Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2016, 09:11 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Battery grip question

Hi everyone,

A quick question about the battery grips: why do you use a battery grip ???

I have always bought a battery grip and always use them.

Although they tend to be a bit heavy, I like the "feeling" it gives when holding the camera.

I have tried on a few occasions to use the camera without the BG but it seems that the bottom part of my hand and pinky(little finger) just seem to be looking for a place to rest. But with the BG, my whole hand is "stabilizing" my camera.

As for the extra battery power, I have rarely gone through one battery in a day.

Soooo....... why do YOU use the battery grip ?

Gary

02-24-2016, 09:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I have had a grip in all my cameras since the K-7. And will get one for the K-1 as well, once available.
I shoot a lot with long heavy lenses (70-500mm). The grip makes the combo a lot more balanced and easier to handle. The other think is that I spend a lot of time in the wilderness, where spare batteries are a necessity.
02-24-2016, 10:23 AM   #3

I started using a BG with my K-3, and I wouldn't have it any other way. My orientation for shots is usually portrait so the grip makes camera control a lot easier, and I don't have to awkwardly bend my wrists.
02-24-2016, 10:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by devouges Quote

Soooo....... why do YOU use the battery grip ?

Gary
1(a). To support the camera when using large lenses, i.e., some of the camera's weight rests on my pinky and the lower palm of my right hand via the grip. The K-3 / K-5 / K-7 are too small for my large hands, so I can't use my entire hand to grip the camera. With the grip these cameras are just the right size. However, the grip power button must be in the off position to avoid over-riding the selections you make with the buttons on the camera itself.

1(b). Brace the camera when framing a shot vertically. I use the buttons on the grip, enabling my upper right arm to brace against my body. This is important for steadying the camera when hand-holding long focal lengths.

Less important:
2. A source of power when the battery in the camera body is depleted.

02-24-2016, 11:08 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PePe Quote
spend a lot of time in the wilderness, where spare batteries are a necessity.
I had 2 Grips for my K200d bought on Ebay for a good price . When they were all stolen the Insurance Co bought 2 brand new ones for my K3 which they also paid for.
Like PePe I spend a lot of time away from the Charging Station and those 2 grips and 3 more spare generic batteries give me a lot of shooting & viewing before I have to recharge; Also I like the extended grip normal shooting and the added grip sideways. I think on my monopod the additional weight might make it more stable but that may be just me. Couldn't do without now.

P.S. I also have an A/C adapter for playing with the camera while I'm waiting at my recharging station which also happens to be beside my Lazy Boy Recliner. Life is good!
02-26-2016, 04:51 AM   #6

I've been shooting with a grip on all my cameras since the K200D. However,, it looks as weird as it sounds but I don't use the portrait buttons when shooting in portrait mode and I still end up just bending my wrist most of the time, especially more on the K-3. I just could never get the AF button mapped to my brain correctly and I use it often to cancel AF and focus manually. i tend to be in the zone once I'm taking pictures.

I also use a spider holster enough times to make it awkward holding the camera in portrait mode with a little nub sticking out from the tripod mount area...
02-26-2016, 05:27 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I have grips on both my K3 and K3II because I like the balance they provide - plus if I'm shooting a lot of portrait-orientation shots I prefer using the shutter release and controls on the grip. Battery life is rarely an issue for me - it's unusual that I would shoot enough in one session to exhaust a freshly charged battery, but it's nice to have the additional capacity there if I need it.

I don't have a grip fitted to my K5. Fitted with a typical prime lens, it makes for a small, lightweight package to carry around, and fills the gap nicely between my compacts and the K3 / K3II with grips.
02-26-2016, 06:07 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I use the grip in two situations, for balance and ergonomics:
1. With external flash
2. With large lenses (Tamron 70-200mm, DA*300)

The improved handhold allows me to wield the camera more comfortably and more than makes up for the added weight. I find even the Sigma 17-50 feels more comfortable with the grip, but I don't usually use them together because my messenger bags won't accommodate the grip. If I'm using my external flash and the 17-50, I want the battery grip.

The extra battery has sometimes been a minor benefit. I almost never shoot in portrait mode.