Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2016, 02:07 PM   #1

Please help me choose a new (camera!) body

Hi all!

I've been a Pentax person my whole life (since my first K1000!) I've had a Pentax K30 for the past few years and have been very happy with it. I normally shoot HDR with a userdefined setting that shoots a burst of 3 exposures at a time (0,-2,+2.) The only thing I wished the K30 did that my previous body (K20, I think?) could do is lock the mirror up. I usually shoot in Caribbean climates (terribly hot and humid, with salty and sandy breezes) so I really appreciate the weather resistant body (and in my Pentax kit mid zoom lens.) 99% of my subjects are outdoor (wide angle) nature scenes or outdoor portraits.

Last year, my K30 took a bad 4 foot tumble on a tripod onto concrete. It seemed fine, but lately (last 6 months), instead of 3 quick burst shots, sometimes it stutters and pauses (instead of a fast snap snap snap, it sometimes is a snap snap .. .... snap, or snap... snap... snap...) Not great for HDR, but it maybe happens one time in 5 shots or so.
I think it's time to get a new camera body, but have NO idea what is available from Pentax these days. It looks like the K30 is no longer made. Does anyone have some advice what I should get? I need weather resistant, min of 16MP (more would be great), programmable burst bracket for HDR, and a lockup mirror would be wonderful. I'm not rich, so low $'s would be needed (maybe up to $400?) What's my biggest bang (image quality) for the buck?
What do you think I should do?

Thank you for your time and patience.

Blessings,
Robert

02-26-2016, 02:18 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robertmillerphoto Quote
Hi all!

I've been a Pentax person my whole life (since my first K1000!) I've had a Pentax K30 for the past few years and have been very happy with it. I normally shoot HDR with a userdefined setting that shoots a burst of 3 exposures at a time (0,-2,+2.) The only thing I wished the K30 did that my previous body (K20, I think?) could do is lock the mirror up. I usually shoot in Caribbean climates (terribly hot and humid, with salty and sandy breezes) so I really appreciate the weather resistant body (and in my Pentax kit mid zoom lens.) 99% of my subjects are outdoor (wide angle) nature scenes or outdoor portraits.

Last year, my K30 took a bad 4 foot tumble on a tripod onto concrete. It seemed fine, but lately (last 6 months), instead of 3 quick burst shots, sometimes it stutters and pauses (instead of a fast snap snap snap, it sometimes is a snap snap .. .... snap, or snap... snap... snap...) Not great for HDR, but it maybe happens one time in 5 shots or so.
I think it's time to get a new camera body, but have NO idea what is available from Pentax these days. It looks like the K30 is no longer made. Does anyone have some advice what I should get? I need weather resistant, min of 16MP (more would be great), programmable burst bracket for HDR, and a lockup mirror would be wonderful. I'm not rich, so low $'s would be needed (maybe up to $400?) What's my biggest bang (image quality) for the buck?
What do you think I should do?

Thank you for your time and patience.

Blessings,
Robert
I would recommend the K-S2. It's basically the successor to the K-30/K-50, with support for mirror lock up (via 2s self-timer, like on the K-30), a higher sensor resolution, built-in Wi-Fi, and a tilting LCD.

Pentax K-S2 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

The K-S2 is around $479 new; I currently have a like-new one listed on the Marketplace for $415.

You can also opt for the K-50, which is still in production and essentially the same camera as the K-30, just with a different look. It's under $299 new.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-26-2016, 02:21 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Biggest bang for the buck is another K30 or K50. Stock of new bodies still exist.

To do more than those, the former flagship K5IIs would be a nice thought, or a K3. You could get a used K5 for under $300 now - something to consider.

Have a look in the marketplace, buying a used body from a member here will give you the best bargain, and most of us don't beat the merde out of our cameras. For that reason I wouldn't sell you my beat-up K5

Though Adam's suggestion of the KS-2 is a compelling one.
02-26-2016, 02:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You are basically describing the ks-2. My advice though would be to sod that off, and keep an eye on second hand k-3's.

I've got a k-3 currently, but I've also got a k-1 on order. As soon as that k-1 is in my hands, that k-3 will hit the market place. (Along with a silly collection of DA limited lenses)

Now is not the time for a new apsc body, that time is about 6 weeks to 2 months away.....

---------- Post added 02-26-16 at 09:53 PM ----------

(Honestly, the k-3 is ff'ing brilliant, I'd be surprised if you could kill one by dropping it)

02-26-2016, 04:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I'm not rich, so low $'s would be needed (maybe up to $400?) What's my biggest bang (image quality) for the buck?
I have a K5IIs with a couple of lenses if you are interested.
02-26-2016, 04:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think it's time to get a new camera body, but have NO idea what is available from Pentax these days.
K series | Ricoh Imaging
02-26-2016, 06:36 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-5IIS is a brilliant camera and has an lcd on the top and rear. I have that and a K-3II.
02-26-2016, 06:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Do you shoot RAW or JPG? If jpg, don't get a K3. Look for a used K5II or IIs. I have had all 3 and the K3 isn't for jpg shooters.

02-26-2016, 08:01 PM   #9

Original Poster
I shoot 100% RAW.

A new K-S2 is looking awfully good right now.
02-26-2016, 08:03 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What's wrong with the K3/3II for jpeg? I've had no issues with jpeg output with mine, and this is coming from someone who's last camera was a K-50.
02-26-2016, 09:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Well when I bought my K3 after having a k5ii, the first thing I noticed was much more noise. Lower light jpgs were noticeably grainier than with the k5II. This was actually the reason that I went to shooting full time RAW.
02-27-2016, 09:54 AM   #12
Pentaxian

The shutter mechanisms on the midline K-30/50 and K-s1/2 are linked to the mirror action, allowing for a less expensive overall design costs. Even in live view shooting, the mirror recycles when using the 2 second timer. My experience with the K-30 indicated that shooting longer lenses with even a good tripod did not allow the camera to settle down entirely in the 2 seconds.

As such, for the HDR shooting you prefer, and the desire to use real mirror up, you will get significantly better results with the higher line models, such as the K-5 series or the K-3 series. I still have a K20D, and in good light (ISO 400 and lower) it will outperform the K-30 for HDR and mirror up situations. The sensor isn't adequate past ISO 800, though.