Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2016, 05:52 AM   #1
Forum Member

L-Plate/L-Bracket for Pentax K3II or New K1

What reasonable L-Plate would you suggest for the Pentax K3 II? Would it fit the new Pentax K1?

02-26-2016, 06:19 AM   #2
Forum Member

RRS [Reality Right Stuff] makes an L bracket for the K3. Will it also work on the new K1, maybe, but most likely not. Until the camera is in RRS's hand they cannot manufacturer an L bracket for the K1. RRS does make a generic plate for older Pentax cameras that might work, but they do not have an L bracket for them. Check B&H online or thru their catalog to see what other L brackets are available. My guess would be that an RRS L bracket for the K1 will most likely be available this summer. That assumes that RRS receives a lot of emails from new K1 owners who currently have RRS equipment or want their L bracket.

Jay
02-26-2016, 08:17 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have the following L plate that I use with my K-5IIS/16-85. It also fits on my K-3II.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vertical-Shoot-Quick-Release-L-Plate-Bracket-Stand-for-DSLR-Camera-/161889911995?hash=item25b16404bb:g:ragAAOSwT4lWSwbw

Last edited by C_Jones; 02-26-2016 at 08:34 AM.
06-01-2016, 09:46 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

The size difference between K1 and K3 is noticeable and since the bracket has to clamp into the tripod mountI'm pretty sure in either case a K1 and K3 bracket wouldn't be interchangeable unless you had a generic adjustable one.
Compare camera dimensions side by side

That out of the way -- are you asking with or without the grip? Without a grip it's pretty easy to find an L bracket that fits reasonably well. The basic body of the K-single digit line hasn't changed much so they're all pretty interchangeable.

With the grip, because the grip apparently changed just enough between K-5 and K-3 that your only choice besides an adjustable one you'll have to remove to change batteries is by Mestos, and unless you speak korean the best way to order it is by emailing.

Info on the last couple pages of this thread. I just got mine a couple days ago, and it's a nice solid hunk of metal:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/242751-k-3-l-plates-k3-without-grip-6.html

---------- Post added 06-01-16 at 12:46 PM ----------

and holy thread resurrection, batman, I didn't notice how old this was. Sorry!

06-02-2016, 10:50 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I got the Desmond universal L plate, arca compatible, on Amazon and it's fine on my K-3II. Machined well. Not camera-specific, but a LOT cheaper than those.