Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-02-2016, 01:39 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by TropicalMonkey Quote
I have a K5-IIs and a K3 but I am thinking of selling one of them to justify the purchase of a K1. Which camera should I sell?
I like the image quality of K5-IIs and features of K3! :-)
I'd keep the K-3, since the K-1 in crop mode will be essentially the same resolution as the K-5 IIs. That said I have a K-5 & a K-3 and would probably keep both if I eventually get a K-1.

03-02-2016, 01:46 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sell the K-5 IIs. The K-3 is a very slight step backward in terms of IQ, but the features and better overall performance make up for it, and the backward step in IQ is not really noticeable in most situations. Also, if you're getting a K-1, it basically becomes a better K-5 IIs in crop mode anyway.
03-02-2016, 01:57 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BryantCP Quote
I'd keep the K-3, since the K-1 in crop mode will be essentially the same resolution as the K-5 IIs.
My thoughts exactly. Sell K5 and keep K3.
03-02-2016, 01:58 PM   #19
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TropicalMonkey Quote
I have a K5-IIs and a K3 but I am thinking of selling one of them to justify the purchase of a K1. Which camera should I sell?
I like the image quality of K5-IIs and features of K3! :-)
I would keep the K-3 just because it has a higher resolution, which would be the most beneficial for your tele shots. The K-1 (in crop mode) should more or less match the image quality of the K-5.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-02-2016, 01:59 PM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
Sell the K-5 IIs. The K-3 is a very slight step backward in terms of IQ, but the features and better overall performance make up for it, and the backward step in IQ is not really noticeable in most situations. Also, if you're getting a K-1, it basically becomes a better K-5 IIs in crop mode anyway.
I would consider it a step forward in most situations (i.e. at low ISOs, or at night in difficult lighting), but a small step back at high ISOs just because of sensor noise.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-02-2016, 02:16 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BryantCP Quote
I'd keep the K-3, since the K-1 in crop mode will be essentially the same resolution as the K-5 IIs. That said I have a K-5 & a K-3 and would probably keep both if I eventually get a K-1.
That is a valid point. K1 sensor has the same pixel density as that of K5.

---------- Post added 03-02-16 at 03:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I would consider it a step forward in most situations (i.e. at low ISOs, or at night in difficult lighting), but a small step back at high ISOs just because of sensor noise.
If we enable high ISO noise reduction in K3 via the custom settings, will it match the IQ of K5 IIs?
That is something I never tried while comparing these two.

Edit:

I tried that test in low light and found no difference in IQ between the two. The slight difference I noticed was in favor of K3.

Last edited by TropicalMonkey; 03-02-2016 at 09:15 PM.
03-02-2016, 04:11 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Late to the party: I'd keep the K5II AND the K3 !!
I have both and I am not going to sell either.

03-02-2016, 05:47 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I have the K-3II and K-5IIS. I have never lacked image quality in large prints from the K-5IIS. Images I have gotten with it are brilliant. The K-3II has excellent detail also, along with resolution and AF that is superior. I have seen the K-3 get nice compliments also, and I can see the reasoning behind K-3 users finding the resolution to be valuable, though I do not have one. I do not want to be offensive, but the K-5IIS really stood out for me in performance, and has hard to beat results/performance. When I first got my K-3II, I thought "Is this going to give me results comparable or better than my K-5IIS?", and after I used it I was amazed. The resolution, detail, AF, and low light performance, plus the GPS, Astrotracer, and Pixel Shift resolution were all there. So, not that I know that much about the K-3, keeping the K-5IIS would not be a foolish move. They actually sell for approximately 120 dollars more than the K-3 presently. If you had the K-1 and K-5IIS in your kit, you would be in quite a stable position for performance and the K-1 would give you all of the newest Pentax features/technology. I know there are probably a lot of K-3 users that prize the performance/features, and I can understand that, but the K-5IIS is a solid performer also.
03-02-2016, 06:00 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
They actually sell for approximately 120 dollars more than the K-3 presently.
If true this is more of a reason to sell the K5 as it will better fund the K1
03-02-2016, 06:11 PM   #25
Pentaxian

K-5IIS or K-3, it is a choice.
03-02-2016, 07:52 PM   #26
Veteran Member

one of the main advantages of having two bodies is using one to compensate for the shortcomings of the other. the k-3 has higher pixel density and higher fps than both the k-1 and k-5iis, the k-5iis doesn't have any features i can think of off the top of my head that surpass both the k-3 and k-1. sell the k-5iis.
03-02-2016, 07:57 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You might need to sell both to afford the K-1, because you wont get much for either...
03-02-2016, 08:02 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Keep the K3..... the rear AF button is in the right place....

Personally, I'd just save for a few months more and sell neither...
03-02-2016, 09:12 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
After reading complaints about K3's noise, I tested both the cameras in low light (FA50mm/1.4 @2.8 and 1/15 sec, ISO6400) with in-body noise reduction for K3 set at medium. The resulting picture at 100% zoomed-in was of the same IQ for both or slightly better in K3. When K3's image was resized to be of the same width as that of K5IIs, K3 was the clear winner. I will try to do this in a more controlled fashion and post the results.

*** Those who find K3 to be noisier please do this experiment, so that we can take this misconception out of our minds, if all agree. ***

Don't get me wrong K5 IIs is a fine camera. I can't let either of them go.

Last edited by TropicalMonkey; 03-02-2016 at 09:20 PM.
03-02-2016, 09:16 PM   #30
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. You cannot count on being pleased w/ the K-1, or in ways you may think now, so keep the camera you like better.

If there is no difference I would think sell the K-3, the camera that gets more money towards the K-1, is the one to sell.