Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-02-2016, 09:18 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would keep both for now and wait and to see the actual performance of the K-1 (in general and in crop mode). Then go for the combination of bodies that will provide the best image quality for your needs You have a window of time to wait to sell the K-3 since Ricoh has not released a new APS-C body yet. The K-3 will probably still hold its value anyway due to the on-board flash which the K-3II lacks. I have a K-3 and have had a K-5IIS in the past. I prefer the K-5IIS. Not as many bells and whistles as the K-3/K-3II, but I love the image quality. Just my 2 cents...

03-02-2016, 10:26 PM   #32
Veteran Member

As a K-3 owner who has also owned two of the 16mp cameras (and still has the K-01), my recommendation would be counter to what most others have offered. The K-5iis has wider dynamic range than the K-3, and the shutter appears to have greater stability. I'm somewhat disappointed with the vibration issue that slightly degrades many K-3 images shot in the important 1/60-1/180 range. That complaint does not seem to exist regarding the K-5 series.

Don't get me wrong. The K-3 is a superior overall camera based on the much better AF, and the high quality Live View and focus peaking for manual focusing; as a main camera it is superior. However, those attributes (AF/manual focusing) assuredly will be even better on the K-1. Bottom line, you will fetch more cash for the K-3 - and that will ease the pain of paying full price for the K-1. It could be a full year before we see much of a break on the K-1 pricing.
03-03-2016, 05:10 AM   #33

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Buy K-1. Use it for couple of weeks and see what is overlapping among K5-II and K3. Sell the piece whose maximum features you "inherited" into K-1. At the end you will have two cameras and all the features you liked it. [ Do you hear Cube Gooding Jr shouting "Show me the Money" ] :-)
03-03-2016, 05:35 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
As a K-3 owner who has also owned two of the 16mp cameras (and still has the K-01), my recommendation would be counter to what most others have offered. The K-5iis has wider dynamic range than the K-3, and the shutter appears to have greater stability. I'm somewhat disappointed with the vibration issue that slightly degrades many K-3 images shot in the important 1/60-1/180 range. That complaint does not seem to exist regarding the K-5 series.

Don't get me wrong. The K-3 is a superior overall camera based on the much better AF, and the high quality Live View and focus peaking for manual focusing; as a main camera it is superior. However, those attributes (AF/manual focusing) assuredly will be even better on the K-1. Bottom line, you will fetch more cash for the K-3 - and that will ease the pain of paying full price for the K-1. It could be a full year before we see much of a break on the K-1 pricing.
Dynamic range difference is negligible to minimal as per DxO.

What is the vibration issue that you mentioned? I am eager to read more about that.

03-03-2016, 06:20 AM   #35

Keep the K-5 IIs.
03-03-2016, 08:46 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TropicalMonkey Quote
Dynamic range difference is negligible to minimal as per DxO.

What is the vibration issue that you mentioned? I am eager to read more about that.
Most of the dynamic range difference is based on the ability of the K-5 series to reach down to 80 ISO, allowing for 14.1 stops vs. 13.4 on the K-3; at matching ISO starting at 100 on up there is no meaningful difference. Still, we are talking about 2/3rds of a stop, according to DxO, so fairly minor given that ISO 80 is the main reason - but real.

Others have reported very slight blur issues on the K-3, as well, so I'm not imaging it. Not at all sure if it is shutter or mirror slap related, but it is real. I'd say most pronounced at around 1/80th. Believe me, you have to pixel peep to see it, and then only in shots taken with sharper lenses and low ISO that exhibit very fine elements such as hair or animal fur. I saw a bit of it on the K-30, more on the K-3, and none AFAIK from the K-01 (no mirror, obviously).
03-03-2016, 09:48 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Most of the dynamic range difference is based on the ability of the K-5 series to reach down to 80 ISO, allowing for 14.1 stops vs. 13.4 on the K-3; at matching ISO starting at 100 on up there is no meaningful difference. Still, we are talking about 2/3rds of a stop, according to DxO, so fairly minor given that ISO 80 is the main reason - but real.

