Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2016, 02:38 PM   #1

Issues (?) with my K3ii

Let me be brief:

1) I was just at a family party and I gave my aunt my camera to take pictures. She likes taking pictures but doesn't know anything about settings so I just put it in Tv mode and fix shutter at 1/180 so she doesn't get any blurry pictures. I have the flash on (Metz 50 AF-1) at PTTL at -2.0 EV just to fill shadows. I further have the in-camera at +0.7 EV because I like bright pictures. The idea was that the camera controlled the aperture and ISO correspondingly. All the shots were done at ISO 100 and very underexposed. Why? I have the ISO at 100-3200. What settings could affect this?

2) When I half-press the shutter button it focuses as it should, but sometimes it doesnt? Some times (not always) no matter how many times I half-press it won't focus and I have to press the AF button and then it focuses. Why is this?

Thanks.

Last edited by Moropo; 02-28-2016 at 02:44 PM.
02-28-2016, 03:08 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
1) Post some examples of the photos, attached exif would help. and 2) Tell us what lens you are using.
02-28-2016, 03:14 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
1) Post some examples of the photos, attached exif would help. and 2) Tell us what lens you are using.
1) I will post some pictures when I get home.

2) DA* 16-50mm f/2.8
02-28-2016, 03:18 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Moropo Quote
1) I will post some pictures when I get home.

2) DA* 16-50mm f/2.8
Sounds like your 16-50 is starting to fail with it's SDM. You can always get the lens to convert to screwdrive if you find it being intolerable. Here is a thread that may help as well.

02-28-2016, 03:24 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What settings could affect this?
Auto ISO?

Steve
02-28-2016, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #6

Photos: Albums
Did your aunt take the lens cap off?
03-15-2016, 03:15 PM   #7

Original Poster
Sorry for delay in response.

The ISO was not in auto, it was fixed at 100, hence the outcome described above. In order to put it in auto I had to press ISO button and then the green button? I found this out by searching the forum. Why is there no menu-setting controlling this?

In regards to focus I will be looking into converting it to screw-drive I guess. The person I got this lens from said the SDM motor already failed and he had it fixed/replaced through warranty. Is it common for the SDM to fail after fix?
03-15-2016, 04:13 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Auto-ISO is controlled via the info button menu on the K-3II, but there is also the aforementioned shortcut combination.

03-15-2016, 05:21 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry for delay in response.

The ISO was not in auto, it was fixed at 100, hence the outcome described above. In order to put it in auto I had to press ISO button and then the green button? I found this out by searching the forum. Why is there no menu-setting controlling this?

In regards to focus I will be looking into converting it to screw-drive I guess. The person I got this lens from said the SDM motor already failed and he had it fixed/replaced through warranty. Is it common for the SDM to fail after fix?
Before I finished reading all the posts... I had thoughts that you are not using auto-ISO... hence you get the underexposure result... but I would go for full manual mode when using flash. Regarding the second problem you experienced, I can only say that it is possible that SDM motor fails.... I have both DA*16-50 and DA*50-135 lenses, I have no problem since the SDM motors were replaced. And I don't them as often, when not being used, I store them standing up (front element down) in the pouch. I never have any problems since then.