Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2016, 06:02 AM   #346
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
The photo look great but not perfect. I agree that among theses shoots you typically take, the current one is significantly less noise onthe shadow part than you managed in the past. But there still need to cheat, to compress the original scene dynamic range into the limited one of a screen or print. And this show. at the area at the limit between dark and light area there halos, the tree on the right in particular has it. It look like fog, but still look strange... It almost look like that tree was added and pasted to the image. The cloud on the top right look underexposed.

As I understand it, the best shoots are still with the best possible light to begin with. We can push things, a better sensor help, but that still hard job.
Well, I would say that your quibbles are with my post processing and not with the dynamic range available. You like your images darker than I like mine and I do tend to push images more. If you never use more than 5 or 6 EVs of dynamic range, than it is no big deal. Halos and things like that have nothing to do with APS-C versus full frame arguments -- they have to do with tools used and the skills of those who use them. What I am looking at is noise and resolution and in both of those respects, this image way exceeds what I could get from a K3.

06-25-2016, 08:52 AM   #347
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
I don't think anyone's shooting it down - the majority of Pentaxians are very impressed with it, me included. But that doesn't mean that I need or want one, which I don't. I also agree that resolution is not the be-all-and-end-all of IQ, and that colour and contrast make a much more immediate impression. This is where Pentax lenses (and Limiteds especially) have almost always scored over the competition.
I get the impression that if one did not immediately committed to buying the K1 they are either knocking the camera or claiming it is too expensive according to biz-engineer. I personally prefer to read why others besides myself decided not to buy rather than having to defend agaist straw arguments.

My K5iis compared to my K-r is barely used, I am shooting more film and having shot with the D200 at work and home prior to buying my own cameras, the K5iis is as large of one I wish to use. To replace an item that is working perfect has plenty of life in it and does all I demand of it with something simply because it is newer and better is not the person I am.
06-25-2016, 12:29 PM   #348
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Well, I would say that your quibbles are with my post processing and not with the dynamic range available. You like your images darker than I like mine and I do tend to push images more. If you never use more than 5 or 6 EVs of dynamic range, than it is no big deal. Halos and things like that have nothing to do with APS-C versus full frame arguments -- they have to do with tools used and the skills of those who use them. What I am looking at is noise and resolution and in both of those respects, this image way exceeds what I could get from a K3.
I agred and I said it, but the problem is what to do with it. Any DSLR will get you a properly exposed picture with virtually no noise.

If you push heavily I fully agree a better sensor will get better result.

Any DSLR or even compact will enable you illimited dynamic range with HDR, and that work even handled but that's considerably more anoying that shooting a single frame. Compared to K3, you don't have to braket if you would use only 2 pictures HDR on the K3, and yes, that quite an asset. You can do a good part of it with the K3, almost the same if you add a bit of noise removal, but that may not look as clean, that's sure.

And clearly, maybe half of the photos you post here exploit the high dynamic range, so that make lot of sense.

What I wanted to say is that you don't get that out of the body directly and perfecting it is complex. I know I can't manage it (to be perfect at least). The photographers that I know that get the best out of it use photoshop with layers and advanced technique to apply different effect to different parts. This can take some time. I prefer to use an HDR tool for that or the bundled tone mapping features (albeit basic) available in DxO, but that not as good, clearly.

That's more than what I care to do for my photography, I admit that as I would not really leverage this, there no real point for me on the feature.

I don't say that's a reason for other to discard the possibility the K1 offer on that topic but more to think if they'll be able to leverage it or not, if they are interrested or not. You for sure will as this is a style you really use.

For me that the key, know what you care about, what you want to achieve and use the right tool for the jobs. Theses things are just tools after all.