Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2016, 09:27 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just guessing...but no matter what brand it is, I am betting that all users have some complaint about their camera where they think another brand does better. They are probably right about that and it isn't likely to change unless everyone makes the same identical "generic" camera.

I try to be happy with the camera I have and with Pentax I have been mostly well pleased. Another brand might solve one problem and give me three new ones.......not a good trade to make.

The complaint I hear the most about Pentax concerns AF. From the Canon and Nikon shooters I know, it is more about the lack of SR and build quality compared to Pentax. I can live with the AF for my needs, but SR is a must have. If the new K1 truly delivers 5 stops from its SR system.......count me in!

Regards!

03-04-2016, 11:54 AM   #47
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for all the contributions. Always good to have so many perspectives. Guess I'll hold on for some months. And see if pentax can deliver the support. That's my major concern. Because I don't use my gear very well. Put them to all sorts of conditions. Lol
03-06-2016, 08:45 AM   #48
Site Supporter

I have just come over to Pentax from M4/3. Prior to that I shot Nikon with a D2x and D200.
I went with M4/3 for weight and size advantages. I used it for a year and just could not deal with DOF issues with the M4/3 sensor size. That and the cameras were a bit to small. I did love the in body IS of the Olympus bodies though.
I chose Pentax because they have in body IS and the cameras are smaller but not to small. They have weather sealing and prices just can't be beat.
03-06-2016, 09:05 AM   #49

If you really want to feel out of of things try owning an an Apple computer as well. Not only can you not borrow lenses from friends but you also miss out some very good free software designed to run on Windows and no where else as well as creating AV files that take hours to convert to a Window's compatible standard.

03-06-2016, 07:34 PM   #50

Sarge- Welcome to Pentax! I haven't used Olympus since the film days, but they've had some great products over the years. I quite certain you can find similar satisfaction and enjoyment with Pentax's products, especially based on your appreciation for in-body stabilization.
03-06-2016, 08:56 PM   #51
Pentaxian

The grass is always greener on the other system.
03-07-2016, 04:27 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by iss2012 Quote
thanks for the advices but I said this because after the wedding I had the chance to try the 70d of a friend and I must admit that I was astonished by its focusing speed even in low light ! Compared to the k-30 it is simply day and night. I press the focus button and almost instantly and with zero hunting the focus is locked ! Wow that test really changed my vision on autofocus especially that I tested it in really bad lighting conditions. By the way, the mounted lens on the 70d was the 50mm 1.8.
Anyway, I never tried the k-3, it is for sure more effcient than the k-30 especially with its -3ev focusing. I really hope pentax catch up with the 70d on focusing, this would be the perfect dslr for me !
For some reason people talk about "auto focus" in a generic sense that doesn't break down areas. My experience is that AF-S with the K3 matches other brand's auto focus (depending on the lens used). On the other hand, tracking auto focus, while decent, isn't as good as a top end Nikon or Canon with similar lens. But it isn't unusual with those brands to fire away and then check photos after the fact to find that they are a little soft. Just because the AF system seems to lock on quickly does not indicate that it is really sharp.
03-07-2016, 01:37 PM   #53
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by One3rdEV Quote
Sarge- Welcome to Pentax! I haven't used Olympus since the film days, but they've had some great products over the years. I quite certain you can find similar satisfaction and enjoyment with Pentax's products, especially based on your appreciation for in-body stabilization.
That's funny, I have not used Pentax since the film days. I used a K1000 and an ME Super during High School. The Olympus stuff is nice but for me it was a bit to small and DOF with the M4/3 sensor size gave me fits.
I am very happy so far with my Pentax gear.

03-07-2016, 01:47 PM   #54
Pentaxian

The folks who have never seriously considered or tried Pentax are the ones who are "left out", AFAIAC.
03-09-2016, 12:58 AM - 1 Like   #55
Veteran Member

Buy for your own enjoyment. If following the crowd brings you that enjoyment then feel free to change.

Personally I like standing out from the crowd.

You have to feel comfortable with what you buy and use.

