Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2016, 04:44 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
I don't expect I'll ever see it's equivalent, a 43-105, in a full frame lens.

I wouldn't be too sure of that. This comes pretty close.

03-10-2016, 04:03 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would expect APS-C to stay pretty popular for a while. There are some advantages for wildlife shooters and sports shooters. I would guess that Ricoh will be closely watching how the Nikon D500 sells in the coming months. It's very likely there is already a new APS-C camera in the development phase so a high end replacement to the K3 is something you can probably count on. After that, it's really going to depend on what's selling. The camera market is pretty saturated right now.
03-11-2016, 12:58 PM   #33
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I think marketing and perception have been overuling engineering with too frequent upgrades of cameras. Perhaps with a high performance FF out there people can relax a bit, and settle in for a longer cycle, upgrade a crop this year, the Mr next year and the gf the year after. Longer planning, quality checks etc.

I'd like to see more done with firmware, including older cameras.
03-12-2016, 12:18 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

+!

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Thankfully Ricoh has no interest in doing any of those things.
+1 Nicely put.

03-14-2016, 12:04 PM   #35

Are there any rumor threads about potential upcoming APS-C models? I know there were some sources getting reliable intel on the K-1 before it came out. A Prime IV / SAFOX 12 body would be nice.
03-15-2016, 01:30 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would expect them to keep at APS-C including at the same level as the K-3 is at; really I would see them keeping an APS-C at that level and at the K-S level.

Cameras like the K-3 have a size and price advantage while still putting out high quality images. I don't think I'd be in a minority of wanting to keep at APS-C for being a relatively compact dSLR. Full-frame cameras always look big and heavy. I'm also not a professional, and don't see the benefits being worth the investment for my needs. I do have battery grips for my K-3 and K-5, but I rarely use them. I have big hands, and I don't mind the handling with them, but the weight is prohibitive. I find myself more likely to carry my camera around without the grip and in a compact form.

I also recently considered buying a compact (something like the GR), but realized that my K-3 with the DA-21mm was compact enough to even negate the need for that. Once I got sucked into the prime and limited lenses, I don't see needing anything else camera-wise.