Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2016, 03:39 AM   #31
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I have not had problems using Pentax. I have a few friends/family who use Pentax as well -- mainly because of my influence, I suppose. I don't actually know that many people who shoot a lot with SLRs. But I guess if you need quick service or things like that, you do need some local support and that would be a bigger deal to me, than if I had friends who shot with Pentax cameras.

That's exactly how I feel. I didn't know the support is not so well here. Maybe I just fell in love when I held the camera. I didn't do much research. I just held, loved it. And bought then and there. Lol

03-02-2016, 06:11 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The Canon label isn't sharp. Was it miss-focused or shutter speed too slow?
Now you're just getting stupid.

Sharp focus isn't necessary. Acceptable focus is. It's always been that way. You can only have sharp focus in a very small portion of your image, even stopped down. Stopping down doesn't increase the amount of area in sharp focus much at all, only the area in acceptable focus, gets to be much larger.

Last edited by normhead; 03-02-2016 at 06:28 AM.
03-02-2016, 08:30 AM - 5 Likes   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The Canon label isn't sharp. Was it miss-focused or shutter speed too slow?

Umm....you realize that's a 100% crop from the HD 55-300 WR at 300mm....

during a blizzard, right?
03-02-2016, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
...and uphill both ways.

03-02-2016, 09:46 AM   #35

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Odd. I don't have any camera focusing problems with either my K-30 and K-S1 at events (including a wedding workshop at a real ceremony). Any errors are mine.

The cross point in your K-3 is as good as it gets in the industry, rated to f2.8 at light levels down to -3eV, so who would do this better?

It could be said that for 3D tracking Nikon is king, but that's irrelevant in wedding, product, landscape, portrait, still life, macro, street photography, etc. And it's useful in sports, but not necessary - I shot a rodeo last weekend, handheld, AF-C, back button focus, and it was fine. (K-30, Tamron 70-200mm f2.8)

I have a K30 and I have to say that for wedding, the auto focus is really a big weak point. The low light focusing hunt a lot before lock, when it succeed to lock (with sigma 17-70 C)
03-02-2016, 01:19 PM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

I love shooting with Pentax, the feeling of the cameras, the performance and not been part of the "Canikon" mass is something that make us proud.. Perhaps the only thing that i wish to have more is Third Party things.. for example the newest lenses from Sigma Art.. or the newest Tamrons.. but Perhaps with the K1 everything will start changing to good. In my city we do have an official Pentax dealer, and repair shop.. most of the time is a more expensive than buying things straight from Amazon and make them ship over here so i most of the time buy on Amazon, Ebay, B&H, etc.. rentals mmm we we dont see that around here, not even with Canikons, but so far i have all the gear that i need for the job that I do. As far as i know, RICOH will start developing a good support system that ofcourse its going to take a while, but it will be done.
03-02-2016, 03:51 PM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iss2012 Quote
I have a K30 and I have to say that for wedding, the auto focus is really a big weak point. The low light focusing hunt a lot before lock, when it succeed to lock (with sigma 17-70 C)

Iss, the K-30's AF point sensitivity (-1eV) is not as great as the K-3's, but still better than the -0.5eV of say the Canon 7D. And the K-3 focuses in lower light than the mighty Canon 5D Mk III.

Look at the complaint here:

Canon 7D AF Performance Under Low Light Shooting Conditions

You can help yourself out if you're not entitled to use the AF Assist light - focus on something with crisp edges on the target, because differences are what an AF point measures. If you use the centre AF point, it can focus on either a horizontal or vertical line.

I had no issues quickly sneaking in a couple of snapshots in very poor light conditions (the shots below are at ISO 5000, ISO 5000 and ISO 3200!) when I attended a wedding that doubled as a workshop for photographers. We had to stay right out of the way of the convenors when they were actually shooting:

Last edited by clackers; 03-02-2016 at 04:10 PM.
03-02-2016, 06:10 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Complaining about AF is something everyone can do and feel comfortable doing because everybody is doing it.
03-02-2016, 06:17 PM   #39

Iss, the K-30's AF point sensitivity (-1eV) is not as great as the K-3's, but still better than the -0.5eV of say the Canon 7D. And the K-3 focuses in lower light than the mighty Canon 5D Mk III.

Look at the complaint here:

Canon 7D AF Performance Under Low Light Shooting Conditions

You can help yourself out if you're not entitled to use the AF Assist light - focus on something with crisp edges on the target, because differences are what an AF point measures. If you use the centre AF point, it can focus on either a horizontal or vertical line.

