Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2016, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #31

I've set mine up for back button AF focusing rather than my normal back button AF to cancel auto focus.

With that said

U1 is M
U2 is Av
U3 is TAv

Only thing I don't like about this setup is being able to autofocus during Video with the AF button under these User Modes... which forces me to manual focus. Oh well.

03-05-2016, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #32

U1 for color extraction
U2 for toy camera
U3 not used as of yet

I like using these modes in a fast, must have situation, instead of having to apply at the time or search for the image to apply later.
03-05-2016, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #33

Photos: Gallery
On my GR I have:
My1= TAv f4.5, 1/100, full press snap at 2.5meters
My2= M iso200, aperture priority for quick exposure
My3= Macro TAv= pinpoint focus with grey scale magnification on.

All 3 My modes are raw+ and have other custom default settings.
03-05-2016, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

This is just great, so many ideas. I've been ignoring user option all this time. It makes sense now what they are for.

03-05-2016, 03:53 PM   #35
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
This is just great, so many ideas. I've been ignoring user option all this time. It makes sense now what they are for.

Exactly right. That is why the new K1 has 5 user settings. If they were useless as some have suggested, why put 5 on the " flagship " ???
03-05-2016, 04:09 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On my K3,
U1 is TAV, 500th, ƒ8, RAW, drive on continuous low, ISO capped at 10,000, and some other settings, my basic go-to start point. As others have said, I use it to get a starting point when picking up the camera. If I've been doing copy work or something else different, I want a quick way to get back to typical shooting settings.
U2 is a 5-frame bracket in Av, for HDR, or when the light is confusing and I don't have the time to chimp and correct. RAW and ISO fixed at 100.
U3 is Av, jpeg, medium file size, I use my camera at the office for site visits, and my IT admin does not appreciate me filling up his servers with big RAW images, others need to view and work with the files and don't have the software to get into RAWs.

I had basically the same set up on my K5, plus a couple others; at first with the K3, I missed the two extra, but having a hard time remembering what they were now,
My wife uses the K5 mostly now, and I have one set for her with her name on it, it's basically the TAV in my U1, but in jpeg. She does lots of shooting for the gallery she works at, they use most of her stuff for web display, and they want it quick, no time or need for RAW.

Once I'm in one of the user modes, I change things to suit what the light and environment need, I use these modes as starting points, easier than diving into all the buttons to change drive, focus, and light temp settings.

There is a lot of stuff in there I don't use too: video, hardly ever; intervalometer, never; Digital Filters; never; in-camera HDR, never;
To each his own
03-05-2016, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Exactly right. That is why the new K1 has 5 user settings.
There are 5 settings in K5iis as well just under one button. I will read the manual. Again

03-05-2016, 06:49 PM   #38
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Exactly right. That is why the new K1 has 5 user settings. If they were useless as some have suggested, why put 5 on the " flagship " ???
I wouldn't for one minute suggest they are useless... But for me, personally, I've found no need to make use of them on my cameras just yet. I guess it's down to an individual's needs and wants...
03-05-2016, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #39
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I wouldn't for one minute suggest they are useless...

I know you didn't use those words BMC. It " is " all down to personal choice. From the many posts on this thread, I think some here would like more USER modes on there existing cameras. ( I know I could use them !!! ) There is a massive difference in saying that someone chooses not to use them as opposed to they are USELESS. I know that you stated the former. Apologies if you thought my post was directed at you.

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 03-05-2016 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Add text
03-05-2016, 07:41 PM - 1 Like   #40
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I know you didn't use those words BMC. It " is " all down to personal choice. From the many posts on this thread, I think some here would like more USER modes on there existing cameras. ( I know I could use more !!! )
Well, having read some of the ideas here, I can actually see myself trying a few saved configurations. It's just that I haven't found a need to, yet - that doesn't mean to say that if I try it, I won't find it useful. I definitely see the potential

---------- Post added 03-06-2016 at 02:41 AM ----------

Apologies if you thought my post was directed at you.
No need to apologise, that's not how I saw your post at all
03-05-2016, 08:16 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-3 User modes control a lot more parameters than the K-5 bodies.

Mine are set for Action, Tripod and Flash.
03-14-2016, 05:00 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry for a slight thread drift, but I notice that some people seem to have their User settings set for a specific aperture or shutter speed, or a combo of the two. Is there any way to do this on the K30 - it's not listed as one of the things that can be set in the manual.
03-14-2016, 05:19 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
K-3 User modes control a lot more parameters than the K-5 bodies.
At first, a lot of people (me included) found it a step backward to remove switches and use menus and buttons on the K-3. When starting to create user modes, it all became obvious why there were so many of those switches replaced by buttons.
03-14-2016, 11:55 AM   #44

I use them to jump to ISO400 and ISO800 quickly for manual shooting. Since you can't assign ISO to the eDials, this is the closest thing.
03-14-2016, 02:01 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
At first, a lot of people (me included) found it a step backward to remove switches and use menus and buttons on the K-3. When starting to create user modes, it all became obvious why there were so many of those switches replaced by buttons.
I had that discussion a few times. I prefer buttons because of the flexibility it gives with User modes, but I was definitely in the minority. I suspect many people are not using User modes, which is a shame because they are fantastic IMO.