Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2016, 01:41 AM   #31
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
The K-1 looks to be an absolutely superb camera, but my photography skills are not up to its level by quite a long way. I currently have a K-3 which is not being used to its full potential - for now !! One day I hope to rise to such levels. In the meantime, I am going to be watching with great interest which APS-C equipment I can pick up soon. Good luck to all that get the K-1.

02-29-2016, 03:13 AM - 1 Like   #32

I moved into photography with DSLRs because I had reached a point with my cell phone camera where I could no longer take the photos I wanted, so I did my research and got the k-50. Wih only the 18-55 kit lens, I am still learning the ropes and looking to expand my lens selection before I even think of upgrading. When (and if) I upgrade to another Pentax body it will be due to either needing a new one because the one I have no longer works, or no longer meets my needs. Since I have no need or desire to go pro, I do not know if I will ever need a full frame.
02-29-2016, 03:40 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been scanning a load of recently recovered 35mm slides and realising just how different FF is to APSC. I love the look of my 35mm telephoto shots despite the reduction in effective magnification, and the smoother gradations will definitely be a plus. Apsc is great for macro - more magnification and pixel density for fine detail, so I won't lose the K3 until a better model comes along (and my finances have stabilised) but I can't imaging not finding my way to a K-1, even though I currently don't have the money - a great incentive to get out there taking saleable pics
02-29-2016, 03:50 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
The K-1 looks to be an absolutely superb camera, but my photography skills are not up to its level by quite a long way. I currently have a K-3 which is not being used to its full potential - for now !! One day I hope to rise to such levels. In the meantime, I am going to be watching with great interest which APS-C equipment I can pick up soon. Good luck to all that get the K-1.
That's precisely the other way around! The smaller the sensor, the more skills you need to get high quality results. Smaller sensor / higher pixel density and lower high iso performance, is much harder to get good photos in lower lighting conditions. Remember the rule of thumb for the shutter speed = 1/focal_length for 35mm format... for APSC with same pixel size you need 1/(1.5xfocal_length). The full frame system expands a lot of the conditions in which you get high quality images without taking care. For example, when lighting is not at its best, you need to help the APSC sensor with controlled lighting with additional speed-light for instance, where it would not be necessary with a ff sensor.

So if you think you are short of skills for a K-3, that may not be the case anymore with a K-1.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-29-2016 at 04:00 AM.
02-29-2016, 03:55 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's precisely the other way around! The smaller the sensor, the more skills you need to get high quality results.
No, it's easier to take pictures with a bigger depth of field.

That's what throws people going to a DSLR after using their phone for photography.
02-29-2016, 04:01 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I will buy K-1. Well most probably. And if not K-1, then K-1 II.

However, I will surely keep my K-7 and K-3 and use both APS-C and FF alongside. I don't see FF as APS-C replacement, but as a complement.

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
No, it's easier to take pictures with a bigger depth of field.

Exactly. I'm truly impatient to mount my A50 f1.2 or Revuenon 55 f1.2 or Sigma 85 f1.4 or Samyang 135mm f2 on K-1 to see the razor-blade only deep (well... shallow) DoF.
Most of the lenses is soft at widest aperture, so my expectation is that I would go to higher f number without rapid increasing of DoF (because FF) while getting sharper shots. FF lenses on FF sensor. Finally.

Last edited by zzeitg; 02-29-2016 at 04:09 AM.
02-29-2016, 04:02 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
No, it's easier to take pictures with a bigger depth of field. That's what throws people going to a DSLR after using their phone for photography.
Yes you're right, but depth of field is only one thing among others. When I moved from compact camera to DSLR, I knew nothing about DSLR, DoF etc, and from day #1, my pictures were all better, for me it was a "Woww! this DSLR rocks" and since I had a K200D, I never used a compact camera again.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-29-2016 at 04:07 AM.
02-29-2016, 04:13 AM   #38
Closed Account

So if you think you are short of skills for a K-3, that may not be the case anymore with a K-1.

You buy me a K-1 biz-engineer and I will test your theory on skill levels.
02-29-2016, 04:21 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Provided the high ISO performance is up to scratch, I will buy a K1- my target is towards the end of the year - we have Black Friday deals here in the UK now so this might be a good time to get one. I have a lot of FF glass and envisage using mostly fast primes with the K1, although I have a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 to use as a walkaround. I will keep my K3 (can share batteries!!) and APS-C lenses
02-29-2016, 04:22 AM   #40
Pentaxian

You buy me a K-1 biz-engineer and I will test your theory on skill levels.
Ah yes, it's about money, not skills then. My theory is easy: simply imagine the world most skilled photographers, they should be content with Point&Shots camera, but they don't do that, they use cameras up to the largest possible format, so if larger formats require more skills to get the same results, then the reason why they still buy more expensive cameras must be that they need to burn the overflow of money that they earn. I bet if you take a 645z set in green mode, you'll get better results than a k-3 in green mode.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-29-2016 at 04:32 AM.
02-29-2016, 04:27 AM - 1 Like   #41
Closed Account

Ah yes, it's about money, not skills then.

Not at all. I can easily afford one of these beauties, but I think I know my capabilities a bit better than you.
02-29-2016, 04:37 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Not at all. I can easily afford one of these beauties, but I think I know my capabilities a bit better than you.
I understand.
02-29-2016, 04:49 AM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Right - so YOU get ME a K-1 (I could take advantage of the upgrade but can't afford it) and you can have it back when you're good enough! Sounds fair to me
02-29-2016, 04:51 AM   #44
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Right - so YOU get ME a K-1 (I could take advantage of the upgrade but can't afford it) and you can have it back when you're good enough! Sounds fair to me
So many scammers on this thread! ☺
02-29-2016, 05:23 AM   #45

Gah, I just don't know. I never intended to get a FF, as long as I assumed the price would be upwards of 3000€! For the expected price after maybe waiting till the end of the year, I am not so sure anymore.

Of course I don't *need* the camera, but in recent months I took a few shoots with my good old K-5 where I wondered if a higher resolution and less noise would have made a difference.

The problem is, these were wildlife photos done with the DA*300 or macros with the DFA 100. So if I switch to the K-1 I gain ISO not resolution in practice, unless I invest in expensive and heavier glass. Switching to the K-3 I would gain resolution but would not reduce noise...

And then there is a certain nostalgia, I'm old enough to have started with 35mm film, so the FF would be closer to the way I used to work then. Also I suspect I'm being a bit irrational here

Last edited by mano; 02-29-2016 at 05:45 AM.