Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2016, 11:37 AM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by Ilovemypentax Quote
Pentax should have made this cam with a shutter speed dial. The program dial is the worst thing they ever invented other than Fuji's terrible 'focus by wire.'
Um... Maybe you have a use I haven't though of, but what about the front dial? I don't think I customized it much from default, and my K-3 front dial adjusts shutter speed in P, Tv, Av, Sv, TAv, and M mode (sometimes adjusting ISO or aperture to maintain exposure, depending on the mode). The only thing I can think a set shutter dial would gain is a visual indicator you can look at, but you can just look at the top display panel or in the viewfinder and see the same thing.

I won't be buying a K-1 for quite a while (if ever) but the customizable third dial is one of the features I am jealous of.

*Edit
Unless you mean you would prefer a shutter speed dial in place of the P, Tv, Av, Sv, TAv, M dial... In that case I think I understand what you mean. I can see the appeal of older cameras like the Super Program where you controlled all the settings, but if you wanted a specific setting to be automatic you set that knob to A / Auto. It was simple and easy to understand, but only if you know what all the knobs do. I'd say many novices tend to gravitate towards full Auto, so the extra knobs just confuse them.

My favorite advantage to this digital 'fly-by-wire' approach is that you can set up custom user modes that you can switch between with one knob and adjust many settings all at once. (If each setting still had a physical knob this wouldn't be possible.)

Last edited by TheOneAndOnlyJH; 02-26-2016 at 11:44 AM.
02-26-2016, 11:38 AM   #32
osv
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
This guy makes some pretty good points about FF vs APS-C. I think anyone selling their other bodies to go FF exclusively is making a huge mistake.
that link is loaded with false information, it's all been discussed multiple times here on pf already.

i would suggest reading this link, for a true understanding of crop vs. ff: Equivalence
02-26-2016, 01:01 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
that link is loaded with false information, it's all been discussed multiple times here on pf already.

i would suggest reading this link, for a true understanding of crop vs. ff: Equivalence
I couldn't get any farther than 1/3 of the way through the essay at the latter link (section titled "DOF / Diffraction / Total Amount of Light on the Sensor") because he doesn't define his acronym "CoC" and I couldn't guess what he means.
02-26-2016, 01:13 PM   #34
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Circle of Confusion

02-26-2016, 01:38 PM   #35

QuoteQuote:
=Pentax should have made this cam with a shutter speed dial. The program dial is the worst thing they ever invented other than Fuji's terrible 'focus by wire.'
Not too sure what you're saying here.. In Manual mode you can use the front dial for shutter and rear dial for aperture (or flip them around in the menu).

In SV (shutter priority mode), you can turn the front dial for shutter....

Not sure why the Fuji system is being brought up but the Pentax system is so easy a cave man could operate it in comparison.... (sorry to the Fuji fans but the menus and dials on those cameras are ridiculously and poorly implemented and not user friendly at all).
02-26-2016, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Circle of Confusion is well-named, because, unless you've studied the optics involved, you wouldn't realise that it's one of the few indisputable facts in much of the discussion about equivalence, aside from focal length and aperture.

Really, osv's referenced article and the OP's are more or less lengthy discourses about the same thing, namely how the CoC influences our response to the final image. Why people feel a need to choose sides is beyond me, but the demise of the Megapixel wars seems to have left a gap for people to assert their righteousness and promote another one.

Not that I'm saying anyone here wants to do thatů
02-26-2016, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #37
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Circle of Confusion is well-named, because, unless you've studied the optics involved, you wouldn't realise that it's one of the few indisputable facts in much of the discussion about equivalence, aside from focal length and aperture.

Really, osv's referenced article and the OP's are more or less lengthy discourses about the same thing, namely how the CoC influences our response to the final image. Why people feel a need to choose sides is beyond me, but the demise of the Megapixel wars seems to have left a gap for people to assert their righteousness and promote another one.

Not that I'm saying anyone here wants to do thatů
Just between you and me, I never took any of that scientific Art / Photography curriculum - I couldn't do the math then anyway - and IDK why light is measured in K either. I just want to make pretty pictures, sometimes with old cameras and lenses.
02-26-2016, 05:30 PM   #38
Pentaxian

A Circle of confusion is also incredibly easy to demonstrate. No need for advanced math. You know that simple lens you used to use to burn hole in newspapers when you're a kid by focusing the sun on it? When it's a tiny little point of light that burns the hole? That's the lens in focus. You know how as you lift the lens, there's a circle that get's bigger and bigger? That's the circle of confusion. Really, it's not rocket science.

02-26-2016, 06:08 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
A Circle of confusion is also incredibly easy to demonstrate. No need for advanced math. You know that simple lens you used to use to burn hole in newspapers when you're a kid by focusing the sun on it? When it's a tiny little point of light that burns the hole? That's the lens in focus. You know how as you lift the lens, there's a circle that get's bigger and bigger? That's the circle of confusion. Really, it's not rocket science.
Well, let's not go into the Airy disc, just to create more confusion to the circle.

Kidding. You're right, of course, in that it is pretty straightforward, but so's rocket science, at its heart. It's just people that make it complex, and then it's a case of "my rocket's better than your rocket".