Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2016, 08:27 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm with you Stillshot2,when the price is affordable to me(maybe a year or could be 4/5).My ratio of FF lenses to APSc is probably 8/10 to one but the K1 isn't the perfect camera for what I do....it will fill a niche though eventually.300thou accusations is a big factor in holding off for a great cam at a fraction of launch price.

02-28-2016, 08:31 PM   #17

I love my GR, but I have two Pelican cases full of ff glass that need a home. I passed my k7 and two kit lenses on to my son a few months back. BUT, even if all my glass was apsc, I would buy the K1. At 15mp crop (easily sufficient for 24" prints) and 1800$ not to mention all the other fantastic tech, I would never consider buying another crop body.Btw...I am so enamored with the GR that I am happy to wait months for any and all k1 bugs to get worked out before I purchase.
02-28-2016, 08:36 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really it's no different than when a new apc body comes out. You review the new features and balance the pro and cons. You'll either upgrade or wait till a new body comes out that justifies an upgrade. Before getting my Samsung S6 I had a S3. Don't upgrade for the sake of upgrading
02-28-2016, 08:37 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There *will* be plenty. Expect a DA lens bonanza in the marketplace in a month or two. I expect some of mine will be there

02-28-2016, 08:37 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sumitkar1971 Quote
I know that the Pentax K1 is going to be a monster camera and looking at the specs a huge success. There are a lot of Pentaxians who have a large collection of legacy full frame glass who are going to jump all over this extremely competitive offering. However for some of us who have a complete set up of APSC lenses and not many full frame lenses this is going to be much tougher. I have a K-3 2 and a K-3 with - Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, DA*55 mm f/1.4, DA*50-135mm f/2.8,DA limited 15mm f/4, DA*60-250 f/4 and the DFA 100mm f/2.8 macro. I know that there are a couple of full frame compatible lenses there and the K-1 will support a crop mode but thats a lot of quality glass and range that I'm not sure I want to give up to migrate to the full frame platform. Of course there is always gear envy but I think I'm going to enjoy the wonderful APSC Pentax platform for a while longer
I'm already on FF, but will get the K-1
for my 12 yr. old daughter that is
02-28-2016, 08:39 PM   #21
Veteran Member

How many APSC shooters will truly upgrade to K1
At this point I simply have no compelling reason to - (maybe when the wheels fall off my K5.) My lens collections is similar to yours and what I can get out of them on a K5 is more than what I need/want for the type of photography I do – (Landscapes, Sports, Documentary and experimenting with Portraiture). I'm not a pro but a “serious enthusiast”. Yes, I know what I'm missing and it's quite an upgrade to the K5's, especially AF, but I actually skipped the K3's.
02-28-2016, 08:42 PM   #22

I'm getting it eventually. I still haven't found anything I can't do with my k5, but I would love to have better autofocus, and bigger files which the k1 will provide. I know the k3 will do this for me too, but I rather go full frame because of all my manual lenses

02-28-2016, 08:51 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok, firstly I will admit that I don't actually need the K-1. My K-5 and lenses are probably all I really need.
That out of the way, I really want a K-1 and expect to purchase one once the price comes down a bit. It won't directly make me a better photographer but having a very shiny new toy would lead to more camera time + experimentation which will indirectly improve my photographic skills.
02-28-2016, 08:53 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

According to the author of this poll, about 60% https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/273288-poll-gauge-h...ff-pentax.html
02-28-2016, 09:09 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm still learning about photography, and my K-5. I'm sticking with APS-C, and watching for deals on lenses for now.
02-28-2016, 09:30 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Three things I need to see.

Iso and noise. I suspect it will be worth it.
Better AF. We shall see. It isn't the focus point count that matters, in fact they are slightly denser than the K3. It is whether it can capture things quickly enough. The K3 just isn't quick enough to focus between shots in afc mode.
Does the frame rate drop substantially in afc mode? The crop mode is fast enough, and ff mode is workable as long as it doesn't get bog slow when focussing.

So I don't know yet. Right now I am noise and af constrained. The loss of resolution would be more than made up with two stops better noise characteristics.
02-28-2016, 10:25 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm with wibbly on this. I may buy it if a) there are no problems like the sensor problems with the K-5; and b) if IQ, high ISO, AF and the like are better than my K-3. Right now I'm looking at maybe Christmas 2016 before I make up my mind. If I'm lucky and if I decided to buy it then it's possible there will be a decent discount by then.

NaCl(wait and see)H2O
02-28-2016, 11:21 PM   #28
Pentaxian

How many APSC shooters will truly upgrade to K1
A lot of people will upgrade after so many year of full frame starvation. Just to get the full frame field of view, bokeh rendering, and extra resolution. Pentax did the limited primes to deliver high resolution images on apsc sensor, but roughly, with a full frame sensor, all of your apsc lenses will be outperformed. Historically, the sequence was: istD (6Mp) -> K10 (10Mp) -> K20 (14Mp) -> K5(16Mp) -> K5IIs -> K3(24Mp)... then K1 (36Mp). The improvement of IQ from the K-5IIs to the K3 was marginal, so it was time to use a larger sensor so that to provide an ever increasing level of image quality to customers. Image quality is a relative thing , and continuously improving.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-28-2016 at 11:30 PM.
02-29-2016, 12:46 AM   #29

Hadn't given it much thought really, but I suspect I'll be sticking to my k3 for a bit
02-29-2016, 01:27 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't see the benefits of a K-1 for a shooter like me. My K-3II does the bulk of what the K-1 will including pixel shift. All things are trade-offs, I'm happy to trade off sensor size for smaller/lighter and greater reach at the tele end.

Someone above mentioned pixel shift with moving subjects, which is not what the Ricoh website says. If it's an upgraded PS that automatically deals with e.g. rustling leaves or water movement by inserting those areas from one of the four sequential shots then that's a good step that hopefully will be introduced into the K-3II via firmware upgrade, something that it has not yet had. It will mean that I don't have to do it manually like I do at the moment.