Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2016, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I will for sure.. FF will bring me better ISO, bigger files to crop / print, usb tethering, gps, tilt screen, pixel shift.. all that will help me to do the job, is not that it cant be done now with K3.. but K1 will make it better/easier

03-08-2016, 01:46 PM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting read: The Online Photographer: When Will Micro 4/3 Equal Medium-Format Film? We Have the Definitive Answer

A photographer/printer (named Ctein) who I think used to be a regular contributor to TOP and shot medium format with a Pentax 6x7 for 35 years, says 4/3 has surpassed the medium format film image quality... 6 years ago - based on the quality of the large prints. I guess that's about the time the Olympus E-5 came out. Which has a sensor that performs 20% worse than... my K20D (according to dxo)... and 30% worse than my K-r. Obviously lenses are important too - and I don't think Pentax lenses are worse than Zuikos, with the possible exception of the basic 18-55 Pentax vs the 14-42 Oly, which is a pretty good lens (as is the 18-55 in its sweet spots). Everywhere else in the map, Pentax has great lenses, but Zuiko has some fine ones too.

Knowing this, do I still want a K-1? You betcha One day, I'd like to think in two years, I'll have one. And I'll use my nifty 50s all the time. It will be a beautiful thing, at least that's what my CBA tells me But I've certainly got much room to improve even with the equipment I currently have, that's for sure. And most of us would say the same if we are honest
03-08-2016, 01:57 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I will probably stick with APS-C for now. Not that the K-1 doesn't allure, but there are too many boxes that only APS-C ticks. And I'm not prepared to lug around two camera's...

However, I reserve my right to change my opinion. :-D

Wim
03-09-2016, 01:25 PM   #79
Pentaxian

I'm far more interested in lenses than cameras, and since all my favorite lenses for landscape photography are APS-C, I won't be buying a K-1 any time soon.

The K-1 looks like a great camera, perfect for landscape photography, but the DFA lens line-up, with its trio of f2.8 zooms and its promised trio of f1.4 primes, is definitely geared toward event photographers and narrow DOF junkies. It's terrific that Ricoh is filling that fast lens/FF hole in the lineup, but those sort of lenses are just not my cup of tea. If Ricoh ever decides to introduce a DFA* 24-105 f4 zoom (along with an f4 wide angle zoom with filter rings), I may give the emerging Pentax FF system another serious look. Until then I'm sticking with APS-C.

03-09-2016, 01:51 PM   #80
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
I'm far more interested in lenses than cameras, and since all my favorite lenses for landscape photography are APS-C, I won't be buying a K-1 any time soon.

The K-1 looks like a great camera, perfect for landscape photography, but the DFA lens line-up, with its trio of f2.8 zooms and its promised trio of f1.4 primes, is definitely geared toward event photographers and narrow DOF junkies. It's terrific that Ricoh is filling that fast lens/FF hole in the lineup, but those sort of lenses are just not my cup of tea. If Ricoh ever decides to introduce a DFA* 24-105 f4 zoom (along with an f4 wide angle zoom with filter rings), I may give the emerging Pentax FF system another serious look. Until then I'm sticking with APS-C.
Me! @northcoastgreg I hear you on the lenses though. It's a pretty steep investment. I did pony up for the 24-70, which was a gap in my lineup anyway. I am hoping that the 12-24 is usable @18 or so on the K-1. Remains to be seen. The 15-30 looks very nice but that's a big chunk of change and I like to use filters pretty regularly and not keen on buying a whole new set to fit that beast. I'm also hoping the 60-250 is workable if stopped down.
03-09-2016, 01:55 PM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I ordered it the day it was announced. Hopefully I will have it in 4 - 6 weeks or so.

Do I 'need' a 35mm camera? Nope, probably not. Do I 'want' one? You betcha.

I always figured the mythical Pentax ff would set me back around $3000au, so I have saved my sheckles and kept aside the money for some things I have sold recently (some guitars and things) and had the pleasant surprise of the camera being sold at slightly lesss than I had anticipated. The cash is sitting in my hobby account waiting to be handed over.

I even updated my sig line in anticipation.
03-09-2016, 03:57 PM   #82
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I will buy a K-1 probably this summer. It won't necessarily be an upgrade, more of a complement, as I will still use the K3 for telephoto work.

03-09-2016, 04:12 PM   #83
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carolina_sky Quote
Me! @northcoastgreg I hear you on the lenses though. It's a pretty steep investment. I did pony up for the 24-70, which was a gap in my lineup anyway. I am hoping that the 12-24 is usable @18 or so on the K-1. Remains to be seen. The 15-30 looks very nice but that's a big chunk of change and I like to use filters pretty regularly and not keen on buying a whole new set to fit that beast. I'm also hoping the 60-250 is workable if stopped down.

I'm thinking 24-70mm on crop would be rather ideal for event photography. 28-105 even better... too bad it isn't f/4 throughout the FL range.

Anywho, I'm in the wait a year crowd. I'd have to sell camera body and several lenses, plus make an additional 1k payment to just get the K-1 and a 24-70mm - ouch.

So I'll wait, let the K-1 firmware mature, any hardware kinks get worked out, and let the price lower a bit.. before reconsidering.

Plus, there are rumors of the K-3II successor potentially being released at the end of the year. So if most of the hardware (sans sensor) changes end up in it.. it might also be an interesting choice.. since I already own all the crop lenses I need...
03-09-2016, 06:21 PM   #84
Pentaxian

The K-1 didn't have any of the wishlist features which would have made it a buy-it-now proposition for me, but all good things must come to an end, including my faithful K-5. When that happens, the K-1 will be the automatic successor. I might consider getting it a bit earlier if I can have ten minutes in a store with one to play around and take some shots with. But that won't be for a while yet.
03-09-2016, 07:13 PM   #85
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
The K-1 didn't have any of the wishlist features which would have made it a buy-it-now proposition for me, but all good things must come to an end, including my faithful K-5. When that happens, the K-1 will be the automatic successor. I might consider getting it a bit earlier if I can have ten minutes in a store with one to play around and take some shots with. But that won't be for a while yet.
As my sig says, it has ALL my Must-Have-List features.

But I have a use case. K lenses (and I'll get one of the new zooms).
03-09-2016, 08:46 PM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

eventually I will go for the K-1 but I think I would want to have an APSC too
03-10-2016, 12:57 AM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sumitkar1971 Quote
How many APSC shooters will truly upgrade to K1
I might get one in a few years when I can pick one up used for $600-700 just to see what I can do with it.
Right now I'm keeping my eye on 1" sensor developments - small is beautiful.
03-10-2016, 09:16 AM   #88

I thought images were already great on a k3 so what will this k1 do that would benefit a hobbyist like me? I don't know much about these things but I am noticing lots of topics about the k1 these days...it seems like so much to keep up with I guess for now I'll just use what I got since I still have lots to learn.
03-10-2016, 09:28 AM   #89
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by danidan Quote
I guess for now I'll just use what I got since I still have lots to learn.
Good strategy. Use the money for workshops, a shooting holiday or better lenses. ☺
03-10-2016, 11:56 AM   #90
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by danidan Quote
I thought images were already great on a k3 so what will this k1 do that would benefit a hobbyist like me?
I asked myself the same question. There were things I wanted it to do before the specs were confirmed, and now that I know it doesn't do them the answer is "It will replace my K-5 when it dies."

However, judging by the early (pre-production) reviews, it is turning out to be one hell of a camera and at a very good price for what it is (MUCH lower than expected); so depending on the experience of the early adopters, the answer MAY become "It will supplant my K-5 sometime in the next twelve to twenty-four months". But we shall see how things go.