Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2016, 08:46 AM   #106
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
How does in a heartbeat sound?
I had been wrestling with a switch to the D810 for about a year, because essentially I have just outgrown aps-c. As a landscape photographer, I need every bit of dynamic range and color depth I can get. Having started to branch into serious wildlife shooting, I needed much better AF and cleaner iso in the 6400 range.

The K3 was enough of an upgrade on the K5iis that it bought Pentax another year of patience, but not enough of a fix that my patience had run out by late 2015. I decided the Pentax FF was going to be a paradigm shift for me, one way or the other. But at first, I was not very excited about the leaked specs, and had already started pricing my Nikon kit. I had worked out with my GF what lenses she wanted to keep for her K3 and the rest were going to be on the Marketplace.

2016 started and I was still not excited about the low fps (I wanted 6-7 in RAW). By late January I was concerned about "only" 33 AF points, but started an internal debate about the new algorithms, based on a thread I found here that talked about allowing AF points to now operate independently. That kept me from ruling out the K1. Then I was disappointed native low iso was not 50/64.

BUT I hadn't heard any confirmation on the K1 sensor, which was really the crux of my needs. I knew it would probably be tweaked in the unique way only Pentax can do things. Given Pentax has always been oriented toward landscape shooters, I was hoping the K-1 would match or outperform the D810 in that area, and that would probably be enough with an already heavy investment in FF glass. So the day I read the WPPI report here on the forums, where it was confirmed the K1 indeed had the D810 sensor, I placed my order.

My K3 will either become my GF's backup, or it will end up on the Marketplace in May. For me, there's enough of difference in aps-c results v. FF, that any back-up camera would also have to be FF. This is the last 2 months of aps-c shooting I'll probably ever do.

Last edited by nomadkng; 03-29-2016 at 08:56 AM.
04-03-2016, 12:51 AM   #107
Site Supporter

The big question in the long run is how long Pentax can support cameras and lenses for both APSC and FF systems. Currently Pentax needs a lot more FF glass, but these lenses are oversized for APS-C. At the same time APS-C glass is not getting better over time. Upgrade wise it is a long way from APS-C to FF. A new concept by Pentax is needed in 2-3 years. I would expect one new generation of APS-C cameras and then maybe a mirrorless system, ...
04-03-2016, 01:04 AM   #108
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
The big question in the long run is how long Pentax can support cameras and lenses for both APSC and FF systems.
?

Canon, Nikon and Sony do this.

Their APS-C sales probably dwarf FF.
04-03-2016, 03:42 AM   #109
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FUD is alive and well, it seems. Thanks for taking the hit and sharing that one, Clackers; It's nice to see that the people who populate my ignore list do not do so without reason.

04-03-2016, 03:47 AM   #110
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sumitkar1971 Quote
There are a lot of Pentaxians who have a large collection of legacy full frame glass who are going to jump all over this extremely competitive offering
That'll be me then... I've already pre ordered too.
04-03-2016, 03:49 AM   #111
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
So the day I read the WPPI report here on the forums, where it was confirmed the K1 indeed had the D810 sensor, I placed my order.
What, is that confirmed? I seriously doubt it.
04-03-2016, 06:04 AM   #112
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
It will be interesting to see what Canon and/or Nikon full frame users, think of the K1, once they have tried them out.
It will be interesting, though there seem to be plenty of Nikon and Canon full-frame users who have lots to say about it without having used it...

Mine's ordered...

-Eric
04-03-2016, 06:31 AM   #113
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
What, is that confirmed? I seriously doubt it.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/316161-details-sensor-k-1-...ns-photos.html

the is the forum link. same sensor as 800e which is the same sensor as the 810, firmware tweaks not withstanding.