If you check our dxo and image sensor reviews of Canon sensors vs Sony manufactured sensors you will find out that Canon gave been behind the ball for at least the last five years. There are numerous other blog posts confirming this as well. Pentax happen to use Sony sensors.

Anyway, I am trying to demonstrate that following the crowd isn't always to your benefit.

The K3 is approx. equal to Nikon D7200 while a K1 between a Nikon D750 and D810. The K1 would also be approximately equal to a Canon 5D mk iii.

If you are into landscape, then the K1 with pixel shift will apparently rival medium format quality (refer to info from Diglloyd).

In other words, if you know what you are doing, then Pentax/Ricoh is more than sufficient for photography.

This is without mentioning the 645Z.

Howie Be
03-09-2016, 03:17 AM - 1 Like   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
Buy for your own enjoyment. If following the crowd brings you that enjoyment then feel free to change.

Personally I like standing out from the crowd.

You have to feel comfortable with what you buy and use.

If you check our dxo and image sensor reviews of Canon sensors vs Sony manufactured sensors you will find out that Canon gave been behind the ball for at least the last five years. There are numerous other blog posts confirming this as well. Pentax happen to use Sony sensors.

Anyway, I am trying to demonstrate that following the crowd isn't always to your benefit.

The K3 is approx. equal to Nikon D7200 while a K1 between a Nikon D750 and D810. The K1 would also be approximately equal to a Canon 5D mk iii.

If you are into landscape, then the K1 with pixel shift will apparently rival medium format quality (refer to info from Diglloyd).

In other words, if you know what you are doing, then Pentax/Ricoh is more than sufficient for photography.

This is without mentioning the 645Z.

Howie Be
"Standing out from the crowd" it's just an expression that makes some people think they are different. There is no more Canon/Nikon crowd. It's more like a mirrorless crowd where all DSLRs are standing out.

Canon sensor are behind Sony sensor and yet Nikon can't keep up with Canon in terms of sales. Also, portrait and sports photographer still prefer Canon.

What I think it's more important for Pentax users (and this is true for other brands: Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, etc.) is to stand out from the crowd with their work (their photographs). That is the best way to promote a brand. And maybe with the new full frame around the corner we will see Pentax brand standing out from the crowd more often.
03-09-2016, 04:20 AM   #57
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
"Standing out from the crowd" it's just an expression that makes some people think they are different. There is no more Canon/Nikon crowd. It's more like a mirrorless crowd where all DSLRs are standing out.

Canon sensor are behind Sony sensor and yet Nikon can't keep up with Canon in terms of sales. Also, portrait and sports photographer still prefer Canon.

What I think it's more important for Pentax users (and this is true for other brands: Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, etc.) is to stand out from the crowd with their work (their photographs). That is the best way to promote a brand. And maybe with the new full frame around the corner we will see Pentax brand standing out from the crowd more often.

Well said
03-19-2016, 08:11 PM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Also, portrait and sports photographer still prefer Canon.
probably a B2B thing with sponsorships, endorsements, deals, and related stuff especially for industry professionals / studios. They then use this "display of market share" to get enthusiasts to buy their products.

If Pentax had aggressive B2B marketing back then things could probably be different today.
03-19-2016, 11:41 PM   #59
Site Supporter

Am I the only one who feels left out buying a pentax?

Left out? Left out of what? Man you are buying into a cult. All is good in the Pentax valley.
03-20-2016, 05:47 AM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been shooting Pentax since 1985 here in the USA. We have two camera stores here in town and neither have carried Pentax for many years. They will not even take Pentax mount lens or camera in for a trade. I have been buying my lenses from mail order and now on the internet for years. There are many times I wish I could try a lens out before I buy it. None of my friends shoot Pentax so comparing images from the same lenses is not an option. I have heard every story in the book about how other brands are better. I could care less. The K3 is hands down the best crop sensor camera on the market. No one has anything close to the build of the K3 in a crop sensor cameras. Sometimes I do feel a little left out. That is the way it is when you buck the trend and what everyone else is doing. The only thing I would gain from switching to another system is being able to shoot with extremely long glass I could never afford.