.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-23-2016, 12:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

You can have it embedded in the EXIF data. Putting the name on the image is a watermark. Basically having it in the EXIF data you can see a picture someone stole of you and say 'Oi! That's my photo my name is embedded in the EXIF' or something like that.
Have a nice day
02-23-2016, 12:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Someone told me it's also good if someone steals your camera, you can say - hey it's in my camera because the data I put in the camera. I was told most people don't know to go in and change the data. I could be wrong on that. I have never had my camera stolen so I dunno know if that is something that works.

Facebook and I believe Instagram strips all metadata, but flickr does retain the data.

02-23-2016, 12:16 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Facebook was embedding the information, in the caption field. OK, that was annoying. It doesn't do that anymore. But it's a good idea to put your name in that field, it will show up in EXIF. I don't know whether FB preserves the info - probably not.
02-23-2016, 12:20 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It would just put your name in the copyright field of the EXIF data.

Hmmm..... I have entered the copyright info in both my K-50's and my K-30 and when I look at the EXIF data on photos posted here on the PF, it shows nothing like that. I have gone back and checked the input on all three cameras, and it shows that it is indeed entered. Am I missing something?
02-23-2016, 01:13 PM   #7
Pentaxian

As mentioned before, if a hypothetical thief is unaware of it you can proof your ownership that way, similarly it embeds your copyright in images, so if someone 'steals' some of them and publishes them without your consent, again you can proof they're yours (unless the scoundrel removes the information).
02-23-2016, 01:17 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmmm..... I have entered the copyright info in both my K-50's and my K-30 and when I look at the EXIF data on photos posted here on the PF, it shows nothing like that. I have gone back and checked the input on all three cameras, and it shows that it is indeed entered. Am I missing something?
It depends on your export settings for an uploadable JPEG to the forums or elsewhere. In Lightroom, for instance, you're telling the export process what level (if any) to embed. One possibility is "none". I assume that would be similar for whatever conversion/export process you're using, if not Lightroom.

02-23-2016, 02:55 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It should be there, if you click on the EXIF dropdown. Definitely not prominent, but it's there.

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-23-2016, 03:00 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
Someone told me it's also good if someone steals your camera, you can say - hey it's in my camera because the data I put in the camera. I was told most people don't know to go in and change the data. I could be wrong on that. I have never had my camera stolen so I dunno know if that is something that works.

Facebook and I believe Instagram strips all metadata, but flickr does retain the data.
That's right. And resetting the camera settings actually doesn't reset the copyright info; you have to go in and change it manually.

Adam

02-23-2016, 03:04 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Facebook was embedding the information, in the caption field. OK, that was annoying. It doesn't do that anymore. But it's a good idea to put your name in that field, it will show up in EXIF. I don't know whether FB preserves the info - probably not.
Sweet, I've had scripts run automatically to strip the info on Facebook images on Lightroom exports. I guess I can stop that extra overhead.

---------- Post added 02-23-16 at 05:10 PM ----------

It doesn't really get you anything. EXIF is not visible on the image, but can be viewed with various tools.
EXIF can be easily modified and removed with various tools. (including uploads to websites, as mentioned).

If a thief is stupid, they might leave the EXIF and you can show some lightweight connection to ownership. If they ignore you, too bad, so sad.
If you're actually concerned about copyright protection, look into filing with the copyright office.
You could get minor monetary reward if you do not file (although not likely to be anywhere near your legal fees).
But with copyright on file, a win could mean that you can potentially give up your day job.
02-23-2016, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Code:
$ exiftool -artist="Theodor The Thief" -copyright="Now All My Rights Reserved, Theodor The Thief"  copied_image.jpg
Yeah, put it the JPEG's meta data. No one will figure that out.
02-24-2016, 07:36 AM   #13
Pentaxian

It's not much of a deterrent for thieves, but it can help track down the original photographer when an image ends up 'innocently' proliferating across the internet. The people who are just spreading an image they found and enjoyed aren't likely to deliberately strip or alter the exif (though the programs they use to spread it may do the stripping automatically), and if the embedded copyright still exists on some image that turns up in a google image or tineye search, I have a better chance of finding the original source.

So please, include it. It can make my grumpy work of pointing out proper attribution a little easier.

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Code:
$ exiftool -artist="Theodor The Thief" -copyright="Now All My Rights Reserved, Theodor The Thief"  copied_image.jpg
Yeah, put it the JPEG's meta data. No one will figure that out.
I'm gonna go ahead and steal your code, no one will notice.

Code:
$ exiftool -artist="Brian The Thief" -copyright="Now All My Rights Reserved, Theodor The Thief"  copied_image.jpg
02-24-2016, 09:43 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I'm gonna go ahead and steal your code, no one will notice.
You didn't steal it. You copied it. I still have the original just like a photo. You can steal a car and the person no longer has it but copying an image is not identical in that regard; hence, it is not covered under criminal law, if I recall correctly.
02-24-2016, 10:17 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
You didn't steal it. You copied it. I still have the original just like a photo. You can steal a car and the person no longer has it but copying an image is not identical in that regard; hence, it is not covered under criminal law, if I recall correctly.
My feeble attempt to subtly parody lazy and obvious internet copyright infringement has sadly fallen into a semantic argument. That's ok, if I haven't made at least 3 failed jokes by noon, it means I'm just not trying hard enough

I'd say that the common usage of the word 'steal' covers my usage above these days - with the large disclaimer that no one should ever take legal advice from me