Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2016, 07:41 PM   #1

How many APSC shooters will truly upgrade to K1

I know that the Pentax K1 is going to be a monster camera and looking at the specs a huge success. There are a lot of Pentaxians who have a large collection of legacy full frame glass who are going to jump all over this extremely competitive offering. However for some of us who have a complete set up of APSC lenses and not many full frame lenses this is going to be much tougher. I have a K-3 2 and a K-3 with - Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, DA*55 mm f/1.4, DA*50-135mm f/2.8,DA limited 15mm f/4, DA*60-250 f/4 and the DFA 100mm f/2.8 macro. I know that there are a couple of full frame compatible lenses there and the K-1 will support a crop mode but thats a lot of quality glass and range that I'm not sure I want to give up to migrate to the full frame platform. Of course there is always gear envy but I think I'm going to enjoy the wonderful APSC Pentax platform for a while longer

02-28-2016, 07:58 PM   #2

As soon as the money come, i'll make the switch
02-28-2016, 08:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Maybe tomorrow i make my preorder
02-28-2016, 08:02 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you have a compelling need that is not being answered by the K3 and K3II? If one can not articulate the need, maybe one does not really need to upgrade.

I too have the K3II, but will be purchasing the K1 because I have a large format printer and the reason I take photos is to print them up large and sell them. The K1's more pixels, and pixel shift capability with moving subjects will help me to make better quality prints which hopefully will help my print sales.

02-28-2016, 08:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I wonder if people are going to start selling their APS-C lenses to the benefit of those who want to stick to the crop sensor...
02-28-2016, 08:08 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

not a chance right away. I'm going to give it time to be debugged.

I feel it's foolish to buy in hook line and sinker on a brand new unproven product
02-28-2016, 08:08 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
APS-C happens to be the best set of compromises for my shooting style. So sticking with the K-3.

02-28-2016, 08:11 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

There should be plenty

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-28-2016, 08:12 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

I'll upgrade when I can afford to. I'll still be keeping the K3 as any glass I have or will get in the future will still work on it. The K3 also has faster fps and the crop factor will be great for the extra reach. Why upgrade then? I use the GPS astrotracer and the idea of not forgetting one extra piece that requires a different type of battery is great. Also the wireless trigger I use sits on the hot shoe which means I can't use GPS or astro tracer as easily when using the trigger. Freeing up the hot shoe is an added bonus.

The telescope is often in odd positions when doing some images and the articulating screen is another added bonus. I've wanted one for certain aspects for macro ect. Also looking forward to getting the wider field with certain lenses for milk way shots.

All that said again I'll be keeping the k3. There is no camera or lens that does every thing.
02-28-2016, 08:12 PM - 1 Like   #10
Imp
Pentaxian

Well, I don't have the money nor the desire. If the next K-3 has good video, I will jump on it. Otherwise... I'll wait with my K-30 until I get some better video - otherwise, no incentive to upgrade my perfectly fine body. I will be upgrading my lenses first... and if Pentax doesn't get around to video... well, maybe that A6300 with an adapter for my M and A glass. And then eventually a K-3 successor to replace my pentax in some 4 years.
Jeez, is some decent compression and bitrate that hard to offer? Just buy RED already and figure it out Ricoh
02-28-2016, 08:16 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Who says you have to switch? Most of my lenses already cover a 35mm image so I can use them on both formats. I will own a K-1 along with my K30. It's not a matter of if, but when.
02-28-2016, 08:16 PM - 2 Likes   #12

I would but my main cams are mirrorless. I only use the dslr for sports pretty much and am set with numerous Pentax dslr's. DSLR's are too big for stealth use. Yes I can use em but why make it hard on myself? If I was a average photog looking for a FF dlsr I'd be all over the FF Pentax. This does not say I'd never buy one. When my K3's die I will upgrade but I suspect mine will last for the rest of my life.

This pix (candid) would be hard to take with a dslr. I used a Fuji E-X1.

https://danielteolijr.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/lost-princess-copyright-20...r-mr.jpg?w=767

The hard part is carrying the dslr on your wrist all day and night. The other part is shooting kids. Nowadays your sexual predictor if your a male shooting stranger kinds. I need stealth!

I used a Nikon D610 for this candid...

https://danielteolijr.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/the-americans-60-years-aft...eoli-jr-mr.jpg

It was hard to do. I hated using the Nikon, very bulky compared to the Leica or Fuji. Hard to adjust. I can adjust the Leica and Fuji to a lesser dergee without even looking at them. But, I am highly skilled at candid work and still got 'Pinky' done with the dlsr. I would have rather have used a Leica, but I was traveling and had no place safe to keep the Leica gear so I used cheap Nikon gear.

The other prob with the Pentax as with almost all dslr's is the program dial. I hate em. I like a shutter speed dial. The cams they make nowadays are dummied down with no aperture ring or shutter dial. The AF is terrible in dim light. I prefer manual control for the type of work I do.

I could never get candid shots like this with auto equipment and big dlsr's.

https://danielteolijr.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/39-de-wallen-copyright-201...pg?w=803&h=554

What I wish for is some camera co to make an affordable Leica rangefinder knockoff and a manual M4/3. I love the M4/3, but the terrible controls ruin it for fast candid work. By the time I could get the M4/3 adjusted this shot would be gone. (Actually I can't figure out how to even adjust the M4/3.)

https://danielteolijr.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/cropped-bikers-mardi-gras-...eoli-jr-lr.jpg

Last edited by Ilovemypentax; 02-28-2016 at 08:43 PM.
02-28-2016, 08:17 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Yes, if fast premium zooms are your desire and you already have a set of APS-C only models I can see how the K-1 would be an even bigger financial impact.

However that's not a unique "problem" to the Pentax system, obviously.

I guess you could say that I have an aversion to large lenses--I just can't really bring myself to lust after, say, the Otus line. I can't afford them anyway but even if I could, that's just not my style. My biggest lens is a DA 55-300 for the rare cases I want a long zoom, and it will remain my tele zoom even after I get the K-1.

Anyway, I do feel your pain--I'm just glad I can simply transfer my 3 FA Limiteds+100 Macro over to the K-1 and keep shooting!
02-28-2016, 08:23 PM - 2 Likes   #14

Saving all my money now!!!...I will still keep and use my K5lls...superb camera all around!
02-28-2016, 08:27 PM - 1 Like   #15
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Already preordered. The K1 and K3 will perfectly compliment each other until a more capable APSC camera comes along.