04-03-2016, 06:53 AM   #114
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
The big question in the long run is how long Pentax can support cameras and lenses for both APSC and FF systems. Currently Pentax needs a lot more FF glass, but these lenses are oversized for APS-C. At the same time APS-C glass is not getting better over time. Upgrade wise it is a long way from APS-C to FF. A new concept by Pentax is needed in 2-3 years. I would expect one new generation of APS-C cameras and then maybe a mirrorless system, ...
I've rarely seen a post that so clearly says. "I know nothing about Pentax."
04-03-2016, 09:08 AM   #115
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I've rarely seen a post that so clearly says. "I know nothing about Pentax."
Fixed that for you.

His thinking is the sort of thinking that occurs when the equipment has become an end in itself rather than a means, and all thought of specific purpose has been lost. There is nothing of the photographer remaining; there is only an image capture system on a tripod, with the voice of a possessed Sigourney Weaver growling, "THERE IS NO IMAGE, ONLY GEAR."
04-03-2016, 09:37 AM   #116
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/316161-details-sensor-k-1-...ns-photos.html

the is the forum link. same sensor as 800e which is the same sensor as the 810, firmware tweaks not withstanding.
The link says it's the same sensor as in D800 as far as I can tell. That is also a good sensor, but it's not the same as in D810.
04-03-2016, 09:46 AM   #117
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
The link says it's the same sensor as in D800 as far as I can tell. That is also a good sensor, but it's not the same as in D810.
When this subject was hashed over a couple weeks ago the majority supposition is they used the D800 sensor and claim to have altered some surface-mount peripherals and contacts to obtain their preferred signal from the sensor. We'll never know for sure until Roger Cicala or someone else tears down a body.

At $1,799, that's good enough for me.
04-04-2016, 07:40 PM   #118

Well Mine is pre-ordered complete with 24-70mm F2.8 and the grip. The K3 will remain as my go-to travel camera and also for when I shoot sport or airshows etc. The big selling points of the K1 for me are:

1. I shoot in a very small (12x10ft) studio. Full frame will enable me to shoot full length model pics without resorting to wide angle lenses
2. Better and bigger viewfinder image will improve my photography and assist me in noticing fine details when shooting portraiture
3. Maximum quality for printing wall art
4. Better low light performance when shooting gigs or indoors in low/natural light.
5. Ability to shoot lenses at their originally designed focal length/perspective
6. K1 is a darned sexy camera at an amazing price!

So it's a no brainer for me despite the cost. I've never spent anywhere near this much on a camera before - ME Super/50mm F1.7 (112), MZ-5N and Sigma 24-70mm (about 400), Ist DS and 18-55 450 ish), K5 and 18-55 (499), K3 18-55 WR (729). Darned nearly 3000 for the body, grip and pro zoom is a very serious investment in my photography but will I hope help me take things to a higher level. It won't make me a better photographer but it will ensure that with what talent I have the gear doesn't let me down and I think that's worth paying for.

Jonlg
04-05-2016, 02:49 AM   #119
Veteran Member

No immediate plans to upgrade, but if the k-1 hits my price point (new or used) before a k-2 with similar tech and layout is released, I might bite on it.

Honestly, I'd prefer a APS-C k-3ii (k-2, perhaps) replacement with the k-1 features. Not that I have anything against full frame, but I prefer a more compact body and lens system.

Also, while I shoot almost no video, it is something that intrigues me. The k-1 is a stills camera first and foremost.

The only thing I do worry about is ricoh abandoning the DA lens lineup. (not literally, but shifting enough focus on the FA lineup that DA becomes an afterthought). I'd like to see them refresh lenses like the 16-50 (updated motor, HD coating, and perhaps tweaking the wide end) and 12-24 (WR and HD coating).
04-05-2016, 11:09 AM   #120
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mountain Vision Quote
and 12-24 (WR and HD coating).
There is still a DA UWA zoom on the lens map. Looks like about 12-28ish.
QuoteOriginally posted by Mountain Vision Quote
refresh lenses like the 16-50 (updated motor, HD coating, and perhaps tweaking the wide end)
+1. All of the DA* lenses need a refresh over the next few years but I suspect it will be 2017 - 2018 before they get to them.