Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2016, 04:55 PM   #1

New to K50 - how 6x zoom?

Ok in LV, I can zoom in by clicking OK and dial up 6x....but second I try to push the trigger, LV quickly reverts back to distant view....this under AUTO or M....6x zoom subject won't "stay" in view finder....how do I 6x zoom in get zoomed subject to stay in LV, and snap the pik?

02-28-2016, 05:02 PM   #2
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm sorry, are you trying to take a picture of something zoomed in 6x? You can't do that in camera, but you can crop in post.

If you just want the live view to remain the way it is, so you can take multiple shots by adjusting focus or whatever in the close-up mode, i'm not certain you can do that. Shouldn't be too hard to zoom in again.
02-28-2016, 05:10 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Unlike many (most?) point-and-shoot cameras, DSLRs usually don't (or never?) have digital zoom.

The K-50 does allow you to crop an image (page 190 of the user manual) but only after having taken the picture, not at the moment of taking it. If you want immediate satisfaction, get a long zoom lens like the DA 18-135 or the DA 18-250.
02-28-2016, 05:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fred Shermock Quote
Ok in LV, I can zoom in by clicking OK and dial up 6x....but second I try to push the trigger, LV quickly reverts back to distant view....this under AUTO or M....6x zoom subject won't "stay" in view finder....how do I 6x zoom in get zoomed subject to stay in LV, and snap the pik?
That Digital zoom thing only works in live view and is meant as a focusing aid. It is not an effect for the final photo; it is only used so you can more clearly see where the lens focused in live view. It also opens the lens' aperture, so DoF is thinner. It is very useful if you use Manual focusing, especially older lenses with bright aperture (f-number lower than f2.8)

Zooming on DSLR cameras can only be done via the lens - some lenses have a zoom ring with a certain range (for example, 18-55mm means the lens' focal length can be changed from 18mm all the way to 55mm. If a lens has just one number instead of a range, then it has no zoom (DA 35mm f2.4, for example, has no zoom))

A smaller zoom range generally indicates a better image quality on a given price point.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 02-28-2016 at 05:25 PM.
02-28-2016, 06:48 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
I'm sorry, are you trying to take a picture of something zoomed in 6x? You can't do that in camera, but you can crop in post.

If you just want the live view to remain the way it is, so you can take multiple shots by adjusting focus or whatever in the close-up mode, i'm not certain you can do that. Shouldn't be too hard to zoom in again.
GOY it! Worked perfectly.....thank you!

---------- Post added 02-28-16 at 06:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aremmes Quote
Unlike many (most?) point-and-shoot cameras, DSLRs usually don't (or never?) have digital zoom.

The K-50 does allow you to crop an image (page 190 of the user manual) but only after having taken the picture, not at the moment of taking it. If you want immediate satisfaction, get a long zoom lens like the DA 18-135 or the DA 18-250.
GOT it, pg 190 - 'crop' ok no idea that translates into 'zoom' (to me anyway!)....new at this (obviously)! Thanks
02-28-2016, 07:00 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fred Shermock Quote
'crop' ok no idea that translates into 'zoom' (to me anyway!)
It means that you can create a new image by cutting, or cropping, a section of an existing image. You can do this directly in the camera, although most people do it on their computers where they have access to better software.