Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2016, 04:50 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Equipment stolen. Need help for buying new.

Hello everybody,

unfortunately my camera bag got stolen with all my equipment in it. This happened in Brussels. It was a Pentax K-5 with 18-55 WR kit lens, DA* 50-135 f/2.8 and a Takumar 70-210 f/4-5.6. There were also 3 spare batteries with charger and 4 Sandisk Extreme Pro 8GB memory cards. All that in a Vanguard Up-Rise 33 bag.

Now I need to buy everything from scratch. I found already the same 70-210 Takumar lens for a good price. For the body I have two options and that is where I need some opinions.

I can either buy a brand new Pentax K-50 with the 18-55 lens for 330 euros or a used Pentax K-5 with 15000 actuations and the 18-55 WR kit lens for 290 euros.

The advantage of the new K-50 is that since it's new I have the 2 years warranty and since it's a newer camera perhaps better image processing and AF ? The advantage of the K-5 is that I know that camera inside out, but the big problem has always been AF tracking since I do shoot figure skating. Oh, and the K-50 is white

Any input is most welcome. I need to take a decision by tomorrow since the seller of the K-5 keeps it for me till then.

Thanks a lot.

02-29-2016, 06:34 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by BNBPhoto Quote
Hello everybody,

unfortunately my camera bag got stolen with all my equipment in it. This happened in Brussels. It was a Pentax K-5 with 18-55 WR kit lens, DA* 50-135 f/2.8 and a Takumar 70-210 f/4-5.6. There were also 3 spare batteries with charger and 4 Sandisk Extreme Pro 8GB memory cards. All that in a Vanguard Up-Rise 33 bag.

Now I need to buy everything from scratch. I found already the same 70-210 Takumar lens for a good price. For the body I have two options and that is where I need some opinions.

I can either buy a brand new Pentax K-50 with the 18-55 lens for 330 euros or a used Pentax K-5 with 15000 actuations and the 18-55 WR kit lens for 290 euros.

The advantage of the new K-50 is that since it's new I have the 2 years warranty and since it's a newer camera perhaps better image processing and AF ? The advantage of the K-5 is that I know that camera inside out, but the big problem has always been AF tracking since I do shoot figure skating. Oh, and the K-50 is white

Any input is most welcome. I need to take a decision by tomorrow since the seller of the K-5 keeps it for me till then.

Thanks a lot.
Sorry you lost your gear

I'd go with the K-5. The 15,000 shutter actuations don't bother me but I would carefully examine the camera up close before purchasing, if possible.
02-29-2016, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

For me the top LCD panel on the flagship models is important. Outdoors I can't see the info in the viewfinder very well, particularly if I'm wearing sunglasses. I rely on that panel for my settings confirmations. You may shoot differently, though.
02-29-2016, 06:46 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I assume you have no Home Owners replacement Insurance? I did and the Last Photoshop on Earth here in town(That a Lot on This Forum diss) did a magnifcent job of replacement to the Insurance Co. on my behalf . He got the Business and I got the Latest in Pentax Technology. Look at my Signature. I went from a K200D and kit lenses to what I have now. The flashes except for the AF360 II and whats left of the Manual Glass was pre Existing the rest is what the Insurance Co Replaced incl. the Bridge & point & shoot cameras. I cant say enough of my local Photo Shop Owner and the Insurance Co. Try That with your Internet Sellers!

02-29-2016, 07:23 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
I assume you have no Home Owners replacement Insurance? I did and the Last Photoshop on Earth here in town(That a Lot on This Forum diss) did a magnifcent job of replacement to the Insurance Co. on my behalf . He got the Business and I got the Latest in Pentax Technology. Look at my Signature. I went from a K200D and kit lenses to what I have now. The flashes except for the AF360 II and whats left of the Manual Glass was pre Existing the rest is what the Insurance Co Replaced incl. the Bridge & point & shoot cameras. I cant say enough of my local Photo Shop Owner and the Insurance Co. Try That with your Internet Sellers!
No I don't have a home owner insurance. I live in Belgium and most of the insurances here are crooks. The two cameras I am buying are from shops. The K-50 is in a big shop, similar to Bestbuy in the US. So they provide official warranty etc... The K-5 is from a photography shop here, they provide a 6 month fail warranty, but they don't repair, they just refund.

So far I am mainly wondering if there is a performance increase in the K-50 since it is a newer camera. I have handled it in the shop and it seems sturdy and rather well built. Unfortunately I couldn't take any shots with it to analyse on my computer and compare them to my K-5 shots.

---------- Post added 02-29-16 at 03:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
For me the top LCD panel on the flagship models is important. Outdoors I can't see the info in the viewfinder very well, particularly if I'm wearing sunglasses. I rely on that panel for my settings confirmations. You may shoot differently, though.
I mostly rely on the info inside the VF.
02-29-2016, 07:51 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron_Man Quote
Sorry you lost your gear

I'd go with the K-5. The 15,000 shutter actuations don't bother me but I would carefully examine the camera up close before purchasing, if possible.
Also sympathise.

Like Ron-Man I would go for the K5. However, if you are able to spend a little more I would look out for a used K5ll or K5lls, depending on whether not you feel the need for an anti-aliasing filter. Both cameras are positive upgrades from the K5, retaining all the K5's good points as well as having better AF.

If you do go for the K5 (or other used Pentax) check it out carefully. Even cameras with few shutter actuations may have suffered mis-treatment, accidental or otherwise, just like low kilometers second hand cars. Also examine the sensor as a few early models had embedded oil in it, and the sensor had to be replaced. Let the buyer beware, just in case the camera of your choice in came from that rarest of owners a maverick Pentax owner.