Others have reported very slight blur issues on the K-3, as well, so I'm not imaging it. Not at all sure if it is shutter or mirror slap related, but it is real. I'd say most pronounced at around 1/80th. Believe me, you have to pixel peep to see it, and then only in shots taken with sharper lenses and low ISO that exhibit very fine elements such as hair or animal fur. I saw a bit of it on the K-30, more on the K-3, and none AFAIK from the K-01 (no mirror, obviously).
Aaha! I see. I was always concerned about the potential for image blur caused by mirror flop vibration on a floating sensor! I noticed that the K3 mirror flop sound is very very slightly louder than that of K5 and K5-IIs.But the difference is hard to notice though. It is more of a shutter actuation sound than mirror flop.

I know K-01 is mirror less, but does K-01 also use electronic shutter?

I almost always pixel peep

03-03-2016, 10:53 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Nope -- mechanical shutter. It clicks.

And regarding the topic of the thread -- I currently have a K-01 and a K-3 II. If/when I upgrade to the K-1, I'm pretty sure I'll sell the K-3 II and continue to keep the K-01 for backup. And it's also small and light for travel!
03-03-2016, 11:16 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Aaha! I see. I was always concerned about the potential for image blur caused by mirror flop vibration on a floating sensor! I noticed that the K3 mirror flop sound is very very slightly louder than that of K5 and K5-IIs.But the difference is hard to notice though. It is more of a shutter actuation sound than mirror flop.

I almost always pixel peep
No, the K-01 isn't an electronic shutter, but it is extremely quiet and has an amazingly smooth feel. The camera has its obvious faults, but pure image quality surely isn't among them.

As for the vibration issue, I want to emphasize that it is not consistent but it clearly isn't the kind you see with an unsteady hand because it is a straight-line blur and not rotational. It is so little that it would be harder to see when pixel peeping on a 16 mp sensor. I really didn't notice the situation much until I started shooting primes more often, especially so with the DA 50mm.
03-03-2016, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

There is absolutely no reason to keep the K5IIS, the K-1 is almost identical in crop mode.
The K-3 gives you an advantage in reach for wildlife, magnification for macro, and burst speed for action. The K5IIs gives you nothing, you can't do with a K-1 in crop mode.

If i said something before my apologies. I hate posting more than once a thread that is essentially a poll, but sometimes I lose track of where I've posted.

Since you have a whole K-5II built into your K-1, it would be better to sell them both, rather than just the K-3. If you have a K-1 why would you even need a K-5II?
03-03-2016, 11:48 AM   #41
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by erikro Quote
I have a K-5lls and a K-3ll, if I had to sell one of them, it would be the K-3ll. I am so pleased with my K-5lls a stunning camera.

Keep both!
I will not part with my K5IIs. Best Pentax camera I have ever owned. I shoot mostly at or above 1600 and it is marvelous. Can't knock the K3.....I see excellent results from it but I don't need the extra features or the larger files.
I may be wanting the K1...there are a few things about it that I find very attractive, but my K5IIs will not be going anywhere.

Regards!
03-03-2016, 12:15 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am also thinking of keeping K5 IIs partly because it is cheaper of the two! K5-IIs was bought from another forum member.
K3 was bought brand new with non-transferable extended warranty! May be I should keep both and wait for a few months before replacing one!
03-03-2016, 12:54 PM   #43
Veteran Member

May be I should keep both and wait for a few months
...and how much dust they will collect once you get the K-1 (Sorry - couldn't resist..)
03-03-2016, 01:06 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with several previous posts -the photographic logic is entirely with keeping the K-3 IF you do macro or wildlife -the pixel density is higher for fine detail and the reach of telephotos will be further than the K-1. The K5ii doesn't (I don't think - I don't own one) do anything that the K-1 can't do -probably better. If it's about the money, you'd obvioiusly get more for the K-3 - but if you're going to sell that, you might as well sell both, unless the payout on the K-5 is too low to be worth selling.
03-03-2016, 01:16 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I will not part with my K5IIs. Best Pentax camera I have ever owned. I shoot mostly at or above 1600 and it is marvelous. Can't knock the K3.....I see excellent results from it but I don't need the extra features or the larger files.
I may be wanting the K1...there are a few things about it that I find very attractive, but my K5IIs will not be going anywhere.

Regards!
Rupert, the K-1 sounds like it's going to be better above 1600, looks good to 6400 with preliminary results. So, even that's gone.