Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2016, 03:22 PM   #16
Site Supporter

I think i will keep one K-3II just in case..not shure yet. But 2 K-1's will be main bodies

02-25-2016, 05:18 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
I think i will keep one K-3II just in case..not shure yet. But 2 K-1's will be main bodies
I think you'll regret getting just two. You'll want a different focal length lens on each one, but if one of them dies in the field, you'll have to switch lenses back and forth on the other. It's a worry...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-26-2016 at 01:22 AM.
02-26-2016, 12:14 AM - 1 Like   #18
Forum Member

I will keep my K5 for a few comparisons with Crop Mode, etc and if Im satisfied with the K1 - which Im pretty sure about^^ - I will sell my K5 with a smiling and a crying eye
But before all this can happen, the K1 has to get into my hands - so Ricoh GOGO
02-26-2016, 01:39 AM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I think you'll regret getting just two. You'll want a different focal length lens on each one, but if one of them dies in the field, you'll have to switch lenses back and forth on the other. It's a worry...
Its a hard life But think i'll survive

02-26-2016, 03:12 AM   #20
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a k7, k5 and k3II. This year it's a tossup between K1 or MPE65 & MTX24 (Canon specialty items).
Likely the latter will win and I'll start running 2 systems; Pentax just don't do anything similar.
02-26-2016, 06:21 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

I plan on picking up a K-1 this year but I will be keeping my K-3 and K-01s as well.
02-26-2016, 07:13 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good points all well made in that article.

For myself, a wildlife/ landscape shooter... I can shoot landscape with APS-c, I have both the Sigma 8-16 and 10-17 fisheye. And in comparing landscapes with my D810 shooting clients, the difference between 24 MP APS-c ( or even 16 MP) is negligible. However for wildlife I have a huge advantage. Their pelican cases are twice the size of mine and they struggle on portages to end up with less range than I do bringing in much smaller kit. In fact the longest I usually bring is my 60-250 and TC. They usually have one of those 50-500 type monsters.

As for the shallow depth of field, when ever this comes up someone always posts an example of something shot in low light with extremely narrow DoF, that "couldn't have been taken with APS-c." People are too funny, they commit to their gear, and they stop thinking. Unfortunate... what I don't see is comparison images that establish the value of that narrow DoF, that would show that the narrow DOF image was the better image. Why do you need to do that?

For a couple reasons. You don't know the difference unless you see it. One FF champion on the forum has posted a series on "you can't take this with APS-c images" where only one of the images in the series was an acceptable image. Which brings up another problem for FF shooters, just because you can shoot narrow DoF in or in low light, doesn't mean it's appropriate for most images. For some it seems to have become an burden. It gives them choice they didn't have before, but they aren't completely capable of managing those choices. I'm not sure how it is for these folks that an image largely obliterated by noise in unacceptable, but an image largely obliterated by large out of focus areas that dominate the picture aren't? One form of obliteration is bad, the other is good. And the second reason being for all but the fastest lenses, you can by a faster lens and just open your APS_c camera wider, and have a smaller wider kit.

For my own shooting I shoot many images at 2.8- ƒ16 and its about 5% of the time the ƒ2.8 image is the one I prefer. I'm guessing ƒ2.8 on FF would be about 1% or less. People forget, there just isn't that much difference and it's only if you are shooting wide open that it makes any difference.

If you have the 50 1.4, the 31, 43, and 77 1.8 and you are always showing at 1.4 or 1.8 and the DoF isn't narrow enough for you... then you are truly a candidate for an FF.

I actually don't know anyone like that,

If you shoot with a 60-250 or a 55-300 and you are always pushing for more reach, a K-3 is a no brainer. But note the difference. With my 8-16 and 10-17, I can actually get pretty much the same image, I'd get with an FF. With APS-c and long glass, an FF gets you less resolution on your subject an smaller MP image, for the same glass. It's not just a matter of DoF, you can't take the same image without long glass. Some you either compensate with smaller lighter glass, on APS_c, or you compensate with heavier longer glass on FF. The clear advantage to anyone who walks with their gear goes to APS-c, and many older guys are watching to 4/3.

I'm also somewhat amused at how so often those making these kinds of arguments always want to compare the last generation APS-c to the latest FF. Come on guys, try and be objective.

So, my current plan is to upgrade to a K-1 as part of my next upgrade cycle, as long as my K-3 can still be my main camera. If the K-3 dies, another K-3 comes first. IN my world, that's the position of the K-1. What the K-1 gives you is the chance to produce an image in excellent rarely occurring circumstances that is much better than my K-3. But how often I would actually carry a K-1 depends on my perception of how likely those circumstance are to occur on a given day. ON a still landscape day, with no wind where you might get a pixels, shifted image, a k-1 is going to shine. With less favourable conditions, most of the time it's not going to be worth bringing, unless as as second body. IN that function it's excellent. I can have 15 MP APS-c or FF as my backup and I currently use a 16 MP camera as my back up, so as a backup, it's an colossal upgrade.