I had no issues quickly sneaking in a couple of snapshots in very poor light conditions (the shots below are at ISO 5000, ISO 5000 and ISO 3200!) when I attended a wedding that doubled as a workshop for photographers. We had to stay right out of the way of the convenors when they were actually shooting:

thanks for the advices but I said this because after the wedding I had the chance to try the 70d of a friend and I must admit that I was astonished by its focusing speed even in low light ! Compared to the k-30 it is simply day and night. I press the focus button and almost instantly and with zero hunting the focus is locked ! Wow that test really changed my vision on autofocus especially that I tested it in really bad lighting conditions. By the way, the mounted lens on the 70d was the 50mm 1.8.
Anyway, I never tried the k-3, it is for sure more effcient than the k-30 especially with its -3ev focusing. I really hope pentax catch up with the 70d on focusing, this would be the perfect dslr for me !
03-02-2016, 07:10 PM   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iss2012 Quote
By the way, the mounted lens on the 70d was the 50mm 1.8.
Right.

Note that the 70D is unusual, and not all its innovation is good:

http://m.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-70d/12
03-02-2016, 11:03 PM   #41
Veteran Member

As someone who rarely shoots as a pro, in a country that has some Pentax support (US), I don't have much of an issue. If I was a real pro, in a remote location, I would be similarly concerned.

That said, the most basic requirement for the pro shooter is to have a backup plan and equipment on hand for every pro shooting situation. That means, extra lenses, extra bodies, extra batteries, etc. You need to be covered for every situation. If Pentax service is especially spotty (true for even the US), you might even consider having a third body for emergency needs because you never know when a body you sent in for service will be returned (and properly repaired).
03-03-2016, 03:36 AM   #42

Right.

Note that the 70D is unusual, and not all its innovation is good:

Canon EOS 70D Review: Digital Photography Review
very interesting. It shows that the dual pixel focus is faster, and more accurate, but not very suitable for tracking moving subjects. Thanks for the link
03-03-2016, 10:51 AM   #43

As a guy doing occasionally press photos and some portrait/fashion shootings in Ireland (no easy Pentax support around), I bought a second hand K5 in addition to my main K3. I had it in perfect condition with a reasonable 30K shutter count for only 200 euros. This is in my opinion a good way to be sure that you can still shoot even if you have a problem with a camera. The K5 AF is definitely slower compared to K3 but the image quality is really on same level in my opinion regarding DR, noise and tones.

I personally had to work at a point with some D7000 and D7100 and I agree with them feeling not as tough as the K3. I have used K3 and K5 in some really harsh conditions (in the Irish rain, wind and mud) and these cameras will never let you down
03-03-2016, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #44
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Umm....you realize that's a 100% crop from the HD 55-300 WR at
300mm....
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
during a blizzard, right?
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
...and uphill both ways.
You guys kill me...well played

Steve
03-03-2016, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Irfanintekhab Quote
Hey everyone,
It was a tough decision, going from Nikon to pentax, I had some issues with it in the beginning. With focus being blurred. And in India pentax market is really not so well. So had issues with support. Anyway somehow it automatically got fixed after so many months. I don't regret it a bit now. But that experience just put a dent in my confidence to really recommend or when I am commercially working. It's like that little phobia settled in.

Anyway apart from that I am really happy with the camera. Now that it's one year with k3. It gives me everything I need. And I've blown some people away by its image quality and convinced many people to switch too. Some people didn't even know and thought of it to be full frame till many months. Who never heard about Pentax dslrs. However I feel left out in matter of how common it is.

First is the support from other products, everyone supports canon/Nikon. Next is rentals. Next is support. Especially in India. It's so rare to find anything Pentax that sometimes I just feel like ditching this camera. No one even knows Pentax does DSLR!

I just wanted to know is it really that rare in your country/region? Do you feel the same sometimes? Do I switch? Cuz this is sometimes coming in way of my commercial work. And to switch is kind of a tough call. It's like back to zero and I'll have to deal with some broken months if I switch.

Please let me know where do you live and do you feel the same? And any suggestions. I live in Hyderabad, India & Kuwait, and this problem seems to be in both the places
I'm from the Philippines, where Pentax bodies are made, and even here, after-sales support is laughable but they do try their best to improve. Marketing is even more laughable. And they're not improving in that aspect.

Considering that Pentax is made here, we few Pentaxians are also like some occult group to the C/N/S/F clubs. But we don't mind. It actually feels like we're Vader's ship in the midst of all the TIE fighters.

If you say it does what you want and need it to do, why switch again? Also, I use mine for small-time commercial work, clients don't care as long as they don't have to provide you your gear lol.

If it's a matter of image as a photographer, you don't have to worry about using a Pentax. If it's about using more gear, well you do have to worry, but then it's something more easily solved than the fear of not being "in" with the crowd.