Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2008, 07:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Downsizing and EXIF

I somtimes need to crop or shrink a pic and keep the EXIF data in tact. So far, I have not found a way to do this. Does anyone have any advice?

Regards,

Ernest

07-05-2008, 07:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What application are you using?

I've never had a problem with resizing using an application that understands exif.
07-05-2008, 08:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
I somtimes need to crop or shrink a pic and keep the EXIF data in tact. So far, I have not found a way to do this. Does anyone have any advice?

Regards,

Ernest
I use Photoshop, I can't speak to how it works with other applications.

If you "save as", the file is saved with full EXIF intact.
If you use "save for web", the EXIF data is stripped out.
07-06-2008, 03:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
alohadave & Wheatfield:

Thank you very much. I had been using older, picture viewers to handle simple things like cropping and re-sizing. They may be too old to accomodate EXIF data. I only like to shoot JPG, because I have not learned how to PP the Raw images out of the K20 too well yet--I do more damage than good.

I have a copy of Lightroom, but fear PP. But I spent time with it today and learned how to downsize a file. Using Lightroom, the EXIF data is kep in tact when you downsize. Thank you for the help!

Regards,

Ernest

07-06-2008, 04:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lightroom is a great application, and you don't need to do PP if you don't want to. It's as good for organizing as basic photo adjustments.
07-06-2008, 05:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I bet it is good--but it sure demands time. I am having a hard time with photography as a desk job.

Anyway, I downsized images today and checked them in Photo Me and saw the EXIF data was in tact. However, I then uploaded an image via this site and somehow it not only shrunk the image drastically, it also erased all EXIF data.

Any advice on this?

Regards,

Ernest
07-06-2008, 07:36 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
I bet it is good--but it sure demands time. I am having a hard time with photography as a desk job.

Anyway, I downsized images today and checked them in Photo Me and saw the EXIF data was in tact. However, I then uploaded an image via this site and somehow it not only shrunk the image drastically, it also erased all EXIF data.

Any advice on this?

Regards,

Ernest
Sounds like something on the server is tampering with the files. This would be better answered by the site owner.
07-06-2008, 08:17 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
It helps to know what OS you're using. If it's Windows XP, Microsoft has a nice right-click resize utility that (I believe) keeps EXIF.

07-06-2008, 09:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Wheatfield: "Sounds like something on the server is tampering with the files. This would be better answered by the site owner. "
Thanks, I e-mailed the webmaster for help.

QuoteQuote:
joefru: It helps to know what OS you're using. If it's Windows XP, Microsoft has a nice right-click resize utility that (I believe) keeps EXIF.
I use XP and never knew this. But I just tried and could not see how it is implemented. For a picture browser, I have a copy of ACDSee which automatically takes over all images in its name. I did open an image with Windows picture viewer and tried right clicking, but did not see the resizing option. What am I doing wrong?

Regards,

Ernest
07-07-2008, 11:02 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery
Sorry I wasn't clear. It's from Microsoft, but you have to download it.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageRes...ertoySetup.exe

And now that I'm at work and have an XP machine to double-check it on, YES, it keeps EXIF intact.
07-07-2008, 08:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
joefru

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ertoySetup.exe

And now that I'm at work and have an XP machine to double-check it on, YES, it keeps EXIF intact.
I tried it and it works great--thanks so much for all the help.

Regards,

Ernest