Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2016, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by apete Quote
Besides... if bigger sensor is so so so freaking good, why have not we all yet moved to 645Z?????
$$$$$ ??????

Steve

02-26-2016, 01:27 PM - 3 Likes   #17
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
I am very happy about the K-1 being launched and may very well one day purchase it. I am only afraid that all of the development power will be pushed into the FF system and we will be lacking in APS-C innovation. I know there are still wonderful lenses available to me, but I am still hoping for more WR versions of their already awesome glass (12-24 WR please!).

anyone else feel the same?
In our interview, they said they haven't forgotten, but that the K-1 drained pretty much all of their development resources in recent months. The APS-C line will continue with a focus on speed and compactness.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-26-2016, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
no concerns here whatsoever and I plan on staying with my K3II and the APS-C platform for a good while to come.
I'd guess the large majority of units sold will continue to be in the enthusiast/semi-pro category where a <$1K price point of an APS-C body makes perfect sense.
02-26-2016, 02:27 PM   #19
Pentaxian

It is easier to fit an APS-C sensor in an existing FF body than it is to fit a FF sensor in an existing APS-C body. I have no doubt that the trickling down of FF tech will come, but Pentax needs to concentrate on filling FF order demands first. The KS-2 and K3/K3-II are both sufficiently new that no immediate replacement is called for, but I imagine the engineers want to see how their tech performs in the field before putting it in another camera.

02-26-2016, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
  • The rear tilt screen design
The K-S2 already has a tilt screen. I don't see why any future APS-C wouldn't have one too.
02-26-2016, 04:28 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ilovemypentax Quote
If Pentax wants to make something different they should make the following...

Leica rangefinder knockoff FF 36-40 mp for $2500.

M43 simplified with shutter dial.

A 6mp FF digital back for a Hassy for $2500
Seriously ??
02-26-2016, 05:29 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Seriously ??
I took it as a joke...

02-26-2016, 09:03 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The K-S2 already has a tilt screen. I don't see why any future APS-C wouldn't have one too.
yeah for sure, in fact, I prefer the articulated type of screen of the K-S2 to the flippy type screen found on the K-1.
02-26-2016, 09:26 PM - 1 Like   #24
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
In the mean time several new APS-C bodies have cropped up.....
'APS-C' ... 'cropped up' ahh photography humor.
02-26-2016, 09:38 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I should probably edit to say the nifty, innovative, and unique (and very thick) rear LCD. It is a little bulky to put on a smaller body, but that is just my opinion.

Steve

(...might also add that after having owned cameras with the swing-out type, it is not a feature I would pay extra for...tend to be fragile...)
02-26-2016, 09:42 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
I took it as a joke...
Me too...

Steve
02-27-2016, 01:08 AM   #27
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
'APS-C' ... 'cropped up' ahh photography humor.
Ah. No pun intended
02-27-2016, 04:42 AM   #28

So there we have it. In the PF CP+ interview Ricoh said they will continue to develop APS-C. Among the virtues for doing so is faster FPS.
03-10-2016, 03:56 AM   #29
Forum Member

I've been watching Pentax a long time; after shooting Pentax film SLRs, I got my *ist D in April 2004 (I have a K-5 ii now). Here's what I think is most likely to happen:

First, I don't think anyone seriously thinks Pentax APS-C will be abandoned entirely. Future replacements for the K-S1 are all but assured for years to come. I think the real question is whether *enthusiast-grade* APS-C will be abandoned, leaving only consumer-grade updates for that format.

I don't think even Pentax/Ricoh knows the answer to that for certain at this point. I think it will depend on two things:
-- How well Pentax Full-Frame sells, both bodies and lenses, and:
-- To what extent those are truly new sales vs. cannibalized enthusiast-grade APS-C sales.

In the short term, I think there will be a lot of truly new sales, to people who would not have bought Pentax APS-C, and to people who have already bought Pentax APS-C. But in the long term, I think a high proportion of Pentax Full-Frame sales will cannibalize Pentax enthusiast-grade APS-C sales.

When and if that pattern is established, I think Pentax will decide that a true upgrade to the K-3 ii doesn't make economic sense -- too few buyers interested, since so many will have switched to Pentax Full Frame. Maybe we'll see a K-3 iii minor update, but no true upgrade. But I think we will see the K-3 ii (or iii or whatever) soldier on for a long time, as a symbolic halo for the APS-C line, long after it is selling in significant numbers, just as the *ist D was available long after it was competitive, until it was replaced by the K10D.

Another reason to think that there will be no true APS-C K-3 replacement is that the naming seems to point to the K-1 being the replacement for the K-3 (K-7, then K-5, then K-3, then K-1).

But with the high end of the old K-3 market now buying the K-1, and with the K-S1 market basically unchanged, that will leave a different market for the K-S2 replacement. In addition to the old K-30/K-50/K-S2 market, it will still have to serve what had been the low end, maybe the lower half or more, of the old K-3 market. To sell the most cameras to that group, Pentax will want to hit the middle of that market. That would mean something *between* a K-S2 replacement and a true K-3 replacement. Since most of the old K-3 market is not keen on the high-fashion aesthetics of the K-S2, that camera will probably look more like an update to the K-50.

Besides aesthetics, in what ways will that camera be more like a K-3 update than a K-S2 update? Probably in whatever ways Pentax thinks most of that low end of the old K-3 market will demand in order to buy it. Here are my guesses:
-- Sensor. I think we'll see ISO higher than the K-3's 51,200, and FPS not less than the K-3's 8.3. And it will be a better sensor than the K-S1's replacement, which can and should continue to use a low-cost sensor.
-- Buffer. Not less than the K-3.
-- Write speed. Not less than the K-3.
-- AF speed, points, etc. I think this will come from the K-1.
-- Bracketing

And here's what I think will be more like a K-S2 replacement:
-- A pop-up flash rather than the K-3's GPS, or maybe something else entirely if ISO does go up. Hybrid viewfinder?
-- No magnesium alloy body
-- The LDC will tilt (like a K-S2, not like a K-1).
-- Max shutter speed
-- USB 2.0, not 3.0
-- Flash settings

If they don't do that, and instead replace the K-S2 with a straightforward K-S2 upgrade with no nod to K-3 owners that don't want to upgrade to Full Frame, then the low end of the old K-3 market will be cast adrift. Some will downgrade eventually to a K-S2 replacement, but many will start looking at other brands, especially well-established mirrorless APS-C and micro 4/3 lines. I will be surprised if Pentax lets that happen, when it would be so easy to keep most of those customers by moving the K-S2 replacement somewhat upmarket.

Regarding lenses, I think the only new enthusiast-grade APS-C lenses we should expect to see in the long-term future is wide-angle and medium zooms. For enthusiast-grade primes and telephoto zooms, I think long-term the enthusiast APS-C crowd will be expected to buy future full-frame lenses or make do with existing models.

Last edited by GregL65; 03-17-2016 at 03:45 PM.
03-10-2016, 04:44 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I would presume that Pentax will end the APS-C line if there will be some new format that will make APS-C obsolete. But I still believe that as long as there will be a demand for a high end APS-C camera, Pentax will continue to fill it up. I for one am not willing to buy into a full frame system and I still like to have compact APS-C cameras with the level of the K-3II to replace my cameras in the future. I wouldn't be surprised it the K-3 line will be the high end APS-C for quite some time. I also think only minor upgrades will be made on this system. But who knows, maybe we'll see an APS-C similar to the D500.