As a first camera, it's just inadequate for half my use. But I fully expect it will be the first option for at least 20% of my use.

Last edited by normhead; 02-26-2016 at 08:06 AM.
02-26-2016, 07:21 AM   #23
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting Normhead Fwiw, what I've found, is that people, once they've bought something, don't tend to like admitting their purchase was wrong. So many people just say "x/y/z" is best and champion it, in which x/y/z was the thing they bought. It's very difficult to eliminate that bias from their opinion and their reviews - not too many people can afford to buy all choices to compare, or even have the technical skills and/or apparatus to do so properly.

02-26-2016, 07:44 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Fwiw, what I've found, is that people, once they've bought something, don't tend to like admitting their purchase was wrong. So many people just say "x/y/z" is best and champion it, in which x/y/z was the thing they bought.
That definitely happens. Thankfully, these days, it's pretty difficult to buy something - at least in terms of DSLRs - that is outright "wrong". Some cameras are better than others at certain things, for sure, but pretty much any DSLR can be coaxed into producing stunning photos of almost any situation / subject. Maybe it's easier to screw up on lenses (speed, focal length, screw-drive / SDM, WR or not) - but even then we can usually get decent pictures by adapting our shooting methods...

What lucky chaps we are!
02-26-2016, 07:50 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That definitely happens. Thankfully, these days, it's pretty difficult to buy something - at least in terms of DSLRs - that is outright "wrong". Some cameras are better than others at certain things, for sure, but pretty much any DSLR can be coaxed into producing stunning photos of almost any situation / subject. Maybe it's easier to screw up on lenses (speed, focal length, screw-drive / SDM, WR or not) - but even then we can usually get decent pictures by adapting our shooting methods...

What lucky chaps we are!
And many of us just want to have every camera in our bag we can both afford and carry. We don't have to know what it's good for.. but we'll find out.

Finding out is half the fun.

The other thing that happens is "this camera does this so good at thing #1, I don't care that it's not so good at thing #2, because thing #1 is what I really like". It's and besides, it's good enough at thing #2 that that difference in un=important to me."

"It does best the images I like most" pretty much negates anyone's objections to any camera system.

Last edited by normhead; 02-26-2016 at 07:58 AM.
02-26-2016, 08:11 AM   #26
Site Supporter

Fwiw, what I've found, is that people, once they've bought something, don't tend to like admitting their purchase was wrong
One of the things that stuck with me from a consumer behaviour course I took in 1982 was that studies had shown people put more effort into researching their purchases after the fact than before. This was before Google and the World Wide Web. The main theory to explain this is that people want to be happy with what they spend their money on, so they keep looking for justification until they are happy.
even have the technical skills and/or apparatus to do so properly
I've sold tires to OEM's and all the performance data in the world can't always overcome the problem of "our dealers just want something black and round" or "I need to show management that our procurement costs have gone down by 10%." There is no "right" answer when it comes to buying decisions, at any level or in any market. Which is okay, because it keeps people like me employed.
02-26-2016, 08:19 AM   #27
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

hehe, cool replies and healthy dose of realism in this thread
02-26-2016, 08:29 AM   #28
Pentaxian

I'm upgrading to the K-1 from my K-5II for the whole package: tilty screen, 5-axis 5-stop IBIS, larger OVF, built-in Wi-Fi and GPS, pixel shift, and yes that 36Mp AA-less FF sensor.

I skipped the K-3's for a couple reasons, but like someone said the happy benefit is that I don't have to give up 24Mp APS-C resolution! I don't shoot long (have a 55-300 which I've used on one vacation so far).

I don't know yet if I'll sell the K-5II--the last time I sold a second body (K-01) I regretted it.
02-26-2016, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

No. I plan to buy the K-1 in August. I plan to keep my K-3 and K-01.
  • they are enough different that i can use them in specific circumstances where they have strengths
  • Their sensors are significantly and specifically distinct
  • I don't have a camera with on-board GPS, Astrotracer and PixelShift, so those features are not redundant
  • The K-3 and K-01 are fully depreciated, and have or will have only marginal cash value
  • I collect this stuff anyway
  • I want them all

Last edited by monochrome; 02-26-2016 at 02:14 PM.
02-26-2016, 09:47 AM   #30

Sensor size does not matter to me that much. DSLR's are too big for some of my jobs. I like DSLR for sports and the like. For the rest I like mirrorless.

Pentax should have made this cam with a shutter speed dial. The program dial is the worst thing they ever invented other than Fuji's terrible 'focus by wire.'