Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2008, 02:55 PM   #1

perils of SR too close?

I just got my K20D, and I was working with a DS before that, so I'm new to this `shake reduction' stuff, and I have what's probably a pretty basic question: they say not to use shake reduction up close - does this mean that it will be actively counterproductive, or just that it shouldn't be relied on? (That is, if I'm shooting close handheld, do I need to remember to turn it off, or just to make sure the shutter is fast enough that I won't need it?)

07-06-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wouldn't worry about it either way, the only time that SR has ruined my shot was when I forgot to turn it off on the tripod.

The chances are pretty good that you won't even require the feature on 99% of your shots anyways

Have fun with it
07-07-2008, 02:30 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I agree with little laker here, SR tends to ruin more shots than it helps. I can't recall a time when I actively used SR for any real purpose. I have played around with it at home but can't see any tangible increase in image quality.
07-07-2008, 05:59 AM   #4
Site Supporter

There are threads on this forum where people have posted examples where SR has allowed longer exposures without blur. Also, some magazine reviews have examples of Pentax SR working. Myself, I leave it on almost all the time except when on a tripod. I don't have any definitive A/B comparisons but I've taken a LOT of shots at 200 and 300 mm hand held and I'm not the steadiest person around.

If all your exposures are under 1/60th second than you don't need SR but it should not hurt either.

Last edited by LeoTaylor; 07-07-2008 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Added last sentence
07-07-2008, 06:11 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Can't imagine people thinking SR doesn't help. I get more keepers with it than without. Especially with longer lenses. Make sure yours is working properly. My K10D had a problem with that - all well now.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #8 in P&S forum. Enter #9. Any type camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject.
07-07-2008, 06:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I wouldn't worry about it either way, the only time that SR has ruined my shot was when I forgot to turn it off on the tripod.
I've noticed you comment on this before.

Could you say a little more about the shot, and what makes you so convinced that it was SR that caused the problem.

I take it you released the shutter manually, rather than using a delay, or a remote?

I know about the warning in the manual, and I've heard people's assertions about the SR mechanism looking for shake that isn't there, and thereby introducing it, but despite looking for it quite carefully myself, I've seen no actual evidence that it's a problem.
07-07-2008, 07:03 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I will never purchase a camera without SR. I have taken handheld shots of the Liberty Statue on a rocking boat, at night, without a tripod or anything to brace against, and they are sharp. Exposure time was about 1/15 to 1/10 seconds, at 50 mm. No way to do this without SR (I tried switching it off just for fun... try and you will see).

Long story short : with telephoto lenses, and in low light, SR is the best thing since sliced bread (not that sliced bread has anything to do with telephoto...)
07-07-2008, 10:24 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by NicholasN Quote
I agree with little laker here, SR tends to ruin more shots than it helps. I can't recall a time when I actively used SR for any real purpose. I have played around with it at home but can't see any tangible increase in image quality.
You are agreeing on a point he didn't even make?