Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2016, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #46

U1 set for HDR
U2 set for using manual lenses

03-15-2016, 12:50 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've tried setting one up for bracketing with A mode as a basis. However, I don't use it much because I dislike that I seem to have to save the mode with a fixed Aperture setting. For instance, when I save the mode, the camera was set at f8, so everytime I switch the dial to U1, I end up in f8. I'd rather have the mode pick up the aperture from the last mode (much like occurs when you switch between M, Av, and even TAv); at least that's my recollection.

Reason: I shoot bracketed for scenes I think might need an HDR treatment. I mostly shoot in Av or M mode, and if I am going to shoot bracketed, I want the Aperture fixed. However, when I switch the U1, it usually changes aperture to whatever the mode was saved as. Of course I can change it, but I had actually hoped for something I could quickly change to.

Alternatively, and I know this is a digression, I had set the fx button to toggle bracketing, but I hate that I can't toggle back out of it with the same button. It's my only real issue with the operation of the K-3, and I think the user mode on the K-5 was the same way. It's a minor issue at that, but I mention it here in case I am missing something.
03-15-2016, 01:27 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
I've tried setting one up for bracketing with A mode as a basis. However, I don't use it much because I dislike that I seem to have to save the mode with a fixed Aperture setting. For instance, when I save the mode, the camera was set at f8, so everytime I switch the dial to U1, I end up in f8. I'd rather have the mode pick up the aperture from the last mode (much like occurs when you switch between M, Av, and even TAv); at least that's my recollection.
I can't agree with you. I need User Mode to start up in my default settings, not whatever I had set last. That's the whole point of User mode. I can change all sorts of settings while I'm shooting, then all I have to do is turn the camera off and on and I'm back to the original setup.

If f8 is not suitable, select a more suitable aperture. The camera will hold the new aperture until you turn it off.

Or maybe you want to choose another default aperture. Let's say you use f5.6 most often for bracketing. Make the aperture change, then save the new setting in the User menu. I do this frequently depending on which lens I'm using. If I'm shooting action with the DA 55-300mm, my default aperture is f8. With the DA*300, default is f5.6. I choose the correct aperture when I mount the lens and save it in the User settings.
03-15-2016, 01:39 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I can't agree with you. I need User Mode to start up in my default settings, not whatever I had set last. That's the whole point of User mode. I can change all sorts of settings while I'm shooting, then all I have to do is turn the camera off and on and I'm back to the original setup.

If f8 is not suitable, select a more suitable aperture. The camera will hold the new aperture until you turn it off.

Or maybe you want to choose another default aperture. Let's say you use f5.6 most often for bracketing. Make the aperture change, then save the new setting in the User menu. I do this frequently depending on which lens I'm using. If I'm shooting action with the DA 55-300mm, my default aperture is f8. With the DA*300, default is f5.6. I choose the correct aperture when I mount the lens and save it in the User settings.
I do realize I can change the aperture setting, and I can see that being able to fix it could be a benefit. I think I just wish there was an option for it to stick with the current setting just as setting any other aperture is a setting. I shoot in all sorts of conditions, and I don't really favor a specific aperture. But, when I am out shooting and I find I want to invoke the bracket mode, I am usually already at the aperture I want (whatever that is); I'd rather not have to reset the exposure when I turn the dial. It's just a preference.

Like I said before, I can mostly get where I want customizing the fx button, too. I wish that worked more as a toggle, but I've managed with both.

03-15-2016, 06:50 PM - 1 Like   #50
Pentaxian

U1 for Takumars @Av
U2 for K/M @M
with different e-dial setting
K-30
03-15-2016, 06:59 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Gave up trying to figure out all that stuff. That "old dog, new trick" stuff and all.
03-21-2016, 04:42 AM - 1 Like   #52
Pentaxian

Omg, those U's have purpose?

03-30-2016, 04:55 AM - 2 Likes   #53

I have a K S2, so have only U1 and U2. Since I use back button focus, which can be hard for casual shooters to understand, I have U2 set up for when I hand the camera off to someone else so I can get in the shot. Camera reverts to conventional half-press focusing and uses face recognition. Still deciding what to do with U1. This thread is giving me some great ideas.
04-12-2016, 12:47 AM - 1 Like   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
Omg, those U's have purpose?
hahaha that's what I thought before creating this thread =)))
04-15-2016, 08:26 PM   #55
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
hahaha that's what I thought before creating this thread =)))

Hi redcat. With so many choices given to you, what settings have you decided upon for your " USERS " ???
04-16-2016, 12:07 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi redcat. With so many choices given to you, what settings have you decided upon for your " USERS " ???
I'm still trying and not decided yet, so many options indeed
04-16-2016, 03:04 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Tnx guys!

05-05-2016, 09:06 AM   #58
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ultraviolet Quote
U1 for Takumars @Av
U2 for K/M @M
with different e-dial setting
K-30
What does U1 do besides Av {which is already on the same dial}?

What does U2 do besides M {which is already on the same dial}?

I'm asking because I have both Super Takumar and Pentax-M lenses, and I hadn't previously thought of using the "U" settings to support those lenses.
06-22-2016, 09:34 AM - 2 Likes   #59

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I set my U1 on the K5 and K30 for B&W Shooting with the IR Filter on.
Produces some nice in camera B&Ws.

Raw files are unaffected.
07-19-2016, 01:31 AM   #60
Veteran Member

I'm trying to find better use for the user modes: U1 for outdoor, U2 for normal indoor and U3 for low-light/high ISO indoor.

Doesn't seem like SR is saved as user setting? LCD brightness and card setting (single or dual) also isn't saved. Meh.