Best of luck!
02-29-2016, 09:34 AM   #7
Site Supporter

There is supposed to be a little AF performance improvement on the K-50 over the K-5, is it really measurable? The biggest improvement is focus peaking, but that will not help you with skating photos. When I replaced a K20D with a K-30 I thought I would miss the top LCD, but I don't miss it at all. Both the K-5 and K-50 have the same sensor, but the K-5 has 14 bits compared to 12 for the K-50. I would print out the features of the K-5 and check off which ones you actually use, then compare the K-50 specs, see if anything major is missing, I would also be wary about a used camera unless I had a written return warranty in case of a hidden problems. That's really a shame about insurance.
02-29-2016, 09:54 AM   #8

Sorry to hear about your gear. Here's my two cents worth...

From what I understand, the K-50 may (a least on paper) be "better" than the K-5 in a few ways. It is said to have improved auto focus in low light, it has improved video (more frames per second options at 1080p), focus peaking for help using manual focus lenses, and potentially better jpeg output.

I don't know first hand if these actually translate into major improvements over the K-5. I have used a K-30 (almost identical specs to the k-50) for several years and also used a K-7 (same body as K-5) for a year or so. I also have a friend that uses a K-5, and I've spent a lot of time out shooting with him. Based on my use of -essentially the same bodies - I would not hesitate to trade the K-30 for a K-5, for the following reasons:

The K-5 has:
Top lcd
Higher frames per second (not by much...7 vs 6)
Better build quality (though the K-50 is still quite solid)
HDMI output
External microphone jack
Battery grip
14 bit RAW vs 12 bit on K-50
Better battery life (although you can use AA's on the K-50, which can be nice)

And possibly the most important difference (in my mind) the K-5 is noticeably quieter when taking photos. If you shoot wildlife, weddings, or anything that requires "stealth", the K-50 can be a bit distracting in these environments compared to the K-5.

Here is an older thread I found asking for advice choosing between the K-5 and K-30. The K-30 and K-50 are so similar, I believe it may be helpful to you.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/186886-k5-vs-k30.html

They're both great cameras. Good Luck!

Edit: I forgot to mention faster maximum shutter speed on K-5 (1/8000 vs 1/6000 on K-50).

Last edited by jaremart; 02-29-2016 at 01:28 PM.
02-29-2016, 11:34 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If possible hold off for a used K5IIs. I have both the K30, K50 and K5IIs and the K5IIs IQ is way ahead. I feel white balance of K5 series is so much better than K30,K50. My $.02.
02-29-2016, 12:50 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BNBPhoto Quote
unfortunately my camera bag got stolen with all my equipment in it. This happened in Brussels.
Ah, that is really too bad. I assume you are taking all the steps to report the theft, report the serial numbers (there are websites where you can even search for stolen photo gear, in case anyone uploads photos with your camera's serial number or anyone tries to sell your gear online).

K-50 vs. K-5: The K-5 is probably the better camera, but it is older. So decide how much warranty, newness means to you. I would also advise you ignore the 18-55mm lens, unless you get it for the WR specifically (since this is the most affordable WR lens and it has a comfortable zoom range). You can buy a Tamron 17-50mm for a good price, and it will have faster aperture and better image quality. Or a used DA 35mm and DA 50mm - you can get both of those for a really low price these days.
The K-5 shutter is rated to 100,000, so that one sounds good. Just make sure the camera is not damaged or anything. Great if you can hold it in hands, check its battery, maybe even turn it on and snap a photo or two.

Here is a quick overview of the differences:
Pentax K-5 vs. Pentax K-50 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

But I think there are even some threads about this same question, with good answers. But from some years ago, back when K-50 was just released. I think the main difference is that the K-50 has different video mode (with digital SR instead of mechanical, mono instead of stereo) and it has focus peaking (can be great for Manual focus lenses in live view). The K-5 has better ISO (ISO 80), better WR (more seals, if I remember right). Oh, and K-5 might have the better battery?

So I would recommend the K-5, but maybe without the 18-55mm; since you are not a beginner, you might appreciate a higher quality lens. When you get the camera, test its AF and flash, bracketing, live view to make sure it all works as it should. And don't forget to update the camera's firmware.
02-29-2016, 01:41 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

You have my sympathies. I would be profoundly upset in your position. For what it's worth, the noticeable improvement in IQ when I switched from a K 5 to the K 5 II s made the step worthwhile (and the K 5 was already superb).
02-29-2016, 02:07 PM   #12
Pentaxian

You need to purchase a similar camera or you will be disappointed.

My suggestion?
K-5ii or K-5iis (350-450 USD)

Then lens based off needs
18-135 WR (better than 18-55) *OR* 16-85 WR (better than 18-135 in some user opinions) *OR* Sigma/Tamron 17-50 2.8
50-135
03-04-2016, 09:19 AM   #13

Original Poster
First of all thanks everybody for your heart warming support messages and advice.

I finally settled for the K-50 and am not disappointed with my choice. I went with the K-50 for several reasons. The first one being Eye-Fi support. Since I do a bit of studio shooting, to be able to tether wireless to my tablet is just godsend. After a few tests I also realized that the AF in low light is more nervous then the K-5. The third argument in favour of the K-50 was weight. As I do carry my DSLR a lot with me the 100 grams difference plays out a lot.

By the way, the K-50 shutter is rated at 100 000 actuations as well. Also the K-5 didn't have 15000 actuations but 78000. I checked with the shop where they sell it. I have also bought the F 70-210 with it and until next month they are keeping a Sigma 120-400 aside for me.

So all in all I am very happy and my wife likes a lot the white colour of he camera, on which I have been complimented on several occasions too.

Thanks again.
03-04-2016, 07:17 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Congratulations on your new camera! I can feel your pain, my K-5IIs and 18-135 were stolen several months ago...